The XT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CR_TurboGuy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    I'd have to say the same as Pawlie . Depending on Montana laws (which I know are very much unrestricted compared to mine) you may be able to title it with a bill of sale , just ty to check the VIN for it being stolen before buying it . Here in Wisconsin no title means you will never get a title for it again , the only way is to find the last owner that had the title and have him/her get a replacement title and then sign it over , so basically forget it . The only option is to buy a titled frame from someplace like Ebay as I've done twice and swap everything over. As to price , you never stated which year it was , the '80's (kick start only) version go for $800-$1500 around me and the '90-'95 (electric start) models go for $1800-$2800 depending on condition and miles . If it'd the "E" model I'd grab it if you can re-title with a bill-of-sale and theft check . Heck I have a titled frame here

Dblarrow and OzCRU like this.
  2. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Well, went out to the garage today and found that my chain protector that hangs down from the swingarm (2kf-22147-00-00) had turned completely to plastic dust. Started shopping for a new one and am finding that they are over $70! For a piece of white plastic! Not even any rollers or other higher-cost functions. Is this another Yamaha "gotcha" or is there something better?
  3. Dblarrow

Dblarrow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys really appreciate the info. Will have to at least take a look at it.
  4. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Looked in my service manual and cannot find out what function this piece performs. Maybe keeping the chain off something at either full compression or extension? If so, I'm thinking of cutting up a plastic cutting board and mounting some tiny idler wheels on it to do the same function.
    Anyone care to take theirs off, photo and measure the dimensions for me?

Edit: this is for a 1994 XT600E (part #14 on the swingarm breakout)
  5. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    They kind of keep the chain from coming off the sprocket ,I guess the main idea, plus stop some flopping. These aren't exactly the best quality compared to other bikes I have, it is just uhmw . The slider on top the swingarm in front is also $70 but you can get the TT slider for $14, exact same but the xt's is made out of a teflon mix and the tt's is pure uhmw. The xt's is quieter while going down the road but after a couple hundred miles they are covered with chain lube(at least mine are) and then no noise differences.
  6. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    I can't tell anymore (obviously) but this piece looks like it has a hollow center section. Does the bottom run of the drive chain thread through this (item #14)?

Attached Files:

7. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    Yupppppp.

8. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi @zap2504
    Sorry jjxtrider - but I think part #14 is the swingarm slider / Chain Protector isn't it? - It goes over the outside left face of the swingarm but the chain doesn't run though it ... The chain slides arcoss the top face & returns sliding across the bottom face of the slider. The 'hollow bit' is where the swingarm goes not the chain.
    And part #11 is just a plastic fin like a shark fin sticking down - the chain doesn't slide through that either. If you have a look at parts for a TT600R model it does have a different thing there that the chain does slide through - You could/can make your own versions with HDPE sheet / chopping board, heat it bend it etc. I've made my own slider but can't find a photo of it.

Here's one of the Yamaha Parts search in Oz https://parts.bikebiz.com.au/yamaha/1990/XT600EA/REAR_ARM
    The Protector Chain #14 (2KF-22147-00) is over $120!! - I'm not paying that.
    At least the rear Chain Support #11 (38V-22199-00) is only about $20.
  9. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    ^ That's the one (#14). Least expensive I've found is like $78 USD. So it sits in between the chain runs and the chain sometimes contacts the top/bottom edges depending if the swingarm is moving enough, or is constantly making contact?
  10. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep Exactly - stops the chain running directly / hitting / dragging on your swing arm - made of high density poly ethelene (HDPE) if I've understood correctly as HDPE has low friction properties - lots of cutting boards are made of the same stuff - I bought some chopping boards from IKEA & cut them up, bent it with a heat gun & trimmed it to smooth some of the edges - seems to be doing the job for what I want - but I'm not that fussy either :lol3
    I'll see if I can grab a photo later & post it up.
    zap2504 likes this.
  11. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    I thought he was talking about the rear one ,plus I'm thinking of the kicker model which mine are hollow and the chain runs through IIRC . The E model has a bit different parts than what I'm thinking but the front is mostly the same as the older TT's which can be had for $19, price went up a few dollars since I bought several.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1985/tt600n/swing-arm

EDIT , I just went and verified fitment , they bolt right on but the slider will need a groove ground in where it slips over the swingarm top and bottom due to the weld bead on the '90's steel swingarm where-as the older bikes had flat surfaces from being made out of aluminum tubing . Not a whole lot of grinding/sanding is needed though .

OzCRU likes this.
  12. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    ^ Thanks for that! IDK why the huge price difference between the XT and TT, but for that price I think I'll order one instead of doing a DIY.
  13. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    The XT slider is made out of a special teflon mixture or something like that softer and quieter when the chain is rubbing it . Being for street quieting down the chain noise is more important where-as the TT version is simply UHMW which is harder and your really can hear the chain slapping that thing when you first put it on. However after a couple hundred miles dirt & grime plus chain lube gets it covered and the noise mostly goes away . I usually put a couple strips of Gorilla tape around the top section before installing so the chain actually rubs on that . The tape lasts a year or 2 depending on miles and where the bike is stored . By then the crud keeps it quiet.

zap2504 and OzCRU like this.
  14. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Interim report - I got the TT600 chain protector and am finding that the scalloped area that fits against the swingarm is about 10mm or so narrower than the '94 XT600E swingarm (not including the weld beads on the top/bottom of the swingarm in that area) but am assuming that the chain protector will flex enough that it will fit. It also appears that the TT600 swingarm tapers more sharply toward the swingarm bearings than the XT600E's so that portion of the chain protector might need even more "fitting". Schedule does not permit working on it right now but hope to get to it in a couple weeks.

One other thing - does the chain protector just slip onto the swingarm (from rear-to-front) while on the side stand or does the swingarm need to be compressed first (to clear the frame members near the swingarm bearing), or does the swingarm need to be removed?
    OzCRU likes this.
  15. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    It'll flex to fit, but it shouldn't need much if you sand it where it sits over the weld unless you sand the weld itself off ,the sliders I have fit nicely except for the weld bead , about an 1/8" smaller on the pivot end, but everything looks like it'll work . I powdercoated my swingarm unfortunately before sanding the weld bead down so have mod the slider more. It can be swapped out without removing anything , maybe letting the swingarm sag will give better access .

Here's some pics how it fits on mine right over the holes , just needs to be pushed on but without any modding for the weld bead it spreads out badly .

DSCN1700[1].JPG

DSCN1701[1].JPG DSCN1700[1].JPG

16. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm....
    thanks for those photos @jjxtrider - I might have to try my end for one of these & compare prices or ship direct from Partzilla.
    Because I'm looking at the different later models of XT & TT that I don't think you guys had over there it makes it hard to compare ..
    Any chance you or someone else could post a sketch with dimensions on it that I could compare to my rear swing arm to see if it might fit with a similar alteration?
  17. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    That was super helpful!!! After comparing my chain protector to your photos I see that mine has a slight bow so that both chain slider areas are a little more toward the center (i.e., not at right angles to the mounting area) and should flex out ok. As I measure it, my swing arm is 66mm width at that point (71mm including the weld beads) so I'm thinking it may be easier to just sand off 2.5mm off the inside of each chain slider area to accommodate the bead.
    When I get to it, I'm thinking that compressing the rear suspension may move the swingarm mounting area away from the frame enough to slide the chain protector on. It looks like letting the suspension extend will just make things worse as then the sidestand will be in the way. I'll know better when trying.
    jjxtrider and OzCRU like this.
  18. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    I believe the USA only got the 1990-95 XT600E models; the later ones (w/o the muffler acting as a frame member) we did not get nor the liquid-cooled models.
    FWIW, I did a part number lookup on the 1984 TT600 chain protector and see these models:
    Assemblies where 5X6-22147-01-00 is used
    Looked up the part for the '94 XT600E and it is only used in the 1990-95 XT600Es; but these searches were with a USA-based supplier so no idea if an Aus or EU parts house could match up a different (newer) model. Maybe someone with a newer XT600 can provide input regarding the chain protector.
  19. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Later models xt 600 had different type of protection . Should work with the older xt as the swing arm is identical IMHO .
  20. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Cool! Any part numbers/reasonable price sources?