The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Paper

Paper I can see Iowa from my yard!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't notice any change to fuel economy after my re-flash on my gen 2, and a buddy actually went up a bit after his on his gen 1.

I'll be putting about 3500 miles on mine in the next couple weeks and I've recorded where it currently is and will compare when I get home.
    davyjones and DirtyRoadie like this.
  2. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think the Gen II bikes have much smoother throttle response than the Gen I bikes. I really couldn't complain about the stock throttle response on mine, but I found a shop 10 miles from my house that does ECU flashes with a 1 day turnaround time and couldn't resist. As posted above, not earth moving improvements but still worth the cost. I'm cheap, if I didn't feel it was worth the cost I would be vocal about it.
    davyjones likes this.
  3. Georgios

Georgios Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it possible to return to the previous adjustment?
  4. HeliMark

HeliMark Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a re-flash with a stock map.
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  5. DirtyRoadie

Oddometer:
    I got some seat time today. Did a nice loop of about 150 miles. Besides what I posted earlier regarding the reflash I also noticed that when cruising along at 60-65 MPH and rolling on the throttle it pulls much stronger than it did with the stock map. That equates to just under 3500 RPM, where if you look at a stocker's dyno chart there is a bit of a dip in H.P. and torque. It feels like the reflash filled that dip. I'd like to dyno it now, but as I mentioned I'm cheap.
    Paper likes this.
  6. Paper

Oddometer:
    I'd dyno mine but I don't know of you can still find the tape. :D

Yes, I just made myself look old.
    Jdhuff and DirtyRoadie like this.
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Congrats on the improvement. Not all flashes are the same, but it sounds like you got a good one.

If you want to wake up the top end, you'll need to shed the cat either by removing it from the stock headers or switching to Arrow. The resulting improved air flow makes a big difference.
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  8. Killacurb

Killacurb Dad

Oddometer:
    Goddamnit, stop trying to make spend more moneys $$$!
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  9. twinrider

Oddometer:
    :augie

3B6A4B66-023E-4AD5-92A4-704097454774.jpeg
  10. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So that's what these things look like when they are clean?
    I'd totally forgotten.
  11. DirtyRoadie

Oddometer:
    This tape? That's DyMo. I'm old too. Dymo.jpg
    Paper likes this.
  12. Paper

Oddometer:
    Excellent!!!!!!!
    I couldn't remember Dymo or Dymo, but I remember the sound they make and the tape strips, including the section that made it easier to tear the backside off.

S10 didn't like 88mph average with a head wind. I saw a lot of 38mpg on the indicators. Average went down .2 today, but the ride was amazing and we just had a great meal in Grand Haven, Michigan
    Wine in the room will take a hit, soon.

:thumb
    Marco Moto and DirtyRoadie like this.
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:
    If you have time to post on the interwebs, you have time to wash your bike. :wink:
  14. dirtdoug

dirtdoug Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is great, love the old thread with actual scale weights. I ran my 2012 Super Tenere across the landfill scales and it read 600 on the nose....full tank of fuel( maybe a skosh more then 6.2 because I punched holes in the top of the tank filler tube to get a couple drops more in the tank), Givi crash bars, two 3"x3" flood lights, 18" delkavik carbon fiber slip on, pillion seat replaced with alluminium lugauge deck and I left my wolfman tankbag on with a few items in it which might acount for 5 lbs. Ohnya, GS adventure highway pegs.
    fpalbrecht likes this.
  15. dirtdoug

Oddometer:
    Oh ya, with the two holes punched into my tank tube I ran 269 miles last July while riding down the Alcan and put 6.02 gallons in the tank.....I wasn't conserving fuel at all until the 200 mile mark. Up until the 200 mile mark I was ru ming 70mph plus or minus but after realizing the next fuel stop was considerably further down the road I slowed up to 55-60
  16. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Are you using a skid plate too? Those can easily weigh 5-10lbs or more. Amazing, the difference in fuel mileage when going 60mph than 80mph.
    pretbek and Paper like this.
  17. Paper

Oddometer:
    That's for sure!!
    At 60mph I saw well over 50mpg today. And at 85 I saw a lot of 38mpg.
    pretbek and Beemermcr like this.
  18. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to applied aerodynamics where drag does not increase in a straight line due to compressibility of air being like a spring. The harder you compress it, the harder it becomes to compress further. I don't know what vehicle this is for and it doesn't really matter, because the point is that doing 85 mph requires about two and a half times the energy it takes to do 60 mph.
    [​IMG]
    This chart for a 2001 Prius is roughly comparable to what you cited seeing at about 50 mph and faster, but the aerodynamics of the car and bike will dictate the exact slope of the curves for each.

[​IMG]
    If you were out on a perfectly flat road with no wind and used the cruise control then recorded the instant mpg in increments stepping up by a couple of mph for each data point, you would have a similar plot with the specific numbers for a Super Tenere.
    BergDonk and dirtdoug like this.
  19. dirtdoug

Oddometer:
    Oh ya...forgot about the skid plate...cant r3m3mber what kind it is, it's fairly lite duty aluminium but probably around 5lbs.
  20. wasuiniu

wasuiniu me and my brothers and Son Supporter

Oddometer:
    Little brother the data from the scales is 9 years old. weights quoted from manufactures are accurate. you just have to look at what is included in the weight or not included. so 1 us gallon is 5.976 lb your bike is suppose to weigh 575 wet in STANDARD TRIM. so add your bags and stuff and looks like scales match manufacture rating. what would be interesting fact is weight and how it is distributed. example would be single ballance point and where that would be from bike to bike and how that also would affect handling. you know the difference we talked about when i rode my indian compared to the harley. they both are similar in weight but the handling was quite different. i never seen any info on that anywhere and i imagine manufactures use this data when designing bikes.
    dirtdoug likes this.