The XT550 Thread: Info, Stories and Mods Inside!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by XTwarrior, Feb 16, 2010.

1. DJCW

DJCW Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    11755884_452001428313622_7972126445743408013_n.jpg
  3. Rasmuson

Rasmuson n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey y'all,
    My XT550 is giving me some issues. I've had my xt for a couple years now and it's always run well. Apart from regular maintenance I haven't had to do anything to it. It's always run well.

Over the last few weeks it's been giving me some trouble. It usually starts from cold in a few kicks. It seems to idle well and ride normal with the following exception: at higher rpm s it sometimes stalls. The other issue is after I've been riding for a while if I cut the engine I can't get it to start again. No matter how much I kick it won't start. If I leave it for 30 min to an hour it will start again and run fine, but then as soon as I stop it gives me the same issue.

I tried cleaning the carb and that didn't do anything for me. My other thoughtw possibly the spark plug because it seemed like there was a gas smell in the exaughst. I just replaced that. It was working well for a minute and I thought I was home free. But it's doing the same thing now.

If anyone has had anything similar, or any ideas for me I would very much appreciate it. Thanks
  4. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    check the membrane on the secondary carb.must be soft and and check for small holes on the membrane
  5. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a common issue with these and the 600's when running on the rich side(but they start so much nicer this way in colder climates). These old kicker bikes along with 70's designed carbs love to fill the intakes with fuel vapors when hot displacing the oxygen . On top of that when shutting down they tend to suck in one last fuel charge that doesn't get burnt. When it sits for a bit the vapors liquefy and enough oxygen gets in to start . All this wouldn't be an issue if a person could kick them over fast enough like a starter does . My E-start converted '86 has no issues even though I swapped the same carbs to it that would cause the same issues on my '88 . The starter cranks it over faster and steady which flushes the intake quickly and it starts right up. The '88 I had to either restart within 2 minutes or wait 10(had a Honda XL600 that did the same thing).
    If it didn't do any of this in the past you'll have to see whats giving it extra gas and running it rich . Twisting the throttle wide open , with ignition off and giving it several good kicks helps but it annoying to kick more than necessary .

The other possibility is if the cdi is getting weak which usually shows up in harder starting and above 4500rpm miss ,gets worse when hot . When it stalls if you can quickly check for spark and it's condition .

6. Lars Chr.

Lars Chr. Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem from time to time.
    It often helps to turn the idle screw 1 to 1 1/2 turn towards higher ideling, and then it starts much easier. When running I turn it back to approx 1000 rpm.
  7. xlv

xlv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello
    tried to search in this tread but couldnĀ“t figure out how :(
    has anyone doen a carb swap to a single or dual set up and made it work well ?
  8. ENDRUO MURL

ENDRUO MURL n00b

Oddometer:
    I am a total noob to this site and already created a new section for this question but this should be the best spot to get an answer. Can someone tell me and take a picture of how the ignition coil is grounded for XT550? I have the orange wire going to the coil and there is a second wire that is broken and not attached but really close to the coil. Do I use this to ground the coil? Where does it attach on the coil? Can you post a pic of yours if possible?
  9. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:

the coil is grounded with the bolts to the frame. the 2 wires, black and orange goes to the harness.check the manual ,at the end there is the wiring diagram
  10. ENDRUO MURL

ENDRUO MURL n00b

Oddometer:
    does the small black wire attach to the coil also? The orange is molded into the coil and so is the spark plug wire. Where does the other small black wire go?? The wiring diagram from the manual shows and orange from the CDI to the coil and then the spark plug. There is no black wire coming into the coil along with the orange. I am wondering what this rouge black wire is...
  11. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    117592617_893107714546636_7359874603805538390_n.jpg
  12. ernestoXT550

ernestoXT550 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    117636367_2782354122090185_4916646870312383953_n.jpg
  13. DJCW

DJCW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the XT 600 diagram the coil shows a black wire that is connected directly to the common black cable through the harness that goes to the negative terminal of the battery. On all the 550 diagrams there is only the orange wire shown. Could be you have a 600 coil. I would connect the black to the that common black cable.
  14. DJCW

DJCW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A pretty girl ON an XT. She has great taste in Motorcycles. Now if she likes Football and beer, she's definitely a keeper.
  15. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Football doesn't exist anymore, the "social justice scum" have taken over. Screw 'em, never watch again.
    jjxtrider likes this.
  16. ENDRUO MURL

ENDRUO MURL n00b

Oddometer:

My setup is the opposite...the black wire comes up to the coil and stops right there....almost like someone used some wiring from a 600 and coil from 550....the black is open at the coil and not connected.
  17. ENDRUO MURL

ENDRUO MURL n00b

Oddometer:

Also forgot to mention no battery in this bike....
  18. jank

jank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you were ever wondering, the XT550 is a great camping stove to prepare meals on.
    Here is mine '83 with 2KF XT600 engine while cooking dinner for me and my friend during our latest 4 day, 1000km dirt trip through Poland:

There are english subtitles

And here are some pics and clips from the trip:
    Westcoasthumpin likes this.
  19. DJCW

DJCW Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, good food, good beer and the best motorcycle in the world.
  20. Wyoman64

Wyoman64 Thumper XTraordinaire

Oddometer:
    SANY4438.JPG Well, guys, with a heavy heart, I sold my XT550 yesterday. It's funny how emotionally attached we can get to our bikes. With the help from forum members, especially 'jjxtrider' and 'westcoastthumpin', it was my first full restoration in 2016-2017. The XT550 was my dream bike when I was 18 back in 1982. After retirement, I decided to restore bikes as a hobby and found an XT with only 10K on the clock. I'm really proud of this bike and the work that went into it. It was hard to let it go, but, on the bright side, I got my asking price of $3,500. I'll stick around the forum and contribute. It's a great group that keeps these XT550s alive.

Thanks everyone!I
    Bri
    jjxtrider and Westcoasthumpin like this.