1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. fpalbrecht

fpalbrecht Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably not this simple, but turn off traction control and see how it performs. If you haven't already done so.
    treybrad, swakop_toe and lukasteam like this.
  2. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    Part of the reason I have decided to not buy anything the previous owner has done any modifications to. Personally I think that is why so many have problems with Harleys because they almost all get modified.
    JeepDawg and RonKZ650 like this.
  3. elricfate

elricfate '15 S10 ES

Oddometer:
    On the flipside of that though, the previous owner of my bike made a lot of modifications that were not performance based. Adding lighting controllers and aux LEDs and whatnot, but they did replace the air filter with a K&N (recently discovered when doing my plugs) - so I guess that's a "mod", per se. Personally as long as the bike runs when it's cold AND when it's hot, without sputtering or spitting, and it has a smooth power curve all the way through, I don't care what you did to it. But I see your point on wanting a bike mostly stock so you can either leave it that way or do the things you want to do to it. It's why a lot of folks keep the stock parts around to swap back in when they sell. If it's not something I can get rid of locally, I just chuck whatever parts I take off.
  4. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    When I bought my Tenere it was loaded with luggage, cruse control, lights and other stuff and I was and am tickled. But the engine had nothing done to it. I had a DR650 previously that had all the forum recommended things done to it including opening up the airbox. It never failed to start and never failed me but it was always surging just a little. I took what I could back to stock and the gas mileage improved significantly but it just never was perfect. Now my stock 1200cc Tenere gets much better gas mileage and since the recall was done on it runs perfect.
    Jdhuff and elricfate like this.
  5. HAYVIATOR

HAYVIATOR Don't be me dude.

Oddometer:
    you don't happen to know which speed bleeders you bought to plug the 4 holes?
  6. pnw-rider

pnw-rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_3792.jpg
  7. Jdhuff

Jdhuff RAT BRAIN

Oddometer:
    I've put speed bleeders on every bike I've had since about 85. They make it so easy.
  8. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m sorry if I’m not following.
    I thought that there was no issues with the 2014 S-10 and up?
    I have a 2015 with over 87,000 miles on it. I’ve noticed a little rattling of some sort when I’m in neutral?
    When I pull the clutch lever in it seems to disappear?
    So I’ve been trying to pay attention to some of these posts.
    Thank you in advance.
  9. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My '12 rattles always until about 2000-2500 RPM. Sat down with mechanic friend and stethoscope one day a few years ago and isolated it to the clutch. There is a "star "shaped sprocket thingy in there". He felt that was the culprit like he had seen on others bikes over the years. I wonder if you got the same rattle as me? Mine does not changes pulling in the clutch.

I'm probably going to get second opinion when i get my second valve check at 60k.

But its been the same for 30000 Miles.

You can see how spot on (not) my science is on this subject.
    Milechaser likes this.
  10. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been an awesome bike and the last thing I want to say is that I’ve never had to do anything and then kaboom
    I like anything that after it’s been used for some time that the tones or other noises can be a little more pronounced.
  11. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Most, if not all, wet clutch applications will have some added noise when disengaged. Not to worry... they will do that.
    Jdhuff, Milechaser and DirtyRoadie like this.
  12. NightWatcher

NightWatcher n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all S10 owners.

Do you upgrade ecu ;

It is wirth it what difference do you see in reality and dyno.
    2. Exhaust ?
    I have a stock S10 1st Gen for 65K and its a man machine. i can say !
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  13. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely on the tune. You can get rid of the restrictions in the first three gears, and smooth it out some. And with the right tune, a little more power. Exhaust, really depends on what you want. It will help on the power, but are you looking for that? You will feel it, but it is a heavy girl, and most do not do the exhaust.
    NightWatcher and DirtyRoadie like this.
  14. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes on the ECU flash for the reasons quoted above. My son had a Gen I and had great result with ECU flash, Arrow header and Two Brothers exhaust. If you plan on keeping it a while it would probably be worth the money. I'm on a GenII and am really pleased with just the ECU flash.
  15. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where are the recommended places to get ECU flash in the United States?
  16. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    A lot of guys here on the forum use someone named Anthony. I have a shop 10 miles away that did mine with a super quick turn around time. Shop I used was Right Side Up Kreations in Webster NY.
    StanBo and Milechaser like this.
  17. NightWatcher

NightWatcher n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I read again about the restrictions of first 3 gears and tune the ecu is the answer.
    The problem is where i can do that and do the right flash in Greece if someone know of course.
    For sure i dont need more power but if only with reflash i can get better result , why not .
  18. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. About 7-hrs from me.
  19. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my daughter lives in Bradford VT. It takes us about 7 hours to get there if we go the scenic route through the Adirondacks. I love riding in VT, lots of dirt roads to get "lost" on.
    Milechaser and StanBo like this.
  20. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just went through Bradford on Sunday
    DirtyRoadie likes this.