The XT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CR_TurboGuy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ok so once the shock is detached and i pull that bolt it should just wobbile side to side? or do i have to actually back it all the way out
  2. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    you'll have to pull it all the way out as it runs through the swingarm as well as the motor & the frame, so until you pull it out nothing will move.
  3. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mb i meant the swingarm not the bolt.. once i get the bolt all the way out do i have to fully back the swingarm out or or will it drop down? ive never removed a swingarm so mb for the questions.
    OzCRU likes this.
  4. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doing it the way I've suggested the swingarm will then swing down on the lower link (which is still attached to the frame underneath & the pivot buit into the swingarm). It should only take a moment to slip the new part over & then you can put it back together. Take your time & you'll be fine. dont forget to spread grease all along the swingarm bolt before you put it back in - It will likely be quite dry when you remove it so this will be a good opportunity to lube it all.
    Take some photos beforehand so you can refer to them as you go for reassembly.
    amishman71 likes this.
  5. unlimited_explorer

unlimited_explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Renewing the exhaust IMG_20210904_215301728.jpg
    OzCRU and amishman71 like this.
  6. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    looks good been wanting to paint mine was gonna do it when i did my plastics as well, bike was in a shed for years first ride in my michigan weather the pipe got rusty lol.
    unlimited_explorer likes this.
  7. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Before painting IMG_20210904_132123560_HDR.jpg
    Cleaning with gasoline
    amishman71 likes this.
  8. Angustini

Angustini n00b

Oddometer:
    Good afternoon,

Does anyone have a link to a page that may have the engine numbers corresponding to year and model?
    I have an engine here and are trying to track down some info on it?

Thank you.
  9. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    I would apply a anti rust thing and after that baking paint /stove paint in spray. I have done it twice in 20 years. Riding the bike whole year I'm trying to ride just off-road in the Winter - no salt in the woods
    amishman71 likes this.
  10. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so after u spray it u put it in the oven for a bit? i ride my bikes till snows on the road. we get -20 degrees were i am pretty frequent in the winter lol.
  11. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    I'll let it idle for a few mins and then ride it for a while it works
  12. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't this hose connected somewhere? It has a filter at the end .

I briefly looked at the manual and could not find it.

So it's just breather hose for the secondary carb ? Screenshot_20210905-113056-395.jpg
  13. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    I'm working on a Coleman propane 2-burner I got cheap. After cleaning I decided to spray the tops of the burners. Got some VHT flame-proof header spray paint (silver). Proper application is to either bake it (3-step process) or run the engine (another 3-step process). Will be baking my parts obviously. It's all on the can.
  14. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Looks mostly as new IMG_20210905_124136135_HDR.jpg
    OzCRU likes this.
  15. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    this just hangs under the seat for me just a vent with a lil half ass filter on it. does any one kno the part number to the top 2 oil cover screws the longer 2 1's? they both bolt into the case cover the guy before me stripped most of the threads then put a bigger bolt in that wasnt even long enough lol. cant seem to find the part number any were on the catalog.
  16. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Thx

https://www.xt600.de/xt_werkstatt/_technische-referenz/-explosionszeichnungen/index.htm

Here you can find part numbers
  17. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Angustini
    Try this link for your XT600 model codes:
    https://kedopartsaustralia.com/tt600-xt600-model-id/
  18. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Hello XT people.

It's bad for the engine to run without the stock exhaust baffle /spark arrestor?

It seems it has more grunt in low revs without it .
  19. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't run the original exhaust or spark arrestor.
    No, I don't believe that it's bad for the XT engine to run without the stock baffle or arrestor.
    In case this info helps you I'll detail what I do run.

I made a frame bar to bolt in place where the original exhaust supports the frame on the RHS. I have a '90 model.

I've used a GSXR 1000 titanium can from early 2000's marked '18-G1' same as the guys run on the Suzuki DR650's - there's heaps of info on this & other forums so I won't repeat again here. IF you can get a hold of the one marked '40-F0' - that's the absolute best as it's shorter but they are rare as hens teeth now - BOTH are significantly lighter than the standard XT (boat anchor) exhaust. I liked it's performance & sound - but I did have a cobbled together midpipe that I had made to make it work & I wanted to sort that out better. (I'll probably use it again when I build up my TT600R).

So ... I've since removed that can & replaced it with an old second hand Staintune unit that I picked up. Staintune is a fully stainless steel Australian made unit that used to be very popular on lots of different brands & models in Australia.
    They are LOUD - at least this one is VERY LOUD. I managed to secure a replacement baffle/restrictor that reduced the final diameter, but isn't a spark arrestor.
    This quietened it a little, but it's still pretty hard on the ears. I like it :lol3

I have found both of these exhausts improved engine performance & both units are lighter than stock so another saving. (even including the weight of the frame bar.)

From memory Yamaha changed the frame between the 90-96 model & the 96-04 model (need to check that) so you may not need to make a frame bar to fit a different exhaust.
    Anyway - hope that's useful somehow now or in the future.
    Cheers,
  20. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    I have a '94 and would be interested in any details about your frame bar. I know they used to be included in some aftermarket exhaust kits. Have thought several times about switching out my muffler for something lighter/less restrictive but would need a similar bar (also have seen others run an aftermarket exhaust w/o one and thought that looked suspect).
    OzCRU likes this.