The XT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CR_TurboGuy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    There's a small switch in the clutch lever . It's usual to go bad . You can join the two wires together
  2. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i tested the clutch wire and comes back normal, like i cant just hit start when its in gear i have to hold clutch in and tap starter. thought this was what it was earlier in the week. stumped
    unlimited_explorer likes this.
  3. Brage

Brage Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Here is a better pic of the XT without the KTM in front:thumb
    Not bad for an over 30 year old bike. The MY1983 30 litres tank was a real masterpiece with baffles inside. Up to 600km range:clap, they don`t make it like that anymore:(. 20210802_124832[1619].jpg

Kindly regards Brage
    Baloffski, Bors, OzCRU and 3 others like this.
  4. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Neutral safety switch? Part #1 here: upload_2021-8-2_17-27-49.png
    amishman71 likes this.
  5. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ya thats what i was pondering in my first post, glad i live 2 mins away from a yamaha dealer 15 bux and finally fixed. for some reason ppl were confused when i talked about a neutral safety switch.
  6. Godoh

Godoh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Amishman, I don't know about the Tenere bikes with electric starters, mine (83) never had one.
    But most bikes with electric starters have a switch on the clutch that prevents the bike starting unless the clutch is pulled in, and also some are also linked to the neutral lamp as well. The thing you say that looks like a spark plug by the front sprocket could be two things. It could be the Oil pressure switch or a neutral switch.
    What model do you have?
    amishman71 likes this.
  7. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:

ya it was the neutral safety switch, ended up just going with my gut. was just a pain testing it all and no 1 seems to kno what a neutral safety switch is lol. mine is a 93 xt600e
  8. Godoh

Godoh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well done amishman, glad you got it sorted.
    Brage that is a nice looking Tenere. Pity I had to sell my 83 tenere, I had balance issues for a few years and so sold the bike. I loved the range with the 30 litre tank.
    Balance fixed now, have a F650 bmw (96) that I have customised a fair bit. It is a nice bike now.
    Pete
  9. unlimited_explorer

unlimited_explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was also on my radar when I was buying a bike 15 years ago .
  10. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    I like how it's easy to ride . 51280718717_f0eb0a2acf_o-01_1.jpg
    Bors and Brage like this.
  11. Godoh

Godoh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep I loved mine too. I think it was a fair bit lighter than the F650 I have now. It also had a lot less weight on the front wheel.
    That caused me grief one day though, riding up a very steep track that had steps in it, 35 degree C heat, and the front wheel would not stay on the ground. Fell off 8 times that morning, wheelstanding up steep hills while leaning over the headlight was not fun.
    Looking back , I should have taken my soft saddle bags off and hung them over the tank.
    Oh well, sometimes adventures are not all smooth. No damage to the bike, just one tired old fellow by mid day.
    We got up the hill in the end.
    Pete
  12. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    I think the water cooling might be edge . My XT sometimes seems it needs a bit of pause it also has lower fuel consumption, right?
  13. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    can i ask what pipe u have? and does any one kno the size socket id need for the primary gear nut?
  14. Brage

Brage Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hi.
    The end pipe is a Laser Produro stainless exhaust. From the tip of my tounge I think the fwd gear nut is 32mm, but I might get this mixed up with some other mechanic questions in a completely different matter:doh Might be 24mm ....

Kindly regards Brage
  15. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Hello.

How you renew the standard black XT exhaust?
    (It's getting a but rusty at some places but it's just on the surface)

I'm thinking about sand blasting and then a paint used for metal chimneys? Or is there a better paint to use ?

Yes I was thinking about a stainless system but I like to be quiet since off-roading is illegal where I live and being quiet helps.
  16. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    If you have access to spray paint used for auto exhaust manifolds, I'd use that instead of chimney/stove paint - higher temperature rating.
  17. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OzCRU likes this.
  18. dzl

dzl adventurer wannabe

Oddometer:
    Ive never had to replace metal roller or cover, only the plastic roller. Unless you see they are worn, no need. Metal roller is generally a loose fit over metal seal. Might as well pull whole rear arm out and check, clean, regrease bearings while youre at it.
    amishman71 and OzCRU like this.
  19. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ty, now 1 other issue i just noticed ive been having my brake light only works when it wants too. bulb looks good, some days my front brake and rear brake will work perfect. others only get the light when i hit front and vice versa. were should i start i dont see any dmg to the lines?
  20. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Also check the switches if they click right