The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paper likes this.
  2. theregulator

theregulator Shut Up and Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glenora Inn & Distillery

glenoradistillery.com

We were there in July. Beautiful place.
    Achtung likes this.
  3. Paper

Paper I can see Iowa from my yard!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great stop!

And my headlights are now non-blinding. Thanks everyone!! And I'm looking forward to reading the report, Bob!!

The light adjustment was painful, but done. Paws are too big for messing around under there. Worse that I went the wrong way, first.. :lol3
    Jdhuff likes this.
  4. RockyDS

RockyDS Lost in the wilderness

Oddometer:
    Just recently got back to Alberta from Cape Breton and PEI. 14,988 kms 2-up coast to coast. We rode west to Prince Rupert, BC then east to Cape Breton Is, NS. and back home.

DSCN5697.JPG

DSCN6030.JPG

DSCN6064.JPG

DSCN6135.JPG

DSCN6136.JPG

DSCN6145.JPG

DSCN6154.JPG
    rauchman, Jdhuff, davyjones and 12 others like this.
  5. Paper

Oddometer:
    Stickers!!! I likes stickers!!

Ok, one more request for assistance.. I’m looking for a switched power lead to run heated grips. (Mine is an Non-ES model) is there a power plug for the ES bikes that’s not used on mine? Tomorrow morning I’m pulling the right side cover off to start probing with a test light. Ran out of time today and I have to get a couple hours of sleep in before going to work at 7pm. Just thought I’d check here to give me a head start in the morning.

And no, I don’t want to use the accessory plug wiring. If I remember correctly it’s not a very high amperage circuit and I’m already using it for my GPS. :deal
  6. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just go with factory plug-n- play. See post #108 here: https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?threads/heated-grips.12680/page-6
    Jdhuff likes this.
  7. Paper

Oddometer:
    I would but I've already got a set of Koso North America AM111010 Apollo Heated Grips sitting in the house, ready to be installed. All I'm looking for is a switched power lead. I just want to make sure my grips are off when the bike is off. These grips have an automatic sensor to shut them down if the battery is getting low (left on with the bike off) but I'd rather not test that feature.

So, I'll pull the side cover off tomorrow and I found one photo that shows fuse #10 being an Aux fuse. I'll try to tap into that. The heated grips are protected by a 4 amp fuse, so the draw can't be too bad.

I just remembered I don't have a Powerlet plug on this bike for my heated vest. Hoping I won't need it, but I learned a lesson while riding the Minnesota 1000 years ago. If you don't have it, you'll need it. :bluduh My only case of hypothermia, and the last weekend in June..
  8. russell44

russell44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just be aware the Ferry that was Yarmouth to Portland is no longer. The current route is Yarmouth to Bar Harbor and as of yet has not even made one trip this year. Very unlikely it will even run this year so check as you get closer to your trip date. Most likely you will need to drive both ways. I would hate to see you drive the length of Nova Scotia for no reason.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  9. Paper

Oddometer:
    Well, we have reservations on something. :lol3 The wife in the other couple is a "planner" and she set something up and it's supposed to be verified. I'll be talking to them this weekend to get the lowdown.. All the hotels and B&B's are reserved, as well as a whale watching excursion, and the ferries.
    She's likes doing the planning stuff, and has set up complete GS Giants rallies and whatnot without a hitch, so I'm trusting her..

Thank you for the info!!!!!! I'd be emailing her right now if it weren't for the fact I've known her for years and know what sort of a planner she is.. She's currently setting up our trip to Spain and Portugal for next spring. :fpalm
  10. russell44

russell44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Read below.
    I live in Nova Scotia, trust me, it has not run yet this year. They took reservations earlier this year. No longer taking reservations.

This is a real S*** show.
    Plan on driving both ways. I will bet money this won't run this year.

https://www.ferries.ca/thecat/
    Paper likes this.
  11. Paper

Oddometer:
    Got it.. Passing it along, now.
    Thank you!!

Just checked, and she knew about it, and now we're confirmed on the Digby to St. John ferry..

I don't know why I was even concerned.. :lol3
  12. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Roosevelt's home on Campobello is worth a visit and if you get to or from there via Lubec you can continue on a series of small ferries.
    Bill 310 and Paper like this.
  13. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eastern Beaver PC8 Tenere kit. It uses the factory grip plug to activate that relay then you can build circuits from it. I'm using it to power heated grips, gps, aux lights, and heated pillion seats.

DonBenito and Paper like this.
  14. Paper

Oddometer:
    And his stuff is excellent, but I'm working on it today and leaving next week.
    I figured there would be something unused under there I can hook into.

I should have done this months ago.

How's the old say go?

Piss poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

I've planned better. :lol3
  15. Paper

Oddometer:
    I have heated grips, and they work.
    Eastern Beaver kit ordered to install when I get back. Currently wired directly, so to eliminate any chance of accidental battery drainage, the fuse ( easily accessible) is in with my other spare fuses in the saddlebag. Can't turn it on if it's not getting power. :beer

If needed, it's as simple as slipping the small fuse into the slot and hitting the button to the desired temperature.

Now to start packing. :happay
  16. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should have known time was a factor limiting the easy solution. If I were home, I'd offer the one off my bike as you are somewhere around southern WI, right? I already asked the lady to host a tent space guest without me being there. I'm not sure she would be ok with me inviting someone over to disassemble my bike.

Paper likes this.
  17. Paper

Oddometer:
    Greatly appreciated, but I'm good to go. Now to start going through my wife's 800GS. :thumb
  18. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/2014...fully-loaded-13-500miles-gen2-19-000.1402290/

LOL asking $19K and no heated grips? LOL
  19. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
  20. Vrode

Vrode Not going there Supporter

Oddometer: