1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The XT550 Thread: Info, Stories and Mods Inside!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by XTwarrior, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Rodsmetal

Rodsmetal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_2267.JPG IMG_2259.JPG Range testing the xt550 fresh paint dakar colours
    massholejim, Squily, baldman1 and 2 others like this.
  2. DJCW

DJCW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great pics, thank you for sharing. The XT looks good, did you spray up yourself and what paint did you use?
  3. Wyoman64

Wyoman64 Thumper XTraordinaire

Oddometer:
    SANY4438.JPG
    Great news! What sounded to me like piston slap turned out to be an exhaust leak at the header to muffler joint. I thought it was a little premature for piston wear, it only has 12K miles on it. Nice and quiet now. Phew!

Anyway, the bike is currently for sale for $3K. It seems high, I know, but you'd be hard pressed to find an XT550 in better original condition unless you go to Greece. PM me if anyone is interested. I haven't listed it yet, so this forum gets first dibs until I do. Brian
    intothewind and Westcoasthumpin like this.
  4. Westcoasthumpin

Westcoasthumpin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put some cheap turn signals on the rear today ... then went for a ride:D

I ordered some Chinesium LEDs from Amazon. They were a returned item, so even cheaper. One was broken in the box.

Returned them and went with a set of Bikemasters on the rear.

They are reasonably bright. There is a small opening at the bottom of the lense. I will probably pop off the lenses and apply some silicone. Much smaller than stock. Better for some of the riding I have been doing.

20200302_143404.jpg
    intothewind likes this.
  5. jank

jank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

I just bought an XT550, I'll post pics later, but she is not pretty.
    Amongst some minor issues I need to sort out, there is a stiff link in the chain, so I might as well change the gearing a bit.
    I feel that the original gearing is a bit too long for my liking. I only had it out once, few kilometers on the pavement, but i feel that it revs very low at 100km/h (60mph), ant that is the max speed I'm planning to demand from this bike, and I suspect that at slow, technical stuf it will be struggling on 1st gear.

What are your off road gearing options with the original swingarm? What is the chain lenght (number of links) for this setup?

Thank you.

EDIT- also, what tire sizes would be ok for Dunlop D606? I can choose from 120/90-18 and 130/90-18 for the back.
  6. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've geared my bike down, I added 3 teeth on the rear.
    Makes 5th more usable on normal roads, and the gap from 1st to 2nd doesnt feel so big.
    jank likes this.
  7. Rodsmetal

Rodsmetal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two pack paint with the flexi adative for plastic . tt 43mm disc ftont end , yz465 swing-arm and shock (the second conversion i have done) and oil cooler for Australia conditions , custom made stickers for tank 83 dakar replica tt seat cover cut down . will post more about the build later .
  8. jimmibanke

jimmibanke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_20200321_175016.jpg Greetings. I currently have my KTM 690 and exc 450. But I finally feel like a real man when I bourght this xt 550 IMG_20200321_174807-01.jpeg IMG_20200319_142844.jpg IMG_20200319_142837.jpg
    Westcoasthumpin and ernestoXT550 like this.
  9. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I won this bike on a lottery!!!!
    Westcoasthumpin likes this.
  10. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Westcoasthumpin and jimmibanke like this.
  11. DJCW

DJCW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Luv my old XT550 '83. Engine is noisy but seems to pull OK. Not sure if these were designed for long road trips. I have done one run to the seaside and back from home which is about a 200 mile round trip, max extended speed on the motorway around 70 - 75mph. The bike is stock, no extra oil coolers or anything. Fantastic old bike and don't want to put under undue pressure, is a trip like that likely to cause any damage?
  12. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    depends on the type of noise ..
  13. DJCW

DJCW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reply ernestoXT550. I fixed the clatter from the drive sprocket woodruff key so that went away. Now I can hear the engine a bit better, I can hear knocking that matches revs so more likely bearing or top end Hard to tell. From videos I have watched the engines are noisy so hard to tell if any real issues or not. Appreciate any knowledge or experience I can use to check if any that I should be worried about. Sometimes I think, just ride and enjoy and deal with it when / if anything happens. :)
  14. Westcoasthumpin

Westcoasthumpin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hope everyone is doing well.
    20200421_103656-EFFECTS.jpg
  15. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you don't have an oil thermometer, I would recommend you not to exceed 90 ΚΜΗ.
    check the oil level before you start .I assume your valves are properly adjustable
  16. DJCW

DJCW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Westcoasthumpin likes this.
  17. DJCW

DJCW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the advice, I have seen the oil filler cap type on ebay, not sure if all that good or what temp is normal running temp. Will investigate.
    No too much noise from the tappets so I think adjusted OK.
  18. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the oil thermometer is the best aftermarket accessory for the xt. the normal temperature is 90C-110C
  19. DJCW

DJCW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - it will have to be my next birthday present, Hard times but they will have to prise my 550 from my dying hands...
  20. Wyoman64

Wyoman64 Thumper XTraordinaire

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a spare left engine/stator cover? I don't need the stator, just the cover. Thanks!