1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. keny72

keny72 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I joined the Super Tenere force whit a 2010 XT1200Z, coming off a 2011 Beemer (1200GS)
    56k kms, had only one owner before me (older man), very nice condition. Has some nice extras: OEM rear cases + SW-Motech aluminium top box, OEM engine guard as aluminium skid plate, OEM headlight protector, OEM wind visors (down on both side of screen), aftermarket screen upper spoiler as heated grips. Rear tire is a new Metzeler Tourance Next, front a half used (V-shaped) Conti Trail Attack 2. Some more dirt road worthy rubber might come under soon, I have a new rear Mitas E07+ that I didn´t mount on the Beemer, sure hope I could have keept the almost new Karoo 3 front the Beemer had..... Other pic as I had the bike loaded outside the shop (didn´t dear to ride home in the snow) other from the shops ad, one from top to see the to me new spoilers (that ore OEM accessories) and final standing in my current garage (the 250 WR Husky behind) whit the new Mitas next to the front wheel....

Attached Files:

allsop, eemsreno, MonkeyBut and 11 others like this.
  2. TorontoDude

TorontoDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so i really hate to do this, but searching these forums is frustrating.

heading off to do the Trans Lab this summer, need new shoes. I dont need 50/50, im not even sure i need 70/30, but something that can handle lots of tarmac with some packed dirt thrown in. skinko 705? Pirelli mt90? K60? Conti Battle? shit, i dont know anymore.

yes, i'll be fairly loaded down but solo. round trip is probably 7500 from Toronto.

decision paralysis is setting in!
    Madman4049 likes this.
  3. wvshoem

wvshoem Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You likely won't have any more clarity after asking that question here. Any of the tires you mentioned will do what you're asking of them. And so will a whole list of others. For what you're asking of a tire, Metzeler Tourances would do nicely. Had these on my R1200GS when I bought it and they handled tarmac, packed dirt, rain and most normal driving conditions just fine. I don't recall the mileage I got out of them, but it was fairly high. Went to Heidenau K60s after the Metzelers because I wanted a little more capability in loose stuff. I hated those tires. Terrible in the rain and cold and the front tire had a terrible vibration at lower speeds that I never got used to. They lasted FOREVER. My buddy uses them on his F800 and loves them. Ran the Shinko 804/805 on my GS and liked them very much. Great in loose terrain and worked well enough on the tarmac for long stretches. However, didn't last half as long as the Heidenaus. Currently running the Mitas E07's on my Tenere and so far, like them very much although I haven't put a lot of miles on them. Seem to do well on and off road without being too much of a compromise on either surface. Only ridden them once in the rain, and they appeared to have good manners on wet/pooled surfaces. They appear to be somewhere between the Shinko 805s and the Heidenaus for wear/life.

See what I mean - I'm just one person and I threw three different tire choices at you. Here' a quick summary of my opinion:

• Metzeler Tourances for the riding you mentioned
    • Mitas E07s if you want more riding surface options
  4. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree it's a never ending string of thousands of posts in no particular order.

Sounds like Conti Trail Attack 3's would be good for you. I had a set and they freakin downright rock man, before that I had Pirelli Scorp trail 2's and they developed a split w/in 3k miles. Even Revzilla dude on the phone said Pirelli mostly suck and they're really snobbish with warranty stuff. My experience with pirelli is not great you're mostly paying for the name on the side. Before that I had shitcos which felt like ass in the wet, hated them. The Conti's were like I said absolutely amazing, I did iron butt rides on em as well as alot of dirt road in national forest and light off-road.

I am going back to dirt roots and have TKC 80s on the bike now, wanted E-07 but they quit making them and I don't want the + or dakar's. If I do another iron butt or long trip of mostly road the trail attack 3's will be going back on. They are really really stiff more than the pirelli so if you mount your own set them in the sun a while. They're also not even remotely cheap but worth every penny they warm up super quick, scrub in super quick and gripped like a 22 year old college girl even in blinding downpour. They are smooth and round so gravel and loose dirt is of course not it's strong point.

Good luck with your trip man, I'm planning to do the TAT when I retire in just over a year.
  5. russell44

russell44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am hoping to do the same trip next year as well, leaving from Halifax. I am currently running the radial 705's and will most likely run these for the trip. I am considering swapping out the front for a 804 because I am not 100%happy with the feel of the front 705's. Probably not the tires fault and not sure if a 804 would be any better? On the dirt roads I ride here it just never feels planted but the S10 is a heavy pig and maybe nothing will make this better.

Overall I think the 705's would be a good choice especially considering most of the ride is asphalt or hard packed dirt as far as I can tell. I am happy with them on the road with no issues and so far they have been wearing very well. Inexpensive for sure and available in radial or bias ply construction.
    I only have 4000 km on mine so far but I expect at least 10 000km -12 000 from the set, maybe more?
  6. TorontoDude

TorontoDude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for the feedback so far.

anyone using the Anakee Adventure? Im leaning towards those right now
  7. GiddyThump

GiddyThump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed.
    Doing same is late Aug/Sept and will be ready for new sneakers.
  8. NightWatcher

NightWatcher n00b

Oddometer:
    '12 ST received_654159888659584.jpg 20190525_183214_HDR-1.jpg Screenshot_2019-06-17-13-28-03-1.jpg IMG_20190602_114148_258.jpg USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--343052034.jpeg_1555680070502.jpg
  9. Datsme

Datsme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have ran the 705’s for 55,000 kms so far and I love them. I started with the radial version and then cheaped out and have been running the bias since. I average around 16,000 on the rear and I haven’t actually worn out a front yet. I typically replace the front at 20,000 when it it gets to be too badly cupped to be comfortable. Fort nine is great place to order the shinkos, I think a set is about $200.00.
    heresjeff and Trip Hammer like this.
  10. heresjeff

heresjeff Weekend Worry-er

Oddometer:
    Super tenere

IMG_4497.jpg
    NightWatcher, Killacurb, Saso and 4 others like this.
  11. SSBB

SSBB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I am an 804/805 Shinko guy. That being said I do a lot of dirt, mud, water etc. I did use them to ride out to Colorado from TO and they were fine on the road, a little noisy but fine. I would replace them with the same tires but they may be a little overkill for your needs.
    Killacurb likes this.
  12. Ironhand

Ironhand Adventurer

Oddometer:
    16k on a rear, on a Tenere? You, sir, are my new hero. What's your secret?
    Trip Hammer likes this.
  13. Datsme

Datsme Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remember that’s 16,000 km not miles. My secret is colder Canadian roads and I put about 4000km on each side of the tire and 8000km in the middle. And believe it or not most of those kilometres are travelling very overloaded. I tend to head out for a two to three week camping trip every summer. My average trip mileage is over 10000 km or 6000 miles so finding a tire that will last the trip without concern was a big selling point for me.
  14. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I used Anakee 3s on my last S10 and routinely got 20,000 km out of the rear and 14,500 km out of the front.
  15. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    From what you described that you are looking for I can highly recommend a set of Michelin Anakee Adventures.
    I had a set installed last May on my '13 S10 and I have since put over 3K miles on the odo with predominately paved road riding
    with a decent amount of packed dirt roads and simple dirt trails thrown in as well. The one negative is that on the slab the tires do howl a bit with
    any slight lean and off course when riding in the twisties but the howling has definitely lessened as the miles add up.
    The AAs are also very good in the rain.
  16. Zuan

Zuan n00b

Oddometer:

In 2017, I did the Trans Lab with Mitas E07 Dakars. Last summer I did the James Bay and North Road with Motoz Tractionator GPS. Both will work for you. And Shinko 705's will work well enough for you.
    Tuna209 likes this.
  17. augie05

augie05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I don't own a S10 but it is on my short list in addition to a newer 2017+ V-Strom 650 among others.

A couple questions: (I am 6 foot tall with a 32 inch inseam)

1) How is the wind protection with stock screen and fairings?
    2) How comfortable is the S10 for a 150 pound passenger? (vs something like a V-Strom 650)
    3) What year / version includes cruise control?
    4) What year was the S10 most recently updated?
    5) I have heard the S10 described as "top heavy"... vs other bikes like the V-Strom. Thoughts?
    6) Any other S10 recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your insights.
  18. wvshoem

wvshoem Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

1) How is the wind protection with stock screen and fairings? It is good, but often taller riders add a taller windscreen. Lots of aftermarket options so you can get just what you want without breaking the bank.
    2) How comfortable is the S10 for a 150 pound passenger? (vs something like a V-Strom 650) It is a larger bike so is as or more comfortable than most bikes. I've taken my son for a couple of rides and asked him to compare it to my 2007 GS. He's 5'4" and thought it was as good as the GS.
    3) What year / version includes cruise control? I believe 2014 cruise control and heated grips become stock
    4) What year was the S10 most recently updated? 2014
    5) I have heard the S10 described as "top heavy"... vs other bikes like the V-Strom. Thoughts? It is a hefty bike for sure, but not top heavy. Because of the engine placement and how low it carries gas, it actually feels like a much lighter bike. Any heaviness disappears once you start rolling
    6) Any other S10 recommendations? Get the ES (electric suspension) especially if you are going to be riding it in a variety of configurations (1 up, no gear; 1 up with gear; two up; two up with gear). Although heavier than the V-Strom, the Tenere is much more off-road oriented/capable.
    HeliMark, twinrider and augie05 like this.
  19. augie05

augie05 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, wvshoem! Exaclty what I was looking for.

A 2014 or newer with ES is it.
  20. Sleepyc

Sleepyc ClevelandMoto Podcast, Tune in!

Oddometer:
    Tractionater GPS man. 7 - 10K miles tires, awesome on road and dirt. Can not recommend them enough!!!

1.jpg 2.jpg