The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone have Anthony's contact info for a reflash? I'd like to get mine done this winter.
  2. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think there is someone in the U.K. that does it. Some of the European guys here should know. If not, over on the Super Tenere forum there are a number that have done it, and will help you.
    NightWatcher likes this.
  3. theregulator

theregulator Shut Up and Ride Supporter

Oddometer:

User:
    avc8130
    MVI, Stomp347 and fpalbrecht like this.
  4. ArkieRider

ArkieRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have his email also. I’ll pm you with it
  5. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any Super Tenere owners in north Idaho or anywhere nearby?
  6. NightWatcher

NightWatcher n00b

Oddometer:
    Most owners i see you are from America
    Nobody from south europe
    So Ecu reflash to well known mechanics
    is difficult here
  7. ricerooster

ricerooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Replaced my radiator fan motor after I dropped it from my last off road adventure. Fan motor is from a 2007 FJ, all I did was splice the wires together as they matched in color. When the fan kicks in its pulling air out instead of pushing air into the radiator, is this correct or did I wire it backwards?
  8. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, you got it right. Air comes in through the scoops, through the radiator and out. Fan helps it when needed.
    Jdhuff likes this.
  9. ricerooster

ricerooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome thank you.
  10. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm simply confirming what I believe I've read in this thread regarding slip-ons, full systems, etc to make sure I'm keeping up. Keep in mind this is my son's bike and he doesn't live in the same town as the bike (it's in my garage).

1. Simply replacing the stock exhaust with a slip-on is damn near useless without performing the cat clean out.

2. With a cat clean out, the stock system damn near performs like a typical slip-on, so purchasing one doesn't help greatly.

Am I correct in these assumptions? I recently met a guy that owns a welding shop and he'll perform the canister cut for a very reasonable amount. I've got all winter so no big hurry. Bike has been flashed.
  11. elricfate

elricfate '15 S10 ES

Oddometer:
    Yes and yes(ish) - on the second thought, for the most part you'll have a better experience with flashing the ECU for arrow headers as they remove the bell, meaning the transfer of gasses is far less turbulent, on the other side it acts as an expansion chamber, which helps a lot of 2 into 1 exhaust systems with burning exhaust more efficiently. The results of either are mostly negligible and equal to one another, so it's not really a big deal either way. If you got a guy who will cut and weld the catted system for cheaper than a set of arrow headers, you're pretty much good to go. Either way you should be seeking an ECU flash thereafter if you truly want to see results/not cause an overly lean condition.
    rd400racer likes this.
  12. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    FWIW the Staintune slip on I fitted reduced some of the throttle snatch off closed throttle. That and fixing the header leak combined more or less eliminated it. I mainly fitted the Staintune so I could hear the engine, I never quite got used to not hearing the engine with the stock muffler and as a result was too often in too tall a gear when I needed throttle response.
  13. elricfate

elricfate '15 S10 ES

Oddometer:
    New Dunlop Trailmax Missions installed

20201014_171623_HDR.jpg 20201014_171615_HDR.jpg
  14. K Michael Kadinger

K Michael Kadinger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let me know what you think of them. I live in Indiana USA and while flat here lots of mud so I'mm intetested in how well they clean out and traction in the sloppy stuff
  15. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been running a set on my Super T for about 4000 mi now. Recently did the NEBDR with them. I don’t think they are even half worn yet, especially the rear. I am impressed with them. The front has great feel and seems to perform well in most terrain off road and on. The mud/ slick conditions are where the rear performs least well. The front seems good in the mud. My AX41’s were better off road (knobbies) but were very loud in comparison to the Missions.
    3E4533EA-E0A5-4B20-A791-C507E96A25E6.jpeg
    StanBo, BaldKnob, MFP and 3 others like this.
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I'd wager the Shinko 804/805 and the Michelin Anakee Wilds will be much better in muddy stuff.
    Jdhuff likes this.
  17. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you done much wet pavement riding in the 4K you’ve been running them? What’s your thoughts on them in that situation?
    Milechaser, Jdhuff and MFP like this.
  18. Karson

Karson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to pick up a Motofizz tail bag. Hoping to have it be double purpose as a softer backrest for a pillion, too. This will be replacing a Givi 46L on an AltRider rack. Can anyone offer insight on if the small or medium is best for this? I think the large is too big, but I'm not sure.
  19. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    8300 miles on gps tractionator. At the wear bars. Tire is 3 months old and the MOTOZ cracks had started. rear was good. lasted little longer then k60. not a fan of the front. gonna run a TKC 80 up there next. Had a e07+ rear mounted for the winter. IMG_20201014_112907384.jpg
    MFP likes this.
  20. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For comparison, here is my MotoZ Tractionator GPS mounted in Off-Road direction with almost 11,000 miles. Will probably strecth it out for another 1,500 miles before replacing.

Mixed riding of paved curves, 85mph highway loaded with luggage, Michigan sand, gravel & two-tracks. Typically run 36psi.

MotoZ.JPG
    Jdhuff, Pdrhound, MFP and 1 other person like this.