The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. s.ga.rider

s.ga.rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ordered happy trails su racks and mosko moto 35l backcountry bags
    fastring and Madscrapper85 like this.
  2. GiddyThump

GiddyThump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering what everyone else gets as a variance between speedo and GPS?
    Mine is about 7km off (4-5 miles/hr)
    Speedo says 100km/hr and GPS says 93km/hr.
    Stomp347 likes this.
  3. elricfate

elricfate Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3mph to the negative for me
    GiddyThump likes this.
  4. Cantab

Cantab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Police in NZ use Honda STs with a separate calibrated digital speedo , i asked a cop how much out the Honda was , he said the usual , wouldnt say but i said 5-8kms to high ? he nodded.

Its not unusual for speedos to read higher than indicated, some manufactuer probably got 'sued' in the US because of a reason...speedos read higher than what it is, as to be sure you're under a posted speed limit .
  5. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    Mine is actually going about 64 when it says 70 according to GPS. My American made cars and the only Harley I ever owned were right on the money. My Yamaha Venture was also off about 6 mph at 70.
    DirtyRoadie and Cantab like this.
  6. Vrode

Vrode Not going there Supporter

Oddometer:
    My ‘16 is pretty close. 63 at an indicated 65
  7. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2017 is nearly spot on. Usually read the same, sometimes 1mph difference. On the older ones, the 2012-13 there was about a 5mph difference, and from I have read even the newer teneres reading in kph countries are off by quite a bit.
    Still nothing too dramatic even on the ones that are off vs a lot of motorcycles. I had a 2008 Yamaha WR250R, and it read about 15mph high at 65mph, motorcycle said 65, gps 50.
    eemsreno and Cantab like this.
  8. Skunk-Works

Skunk-Works Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2014 is also right on the money!
    Usually reads about 1mph off, or exactly the same.

My FJ1200 on the other hand...................................it's off by about 15%. The faster I go, the more it is off. At 100mph it is about 15mph off.
  9. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gen 1 2010-2013 were 8% off
    Gen 2 depends on tire but generally within 3% so within 2-3 mph at reasonable speeds.
  10. Jdhuff

Jdhuff RAT BRAIN

Oddometer:
    Every Japanes bike I've owned since 1970 had big time optimistic speedo error. I've got a 2002 ZRX12OO. The speedo get progressively worse. It shows pegged on 175 mph. When it is actually 155 mph.
    Midnightventure likes this.
  11. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Been here a little too long

Oddometer:
    Noticed some moisture / condensation inside the headlight today. No rain or anything but slightly humid and minor temperature variation. Washed about a week ago so not sure why the moisture. It was only on the left side. New bike, should any moisture be inside ?
    IMG_20200407_185633.jpg
  12. SparrowHawkxx

SparrowHawkxx Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never noticed any moisture on my 2013. Have you checked the headlight bulb cover to see that it is seated properly? You might want to remove the cover anyway to check for moisture then leave it open until it dries out inside the housing. Reference Owners Manual - Replacing a headlight bulb, page 7-32 and 7-33 in my manual.
    MFP likes this.
  13. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, that should not happen. Have you changed bulbs or all stock?

14. pizzaboy

Oddometer:
    I'll check and see if I notice something off with the light cover and its sealed correctly. Lights all stock not touched.
    Thanks for the responses
  15. GiddyThump

GiddyThump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Should not be hapnin. Very strange. Gonna go have a look at my 2018 with 200km on it
  16. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Perhaps when you washed your bike some water entered through the air vents in the headlight housing.
    As suggested by SparrowHawkxx I would check the rubber o-ring gaskets on the inside of the headlight housing caps as well as the actual caps themselves to make sure there is a proper seal.
    I get slight condensation beads in my '13's headlight housing on both sides in the center.
    It has happened since I bought my S10 used two years ago. I am pretty sure there is a
    compromise/crack in the housing's seal but I never bothered to take it apart to troubleshoot.
    When moisture beads do appear when I get home from riding I just remove both of the headlight housing caps for
    about 10 minutes and it clears right up with no residue. I first tried the hairdryer routine to dry out
    the inside of the housing with both bulbs removed but it still reappears especially during the warmer,
    humid months. I am running normal Halogen H7 bulbs.
    Jdhuff likes this.
  17. pizzaboy

Oddometer:
    Thank you all
  18. SuperTsteve

SuperTsteve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="Speedo says 100km/hr and GPS says 93km/hr.[/QUOTE]

That is almost exactly what my 2013 reads as well.
  19. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well last year one of my headlights expired, now a few days ago the other one needed replacement. When will these issues stop! Sheeeesh, it's only 6 years old. I thought these bikes were supposed to be reliable. On a serious note, I have about 25,000 miles on the bike and haven't changed the spark plugs yet. It still runs great and gets about 45.5 MPG in mixed riding. Any good reason to change them right a way?
    While I was looking on line on what replacement bulb to buy I found a video showing how to change the bulb. It was a 10 or 12 minute video and the guy took the whole headlight assembly out just to change a bulb. I thought that was kind of funny, when you can just unscrew the cap on the back , access the bulb without taking anything apart and literally swap out the bulb in about a minute.
    strommonster likes this.
  20. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do the plugs when you do the first valve check, which is coming up soon. Replacing the bulbs is simply removing the cap and unlatching the bulb. No need to do anything more. I like the Honda GL1800 oem bulbs. My 2008 GL1800 uses the same exact bulb and the Honda price is better.
    DirtyRoadie likes this.