The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks like the ABS module and associated plumbing lines for the unified braking. Too bad they don't use braided lines..

It's not looking good for Yamaha and it looks like this bike won't be coming here :cry

2. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Late bikes standard-looking lines are in fact braided. Mostly with other materials than steel, but braided and they do not have tendency to expand like older type. I had to cut one, I can tell you it is as tough as aftermarket steel braided.
    I am with R3B on that - I prefer simpler...

And not only about wires - to be honest centralization of braking with central brake pump makes me scared since I seen few cases on GSes when because of some failure in ABS system brake becomes on-off, no way to control it. On other hand every second crash I had was because of me overdosing braking and blocking wheel, so....may be have to accept it :)
  3. Ron_Luning

Ron_Luning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GB: what makes you think that the S10 is not coming here (i.e. North America)? Not that anyone ever said it was, but is there some new evidence to suggest that it definitely won't be sold here? I would hope that the sales of BMW's R1200GS/A here would be enough to suggest a profitable market to sell a bike that is already completely developed and presumably competitive.
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    All I know is what a Yamaha insider told me. Yamaha is losing a lot of money and aren't going to spend a large sum to get the bike certified and given that Honda's Varadero isn't selling in Canada (Honda Canada still has 08's in stock), and given the niche market for the S10, if they do decide to bring it here, it won't be next year..

but who really knows... if they can't sell those Starley cruisers, maybe they'll try to sell this bike..

Btw, Honda claims that to break even on the homologation costs of the Varadero for the CDN market, they need to keep importing it here for 8 years.

At any rate, be it honda or yamaha, it's an uphill battle to get riders off those useless cruisers and onto something more comfortable and more capable. :dunno
  5. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    that duc is gonna sell, cutting edge products tend to do better than the rest
  6. stubmw

stubmw some what aloof

Oddometer:
    I don't know seems like the japanese have always half-assed it when it comes to duel sports here in america. They have been kinda cheap and way-way on the either the dirt or street side. This super tenere and the regular tenere seem like a departure and more in line with the quality of what BMW offers. Was at the BMW dealer today and were talking about the f650GS single (Now G650 :huh ) and what a success it had been here.
    Don't know but maybe if the japanese would sell quality duellies they would
    sell. Based on what I've seen so far I would seriously consider buying the super tenere if it were sold here. Has been a long time since I've though that about a japanese dual sport.
  7. R3B

R3B Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Yup, stupid penny wise pound foolish, but if you look at the left you'll see the wiring loom in the netted tube, it seems quite fat for a Canbus loom, so my hunch is telling me it's nice old fashioned cabling to every single "user", which makes tooling around, providing a electrical 7-plug for my motorcycle-trailer easy peasy.
  8. RogerJ

RogerJ Waypoint Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Motociclismo.....Mexico's premier bike magazine in Issue No. 81, pg. 12 describes the recent IWATA (YAMAHA) Convention of all dealers in Mexico where they announced all the models that would be available in 2010. Translating from the Spanish it reads: We can't reveal all the details, but we can say that there will be a new competitor in the small cylinder range and another new motorcycle: The Super Tenere 1200 will arrive in our country towards the month of July 2010. With this news we'll bet the maxi trail segment will heat up. Pages 16 and 17 contain an overview article of the basic aspects of the XT1200Z Super Tenere. So......if Mexico has decided to go with this bike......why not others? I for one, will be seriously considering switching from my R12GS ADV to the S10 as soon as moto journalists riding reviews are out and we get some owner/rider feedback. My last 8 bikes were BMW's......not my next one.:clap
  9. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a CIA plot to reverse the flood of illegal immigrants, I tell ya!! :rofl

Cheers
  10. CB200

CB200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys

I got to see the new S10 today at the AMID motorbike show in Pretoria, SA.
    They had a blue one and a silver one, and these bikes look awesome irl!

I sat on the silver one and it felt really comfortable. The seat feels quite a bit lower than a GSA seat.

I've been following this thread since around page 50 & just thought I'd share a few pics. As you can see in the last pic, the silver bike has already been dropped.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:
    I like the tires on the silver one. Are more dirt worthy shoes a factory option, like on the GSA?
  12. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    Yeah, amazing how just a pair of rubber can make a bike look more rugged!
    Think Yamaha would do real well if they'd make the street tires a factory option...
  13. hookeniggy

hookeniggy Good at getting lost

Oddometer:
    And thanks for the pics broeder, now we'd like to see you riding it through Windhoek
  14. mrpete64

mrpete64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you happen to find out what the bike is selling for in SA?
  15. CB200

CB200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome!

Apparently the First Edition (including panniers, topbox, headlight cover, and sump guard) will sell for R138000, which is US$18730. A new GSA with hard luggage is considerably more expensive here in SA.
  16. ~TABASCO~

~TABASCO~ www.rideonadv.com

Oddometer:
    knobby tires..............BOooiiiinnnnnnGgggGG:D Cross my fingers for the USA...
    To me... seams really unbelievable so many countries are going to get this motorcycle, and as of now US will not? Think it would be a hit.
  17. Ri-Ra

Ri-Ra Burgeoning

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics, you have wounded my heart...
  18. CB200

CB200 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Found this interesting post regarding actual bike weights on my local adventure riding forum (wilddogs) by forum user Half - Bac:

dirtdoug likes this.
  19. pinglow

pinglow Adventurer wannabe!

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the latest pics and information.
    [​IMG]
    Is that Tenere 660 beside, a different brighter red than the original or the way the pic came out?
  20. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:
    What a fantstic post. I'm surprised the GS and KTM are so close in weight.