The XT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CR_TurboGuy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. unlimited_explorer

unlimited_explorer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes the frame got the support after my95.

As for the exhaust I have read too open exhaust might cause XT run too lean and it makes it run too hot ?

Anyway I like to be quiet on trails since it's ..not very legal in most of the Europe yet a bit more oomph is nice especially on the second gear . Or I'll try non stock eg. Different from 15/45 secondary gears yet I would like to keep 100 kmh crusing speed so I might buy just s slightly larger secondary . IMG_20210904_132130908-01.jpg
    OzCRU likes this.
  2. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is the first version that I was refering to with the titanium can, you can also see the mess that was the 'midpipe' connection:
    [​IMG]

Here's the later version that goes around the outside of the front of the Staintune, which is a completely different shape.
    Note that I've used the same anchor point on the top as the first version, but on the second go I've moved the lower mount forward, which aligns it more with the other side. I had thoughts of cutting off the rear section of the frame, but for the timebeing I've left it on there & now use is as a pannier support mount.

[​IMG]
    unlimited_explorer likes this.
  3. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes - I'd have to agree. Both the Gixxer can & the Staintune both ran Lean until I swapped carbs, changed air filter & added the baffle on the Staintune (all in various combinations over the two exhaust versions). - I haven't ridden it much at all since the baffle install as COVID & Lockdowns came along & that was that. I still don't think I've got the jetting quite right.
    So yes - without changing the jetting & allowing for the difference in airflow, lean & increase in temp is likely.
  4. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    does any one kno if part 3TB-14453-00-00 and part 3TB-14454-00-00 are interchangable? cant find 14454 online for sale atm.
  5. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    No they are different.
    One is for the RHS, the other for the LHS, slightly different shape to each to account for the shock not being in the centre.
    But keep searching, from what I can see they are the same from 1990 - 2002.
    Try markets where the XT sold well, Australia, Europe etc bike wreckers or 'breakers' or eBay in the UK, Germany, here in Oz would likely have these if you're ok with second hand & they are fairly light so postage shouldn't be too much - just slow.
  6. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never had any issues with mine, and no difference in oiltemperature.
  7. crunkrockjoseph

crunkrockjoseph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Howdy folks. I'm heading to Colorado in a couple weeks on my 1990 XT. What do y'all recomend for a 50/50, or close, tire set? Hopefully Ill be riding lots of different terrain, camping somewhere near Morrison, gonna see Heilung at Redrocks! If anyone happens to know any cool roads out that way let me know. Thanks!
  8. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Front Shinko 805 , rear tkc 80 / Heidenau k60s/Mitas e09

That's what I use
    amishman71 likes this.
  9. amishman71

amishman71 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    would the ebay tank petcocks be ok to use? think mines going back and a rebuild is just as much as a new petcock.
  10. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    I would be vary of cheap Chinese ones . I had seen them leaking on honda like monkey Chinese mopeds.
  11. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    And one photo ... I might be crazy XT fan but imho they aged so well . Like Suzuki's DR's IMG_20210622_185314565-01.jpg
    OzCRU likes this.
  12. thrasherbill

thrasherbill Ootmic

Oddometer:
    IMG_1539.jpg 1990 XT600E charging question.
    Charging at 13.4-13.6V at idle but it drops to 12.99-13.0 when the revs come up.
    Any tips or procedures for finding this draw? Also my understanding is it should be charging at closer to 14V?
  13. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need a new regulator/rectifier. (or at least have the terminals on the existing one cleaned) I'd go for a new one for sure.

Get the ones from a 1996 model and up, it has cooling fins. Its a direct bolt on, same connector same everything. Theres heaps of non-EOM ones on ebay ect.
    unlimited_explorer, OzCRU and Johann like this.
  14. thrasherbill

thrasherbill Ootmic

Oddometer:

Thanks, I figured that was the direction I was headed! I'll try cleaning the connections while I get a new one on order.
    unlimited_explorer and OzCRU like this.
  15. thrasherbill

thrasherbill Ootmic

Oddometer:
    sunset.jpg
    unlimited_explorer and OzCRU like this.
  16. OzCRU

OzCRU Long timer

Oddometer:
    You could also look into the MOSFET ones - I haven't had any experience but recall reading about them ages ago & that they were a good thing / improvement. I think from memory there was someone on here that had done this with their XT & had the details - a search might turn it up.
  17. Johann

Johann Commuterus Tankslapperus

Oddometer:
    It might be worth budgeting for a new battery when you replace the R/R. You might be lucky if you caught it early but as R/R fails it normally accelerates the wear on the battery from lots of deep discharge cycles and partial charging. You could do a cheapo load test (does battery stay above 10v when cranking on a fully charged battery?) or keep a sharp eye on it and see if it is holding charge OK. I normally do the two together as a weak battery puts extra load on the charging system and risks the whole cycle repeating again.
  18. thrasherbill

thrasherbill Ootmic

Oddometer:
    Battery is brand new, I just bought it to check the charging system. Haven't had a chance to clean the connections yet, hopefully one evening this week. I'll report back.
    unlimited_explorer and Johann like this.
  19. unlimited_explorer

Oddometer:
    Just chiming in I have brought this On AliExpress as phone /gps charger and charging/battery toll in once . IMG_20210503_191114721.jpg
    Bolted directly to the battery.