1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I try to service the air filter once a year which is only about every 6 or 7 thousand miles and it is always filthy. Full of bugs, leaves and assorted mung. It's the mung I worry about. No way is light getting through. Lots of chip seal here and lots of dusty dirt roads and seasonal roads. No single track, I save that for my Specialized FSR.
  2. Magnum357

Magnum357 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Back in mid-August, I threw out a line for some help with a starter issue. Solenoid was working, but the starter motor was inconsistent. Responses were bad battery, bad battery connections or bad earth (which I assume means engine ground).

Since then, I've done the following:

• Checked the battery connections
    • Replaced the battery
    • Had the new battery tested (315 CCA at Batteries+)
    • Cleaned the solenoid connections and checked the connections at the solenoid
    • Tested the continuity to the starter motor - completed circuit between the neg battery post and the disconnected starter motor cable connector when I press the starter button
    • Disconnected the engine ground, cleaned it with ScotchBrite
    • Removed the starter motor and dressed the brushes
    None of these efforts made a bit of difference in how the starter motor's been acting for the past few months. Sometimes it (the starter motor) turns over on the first press of the starter button. Sometimes it's not until I've pressed it two or three times. And I have pressed it up to a dozen times before the starter spins.

Anybody got any other ideas?

Thanks,

-357-
  3. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Starter bad? :dunno
  4. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you hear the solenoid click when you press the button? I've seen contacts in the starter buttons go bad on a lot of Hondas but never on a Tenner. Still be worth inspecting. CBRs were notorious for breaking the solder joint for the starter button inside the switch.
  5. Magnum357

Magnum357 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's a good healthy click every time I press the starter button. I'm starting to lean towards bad starter, as WVhillbilly suggested. Just wanted to hear from the forum before I dropped the dough on the new starter.
  6. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're getting voltage to the starter and it's not spinning then that's got to be the problem. I'm not sure how much those starters cost but you could prob have it rebuilt at a local auto electric rebuilder.
    BaldKnob likes this.
  7. devauxb

devauxb How do you do that?

Oddometer:
    Until you made that statement about the click from the solenoid, I was going to point to the starter button as a possible culprit, .... but it is sounding more and more like a bad starter.
    tbirdstud86 likes this.
  8. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    Before you buy a new starter I'd confirm it is getting power from the solenoid when you push the button.

9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Hopefully Yamaha will see Honda's challenge and raises the stakes.

davyjones, Animo and Marto71 like this.
  10. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a lot of great improvements. Still tubes is the only thing lacking now it seems. With cruise and bigger displacement it has definitely become a better tourer. Looks like they are making room for a middleweight. Will be interesting to see how Yamaha responds. AT certainly better off-road but S10 the better tourer and two up bike.
    davyjones likes this.
  11. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, what's got me excited about the new AT is the thought of how Yamaha will respond. I'm hoping they'll remove a few pounds from the S10 and add more power, an IMU, a TFT dash and LED driving lights.
    davyjones likes this.
  12. Vrode

Vrode Not going there Supporter

Oddometer:
    The ES model has tubeless rims I believe. And CC. It’s one I would consider but the ST does everything I need. But the AT sure is purty!
    davyjones and BaldKnob like this.
  13. ArkieRider

Oddometer:
    Well I’m picking up my 3rd S10 shortly. Got rid of the prior 2 due to circumstances at the time...but love the bike which is why I’m waiting on my ‘15 ES to be delivered.

I could have gotten an AT , but I have a DR and WR for when I want to get “really dirty”. Just can’t see doing big damage to these big $ bikes trying to ride them where they really shouldn’t be. I’m certain the AT can do some tougher stuff, but it will never do what I can do on my DR with much less risk to myself and the bike. So for me... the S10 is my Big bike of choice for my needs.
  14. twinrider

Oddometer:
    That's exactly it. I learned my lesson on my 2016 AT when I was out exploring by myself and got ended up dropping it. Was a bitch to pick up and i realized then that while it's an adventure bike, you'd better have a buddy with you if you're going off the beaten path. Or a lighter bike. So now my XT250 is my go-anywhere adventure bike and my S10 is my road bike.
    davyjones, Cuttin, Jdhuff and 2 others like this.
  15. ArkieRider

Oddometer:
    I got an xt250 for my son... fun bike for sure. If I rode off-road by myself, I’d rather be on that than my Fat pig DR or even my WR...as I’m rather short. Upgrade the suspension and it would be even more of a hoot. As you say...it’s a great go-anywhere bike.
    davyjones likes this.
  16. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I upgraded the suspension on my XT250 to Cogent on both ends and it rides beautifully offroad. It's a mountain goat too, it'll go anywhere I took my KTM 350. A WR250 would be better on the highway, but I like the SOHC motor on trails.
  17. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Need some quick help

What is this? I thought it was the filler cap for the final drive but it twisted off. Can it be JB Welded? Was planning on leaving for an extended trip in the morning.
    IMG_0440.JPG

View attachment 1908613
    davyjones likes this.
  18. Earache

Earache Hola!

Oddometer:
    Ten Rear.jpg

It's a vent cap. Fill hole is just below it in your pic.
  19. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the inner part after the outer cap twisted off.

IMG_0441.JPG

Sorry could get a second pic to upload to the previous post.
  20. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think it would be ok to jb weld the outer vent cap back on?
    Jdhuff likes this.