The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ricerooster

ricerooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had my seat upholstered for my short ass. I can stand on the balls of my foot compared to tippy toeing. Also changed out my levers. 20190903_095857.jpg 20190903_095907.jpg 20190903_095919.jpg
    davyjones, MFP, okiegtrider and 3 others like this.
  2. dirtdoug

dirtdoug Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    this was just a bit of info on real world weight of a 2012 super tenere lightly farkeld out, wasn't related to the manufacturers listed wet weights of there adv bikes ...but what are do you mean 1 us gallon....5.9**.....what are you talking about...I know it's not gas.
  3. dirtdoug

Oddometer:
    I was simply giving a real world representation of a Yamaha super tenere no bags with exception of a tank bag crash bars skid plate full tank of gas and a sheepskin seat cover... Weight on a landfill scale which is probably plus or minus 10 lb off maybe..I don't know what those scales get calibrated to. Somewhere on a ADVRIDER a guy put a GS 1200 adventure a GS 1200 standard a KTM have some sort I can't remember which and he gave real scale readings which were on average higher than what manufacturers state.. and some of those bikes had aftermarket slip on pipes with no catalytic converters.
  4. dirtdoug

Oddometer:
    The following is from another member I don't know how to copy his post to this thread so I just copied and pasted his words they're not mine.

After the previous thread (53 pages) on the Super Tenere on this illustrious forum, and subsequent comments on this thread about bike weights in general, I have something to add.

First let me give you some of my credentials. I am the proud owner of a 2006 KTM 990 Adventure, had it since new and have done 31000km's on it, mostly off road. Loved every kilometre and love my bike. I am an avid adventure and dirt biker. I also have a contract with Yamaha Distributors South Africa to handle all their motorcycle public relations. It is a consequence of this relationship that I have had access to the silver Super Tenere (photo posted on the "Photo's from AMID" thread) for the last three weeks. (It was I that took it down to Jan Staal etc.)

With all this opinion on bike weights being bandied about, I thought that I would take the opportunity to get the relevant bikes weighed in an as objective a manner as reasonably possible.
    To this end I arranged last week to get a privately owned BMW GS1200 Adventure, a privately owned BMW GS1200, my personal KTM 990 Adventure, and the Super Tenere to a bike scale that was made available by Gary Franks of Enduro World.

Let me first explain the criteria that was adopted to keep the weigh-in as objective as possible, plus the various considerations for variation for each bike.

All bikes were weighed "wet" - with a ful tank of fuel. Bikes were fueled full from the same pump and the same time, and all travelled 1,2km post refuel to the scale.
    All panniers, top boxes etc were removed for the weigh-in.
    The scale was claimed to be calebrated, however I did not witness the calebration. But even if it was not 100% accurate, the same level of inaccuracy would at least be applied to all the bikes.

The GSA has a 33 litre tank, 10 litres more than the next closest bike, giving it a 8(?) kilo disadvantage just in fuel weight. It had an Akropovic pipe on, giving it a benefit in weight with the std Cat removed. It also had all the crash protection and pannier racks on (std on a GSA I think)

The GS has a 20 litre tank. It also had ABS fitted, but none of the other optional extras offered by BMW. Fitted with the Remus slip on, thus also benefitting from no Cat.

The KTM 990 Adventure has a 20 litre tank, is fitted with ABS, sterring damper and crash bars, and also has Leo Vince slip ons fitted, once again giving benefit from the the double Cat's being removed.

The Super Tenere has a 23 litre tank, had an alluminium bash plate, head light protector and pannier racks fitted, but with standard zorst, including Cat.

Here are a findings per bike (photo evidence posted below)

BMW GS 1200 Adventure.

Claimed weight: 90% fueled, road ready: 259kg's
    Actual weight: Fully fueled: 273kg's

Yamaha Super Tenere

Claimed weight (wet): 261kg's
    Actual weight (Wet): 268kg's

BMW GS 1200

Claimed weight: 90% fueled, road ready: 229kg's
    Actual weight: Fully fueled: 242kg's

KTM 990 Adventure

Claimed weight (Dry): 209kg's
    Actual weight (Wet): 240kg's

As you can see, the results of this exercise proved very interesting. I think at the end of the day, once you have had to pick any of these bikes up for the third time in one tiring ride, they are all heavy.

I have posted this info only because, judging by the comments by Dawgs here, it appears to be a topic of interest. I have no agenda, just "objective as reasonably possible" facts to share. I hope it helps.
    Jdhuff, NED RECK, BergDonk and 3 others like this.
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    FWIW, Yamaha EU lists the XT1200ZE's curb weight at 265, not 261. Were you testing the standard Z model or the ZE?

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 3.30.11 PM.png
  6. dirtdoug

Oddometer:
    I didnt do the test, it was a dude, Sharing another dudes test of some other dudes bikes....the s10 was a 2010.....which when looked on the interweb it said the 2010 s10 weighs 575lbs wet...soooo yaaa.
  7. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen that article in forever. It's seriously old and when written people had a lot of criticisms.
  8. ram350

ram350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone have their rear shock leak oil, this is on an ES model. Puddle under my bike today, only 25000 k.
  9. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
  10. twinrider

Oddometer:
    The PO of my first S10 put similar looking levers on the bike. Those sharp edges would wear out my hands on long rides and eventually the bolt holes went oval. Cheap Chinese crap... The OEMs come with rounded edges for a reason.
    RonKZ650 likes this.
  11. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    I am just curious what brand they are.
    I recently treated myself to a pair of ASV levers that I look forward to installing sooner rather than later.
    madrider5150 likes this.
  12. ricerooster

ricerooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took the S10 on my first dirt ride on Polamar Divide road. Did a about 4 miles and turn my ass around, weather was getting crazy hot.... 20190906_161005.jpg 20190906_161018.jpg
    davyjones, LoFlow, Guy Car. and 2 others like this.
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Any opinion on the Road 5 Trail vs the Anakee Adventure? I'm pretty much only road riding, including 200 miles a week commuting. Looking for good grip and longevity. The Road 5s are $100 more than the AAs.
  14. twinrider

Oddometer:
  15. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
  16. Herman1

Herman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will not be disappointed with the PR5 and compared to a dual sport …..well there is no comparison.
  17. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Road5's on my old CBR1000, awesome tires and you can really push them hard in the wet, oh, the CBR gets on to the gravel roads too and they seem to work good there too.
    My Super Tenere came with a set of those fancy bright colored multi adjustable levers with all of their sharp edges, soon as I got home the OE ones went back on , nice.
  18. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Ordered a set yesterday, looking forward to trying them out.
    Herman1 likes this.
  19. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever attempted to paint their skid plate? Mine has a SWMotech that I may paint black to go with the rest of the bike.

I’ve looked at doing the sanding, self etching primer and then using bedliner spray on. I know it may not be very durable but should be able to touch it up pretty easily. Thoughts?
  20. Vrode

Vrode Testing...1..2...

Oddometer:
    I have a used oem plate. I sanded the bare aluminum and used some satin black. It wears a little tight behind the tire from road debris, but a little touch up sets it right. I find the black blends in better with the engine.
    Bedliner applied as you suggested should work fine.
    ArkieRider likes this.