The XT550 Thread: Info, Stories and Mods Inside!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by XTwarrior, Feb 16, 2010.

1. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    No way I would trust that Wix. Very obvious it is not the same as the oem.
  2. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen wix automotive filters beeing tested, where they did quite good. I use them for my car. So the brand per say isnt bad.
    But that one sure doesnt work out for our bikes.
  3. Westcoasthumpin

Westcoasthumpin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered a different brand. Amazon gave me a refund on the Wix.

I have used Wix automotive filters in the past. They have always been of good quality.

I think this one is a factory second or a knockoff. The unrolled edge, rough machining, and metal debris are concerning.
  4. Westcoasthumpin

Westcoasthumpin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20191218_114321.jpg
    I went with the same filter I used last time. Hiflo Filtro ordered off Amazon.

Lined up from left to right; new Hiflo, defective Wix, and the used Filtro.

What filters are you guys using?
  5. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yamaha ONLY!!.the paper of the filter is the best.the hiflo is ok but if you dont use the bike for long period the paper is getting hard
    Westcoasthumpin likes this.
  6. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    send you mail
  7. Ohhhh

Ohhhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All - finding it difficult to do a search on this forum but I have an XT550 that needs a rebore and I am struggling to find some .50 pistons. I have seen that people have bored out to fit an XT600 std piston - is this a direct swap and with just using an XT600 std piston without any other change ?
    Thanks O
  8. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. Ohhhh

Ohhhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    found some info - seems that it can be done and is a direct fit
  10. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    no you canot because the 550 piston is 92 mm and the 600 95 and after the sleeve is gonna be very thin .
    you need this

https://www.ebay.pl/itm/362209523688
  11. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've seen people bore out the stock sleeve no problem. Xt600 is 95mm, and they get bored out to +3mm aswell.
    I recall a friend had to modify the piston ever so slightly to clear 2 of the valves.

However, that's great price for a piston, if you can find rings for it aswell :)
  12. Ohhhh

Ohhhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    between the rebore, piston, rings and all the postage I am considering one of the barrel piston items on fleabay will be the cheapest to get things up and running
  13. Ohhhh

Ohhhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bit of a saga so stay with me - I bought two basket cases, an XT550 with an engine in bits and a XT400 with a knocking Crank, for a trail event next June, the idea being to put them together, register and then sell them afterwards. I also just bought a complete XT550 engine that I have just started stripping for inspection:

XT400 - Am I correct in the assumption that I can have the crank reconditioned so should be a strip and send off ?

XT550 - Engine in bits has a corroded bore and it looks like the cheapest way is to buy a secondhand barrel and piston and get this put back in rather than a rebore. The piston on the ebay link is cheap but I am struggling to find a +.75 ring set

XT550 - Complete engine upon inspection has a 600 rebore (95mm) but also a bent inlet value and a broken valve stem oil seal collar - I am guessing that the broken stem has scrapped the head and I am thinking that I would look out for a 600 head which should fit on a avoid the danger of bending another valve.
    Will a 600 head fit onto a 550 barrel without adjustment ?

Hopefully in a few months there should be two complete bikes with a spare engine

I am only keeping the complete (600) engine in case the 400 hits issues

Owen
  14. Ohhhh

Ohhhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just realised that it is end of the valve guide that is broken so I can refurb the 550 head - still thinking of converting back to 550 barrel spec - is there a market for an overbored 550 barrel and piston ?
  15. Ohhhh

Ohhhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an issue with the Kickstart sprocket idler gear not meshing with the kick gear - I have just replaced it but it is too sloppy in the crankcase so when pressure is applied it slips - is there a bush that should be in the crankcase ?
  16. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's a washer both behind and in front of the idler gear and a circlip each place aswell, do you have theese installed?
  17. Ohhhh

Ohhhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks there was a missing circlip which I replaced but the issue was still there -turns out the Kick gear bearing in the crankcase has broken and taken some of the case housing with it so I will have to split and replace the crankcase half. My faith in this engine has fallen to a new low, thinking I will take apart the gearbox side at the same time and check there are no issues before fitting back on the bike
  18. pete63

pete63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish I had the in depth knowledge of you guys, love watching XT engine rebuilds on you tube and have respect for anyone that can have all those bits and know exactly where each one goes!
  19. Ohhhh

Ohhhh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pete - never confuse knowledge with random button pushing. If I had been knowledgeable I would have discovered the issue before fitting the engine !

The only advantage is that I have a well stocked tool supply and an understanding wife, all the rest is trial and error
    pete63 likes this.
  20. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    Those case breaks come from the kickback when starting. If the wrong procedure is used they will break things, even bones. Same is true with all the older motors in other brands, some were worse than others.