The XT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CR_TurboGuy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    Ya that's kind of my point , just running a little higher final gearing won't automatically mean the gears will go out x amount faster,if that was the case then across the board 5th's would only go out and then 4th. I won't say it isn't going to have a little effect on it, just not as much as other influences. Raptor 660's had a shitload of first gear failures. From what I've seen the oil condition(type,viscosity, mileage run,ect..). has more influence besides plain and simple poor material design and surface treatments plus which ones get used the most. In the Dr 3rd gear blowup thread there seems to be an awful lot a Motul brand oil use by those with issues, but simply no way to say 100%- This/that IS what's causing it. Even the Nova headsets are showing spelling now in 3rd.
  2. LilYoda

LilYoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Because I like stupid projects (pics can be clicked for full size)
    Home made brand new wiring loom

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Welding done by a friend, sanding & painting my fault
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Home made front end, with LSK electronics bulbs. HDPE and 2mm steel
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Kinda looks like a decepticon, but I like
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

She should look less edgy after I fit a wind screen. Remains to be done
    [​IMG]

Side bonus: I have gotten rid of almost every electrical issue I had
    OzCRU and Blackburn Buccaneer like this.
  3. Blackburn Buccaneer

Blackburn Buccaneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That looks fucking rad
  4. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work @LilYoda
    What lights/globes are they - can you give us more details of that?
    Also how are you making the screen?
  5. LilYoda

LilYoda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lights come from east europe company LSK electronics
    https://www.lskelectronics.com/lsk-xh1
    They are the manufacturer for the lights in the "Rade Garage" rallye raid kits for KTMs
    https://www.radegarage.com
    These lights are road legal in Europe. It's the only model I could find with low power consumption, high light output and that remains road legal.

For the screen, the one I showed above is purchased from AliExpress, and was designed for a Honda NC750. I don't have a clue yet how I'm going to make the mounts for the screen...
    OzCRU likes this.
  6. ggro

ggro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My clutch/gearbox recently started making the occasional clunk sound when I'm releasing the clutch in first gear (e.g. approach junction, brake and hold clutch in, release clutch and start accelerating, *clunk* into gear). It isn't accompanied with any jerkiness.

I changed the clutch and brake levers and had a new back wheel and tyre put on bike so could it be related to one of those two things?
  7. calwoodbutcher

calwoodbutcher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1990 XT600E %$#& YDIS carbs. Overflow issue driving me nuts. It continued to get worse until it would not stop. Figured it was the needle and seat. Replaced them and rebuilt both carbs while I was at it. Adjusted the float to factory manual. Put em back in (what a bitch) and turned petcock on. 30 seconds later overflowing. Somebody here has to have the answer. You guys are my last hope for sanity.
  8. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hi...is the needle and seat new yam oem? The O ring on the brass seat body was also replaced with new? If that O ring is omitted or bad then fuel will leak past the seat body. The float isnt getting jammed on anything in its movement? Float doesnt have a hole in it for some reason? There is a tiny spring inside the needle itself so there is a spring action on the opposite end of the needle. This isnt missing?

So when you are adjusting float level the first thing to check with carb upside down , distance from top of float to carb float bowl should be about 26mm. The float should look as though it is sitting fairly well parallel with carb body when this setting is correct. When carb is in bike you have placed clear tube on carb drain and opened the drain to check where the fuel level is getting to in the bowl as per the yammy manual procedure?
    jjxtrider and OzCRU like this.
  9. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good tips there @dzl - hope something there helps. I've got nothing to add, but rather learnt a few things for myself to keep an eye on when I rebuild my carbs so Thanks!
  10. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    I have heard that on other makes/models with an overflow tube inside the bowl that the tube itself would sometimes split and the bowl would leak out the overflow hose.
  11. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Hey Oz....Ive been playing with these carbs a while now and it has all been learned the hard way!
    OzCRU likes this.
  12. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    ....and just to add....if you stand the bike up straight, not on the side stand and tap the fuel bowl with screwdriver end etc, does that stop the overflow? If so that would indicate float is not freely moving.
    OzCRU likes this.
  13. calwoodbutcher

calwoodbutcher Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback DZL. Everything above is true except the clear tube business. Obstruction seems like the most likely culprit but what the hell could be obstructing the float? I guess I will have to pull these suckers again and give it another try. A little more testing before installing is in order for sure. Ideas are appreciated.
    OzCRU likes this.
  14. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Float can stick. I had one float that was a bit bent up & twisted from previous ham fisted owner. Maybe needle tang has fallen off the float tab? Yep test carb float level with clear tube test before you install carb into bike again using external fuel supply. Will save a lot of grief!
    zap2504 and OzCRU like this.
  15. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    Other side of the country(almost) for me plus on the high end $ for what they usually go for with the mileage and year(for the few that actually do come up for sale) . Doesn't seem in bad shape though, which is rare . Besides buying bikes and parts is out for me for now since I recently shelled out $20k for a used cnc machining center for my garage and then all the tooling , electrical(phase converter), ect.., ect...

17. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No worries, just thought I'd mention it as you'd often said how hard they were to get over there.
  18. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    OzCRU likes this.
  19. Dblarrow

Dblarrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, hoping for a little info. Had an Xt550 back in the mid 80's. Been riding a KLR. Recently found and XT600 with 1200 miles and no title. Says all is good, but I haven't seen it. What kind of range are these going for and how are parts availability? Any info is greatly appreciated. Asking price is $1200.
    OzCRU likes this.
  20. Pawlie

Pawlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Dblarrow,

The bike has 1200 miles so..... I'm assuming the thing is in immaculate garage queen condition.....This being the case I would think $1200 is an excellent price. I can't speak to the difficulties you may face with it being untitled...I'm from Canada & bikes are not titled here. By the sounds of some peoples reports, no title condition can be a real road block/non starter. Buyer beware.
    I would peg the price range at about 300-1500 from poor to excellent condition for the xt 600.
    OEM Parts availability is starting to thin for these machines. Lot's of stuff is becoming browned out on various online resources.
    You will be pleasantly surprised, the XT600 performs quite a bit better than the KLR in dirt/offroad conditions. I believe the XT600 is approx. 100 Lb lighter than a KLR!

Good Luck!
    Pawlie
    Dblarrow, jjxtrider and OzCRU like this.