The XT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CR_TurboGuy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. vladu7z

vladu7z n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone,

I need your advice on a decision. :)

I had 2 XT600Z Tenere 3AJ (1988 and 1989) and loved them both. I had to sell them because I moved and moving the bikes would have been very expensive. Now I am looking to buy another bike and am undecided:
    • use case: 300-400 km daily trips in Austria and 1000-3000km trips once per year in summer, two people (65kg+45kg) and some luggage.
    • some wishes: the sound of the 3AJ, cheap and easy to find parts, very reliable, easy to maintain, simple

XT600E:
    • basically same bike as 3AJ, but more parts are available.
    • Light, robust, easy to maintain, enough power
    • Harder to find in Austria (easier to find is the XT500E: same bike but smaller engine)
    • Newer models don't sound like my 3AJs
    • expensive
    XTZ660 Tenere:
    • better for longer trips with heavier stuff
    • power
    • more expensive to buy in good condition

(Honda NX500 Dominator (the NX650 is rare in Austria))
    • cheap to buy (1000-1500€) in very good condition
    • only 24hp
    • very nice design
    • quality parts and cheap to find
    • not so reliable?

Thank you very much :)
  2. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    I'd think the E would work but you'd need some suspension stiffening to run 2 people . Obviously not as great for trips as the more powerful 660 but with less weight and bulk to deal with daily . 24hp absolutely won't cut it for a 2 up tourer and have fun doing it . Some older pipes may(I'm assuming here) be fitted to get the sound but a frame brace is needed to make up for the bright idea of them using the stock exhaust as a structural item .
    OzCRU likes this.
  3. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can’t speak for the other bikes, but have the ‘90 E,
    Definitely put a firmer spring on the stock Shock, probably in the range of 100Nm for two up, the suspension on the E isn’t as good as the 88/89 models.
    I’ve got an eibach 96Nm spring currently on the stock shock on mine. Huge improvement over std spring.
    Wilber’s still offer an excellent adjustable rear shock, but it’s not cheap. I’ve just had converted an Ohlins shock off a TT Belgarda, but haven’t picked it up or fitted it yet. Will advise once I do but expecting it to be even better.
    I’m also running Belgarda front forks on my 90E.

I second also the frame brace, (I made my own.) if you change the exhaust which you should be able to find options.
  4. Squily

Squily Squily Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda IMO more reliable than Yammy. Did lot of touring on both and the XT has more low-down torque, but that's about it. The Honda motor is a better design used in XR range from 200-650cc. And no cam problems like the XT.

Edit: and no electric/stator issues like the XT
  5. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    Having rebuilt motors from all the main brands, I can assure that Honda's are not any more reliable or run longer than the other brands. All brands have certain issues , thing with Honda is they tend to greatly detune motors which is easier on them but then lack the power of the rest. There is a reason they do that. Honda xl/xr motors(similar design as the xt )are well known for cam and rocker failures and oil use under sustained highway use. They also have soft aluminum so stripped threads are normal compared to the othe 3 Japanese mfgs. Key to all is good maintenance and watching oil levels and keeping temps as low as possible. Both brands should've taken notice of Suzuki's use of plated cylinders in many of their motors, heck even Kawi did it in several.

MATTY, BygDaddee and OzCRU like this.
  6. trevis_01

trevis_01 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone and best regards from Poland!
    I own 1992 XT600 and need some spare parts for it (gasket plus oil filter). I was looking for a parts online and found online catalog with diagrams (https://yam-shop.de/Yamaha-Genuine-Ersatzteile). But they diagrams have both models XT600 and XT600E. Is there any difference in spareparts between 1992 XT600 and 1992 XT600E?
    Thank you!
  7. jjxtrider

jjxtrider questionable

Oddometer:
    They all take the same oil filters , '83-'0? (TT's as well) until it was turned into the 660's .

trevis_01 likes this.
  8. Mr.JAJA

Mr.JAJA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Squily: And this is why I build me a XT600/TT600. I just like the color.

Attached Files:

9. Mr.JAJA

Oddometer:
    OK here a Question to solve a Problem. I build a 84 TT600 with a 95 XT600E motor. Everything went well, till I try to get a new front sprocket. The Motor is a 3TB with a fine spline (22) on the countershaft. I can get a 15T but like to run a 14T. I check the JT, Sunstar, catalog, but no one makes the front sprocket. Any suggestion from a cross reference Part like the Yamaha MX models for the 1995 3TB Motor?

Attached Files:

10. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mr.JAJA likes this.
  12. Mr.JAJA

Oddometer:
    Why cant I find this here in the US on the internet? Searching for two days and some on from downunder has to give me the hint for the US. Stupid Internet.
    Yes that is exact what I need.
    Stay save from the Fire on the east coast. I have many friends on the east coast from Byronbay to Melbourne and Esperence.

Its on order. For some reason, I get a different Catalog if I search for the Bike. but your lead is spot on. Thanks OzCRU
  13. OzCRU

OzCRU Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're welcome!
    No idea why that wasn't coming up for you - But happy to help.
    Interested to see your bike as it gets more complete - It's looking good.

Fires are certainly bad this year in both NSW & QLD - I think it's going to be a very long summer, & we haven't even gone close to hitting the normal hot weather that we expect to get!
    Mr.JAJA likes this.