The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. elricfate

elricfate '15 S10 ES

Oddometer:
    So far my initial reactions to the Trailmax Missions are as follows: On pavement the front end LOVES to tip into corners, way more than my old Battleax A41s - that was disconcerting at first. It rides a little bit like a blocky tire on concrete but with much less noise and wobble. There's still some wobble but it's not terrible. When cornering on pavement, under heavy acceleration, it gets a little slippy in the rear, but I think that's just the kind of acceleration I was doing and the fact that it's a 50/50 not a street bias 80/20. In the wet on pavement it performs admirably, I didn't notice any issues that it didn't already have while dry. I have not yet taken them off road (it's been cold and I DO have to work), but I'm certain in anything but the most sloppy conditions, they will do well.

I will also say that at 124 on pavement, there is no speed wobble or noise level that is unacceptable. So all in all, so far I'm really happy with their performance. I'm about 100 miles off what I could call scrubbed in (250miles), so I'm hopeful that as I get used to the way they are different, I can adjust my riding style to match and have more confidence in them on-road.
    StanBo, MFP and Madscrapper85 like this.
  2. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve had some wet pavement riding with them but not a lot. No issues so far. It has been the driest summer in New England that I can remember. People often said the Shinko 705’s were bad in the rain but I never had a problem after many sets and some extremely heavy rain. That said I have never had a problem with any tire in the rain.
  3. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've always had great luck with Shinko 705s, wet or dry. They felt like they tipped into corners too fast after I was used to the factory Bridgestones. It took about 5 turns for them to feel natural. That rear Trailmax looks A LOT like a 705. I'm running a set of Dunlop Trailsmarts right now as Chaparrel was blowing them out at 70 buck a piece. I ride almost exclusively on the road so they are working well. They are a whole lot quieter than the 705s.
    Back in the day there was a company called Tomahawk that sold re-treaded motorcycle tires. Being the king of cheap, I had to try a set on my Superhawk. Those tires were AWFUL, wet or dry they were super sketchy. I ended up taking them off after a few weeks!
    NewEnglander likes this.
  4. NewEnglander

Oddometer:
    The rear tire is kind of similar to the 705’s but deeper tread and they look like they will last longer . On the NEBDR they performed much better than I thought they would. Probably would have been better off on the super rocky class 4 with a knobby like the AX41’s I ran before but wanted more mileage out of a set of tires.
    MFP and strommonster like this.
  5. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t know how you guys get so many miles out of tires except that you are not ever hammering on.
    My Moto z tractionators had 5996-miles on them and as far as I was concerned they were done. I do not run my tires until they are bald and if you ever have the misfortune of blowing a tire you will most certainly change your outlook on tire decisions. I liked the Moto z’s and was happy with the mileage. The metzeler tourances don’t do any better than that. Saying that I have normally always had far less miles on a motorcycle tire then many others that I know or ride with.
    Stay safe.
    Big Gav, vt wingman and BergDonk like this.
  6. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    Shifting smoothly helps with tire mileage also.
    Watson1970, Jdhuff and WJBertrand like this.
  7. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Truth. One of my riding buddies is SUPER smooth. From Arkansas to Alaska and back on same set of E07's, and still has at least 2-3k left on them. And no, he doesn't ride slow, just smooth.
    Watson1970 and WJBertrand like this.
  8. pnw-rider

pnw-rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got fed up with the short ass side stand yamaha puts on this bike. 20m later at my local welder and now it’s perfect. The bike leans over plenty still, but doesn’t feel like its going to fall when i tip it onto the stand.

That is solid steel on the bottom. Should do great. This adds 0.6” to the side stand effective length.

IMG_4100.jpg
    Stomp347 and Watson1970 like this.
  9. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe that I’m pretty smooth riding and shifting.
    One thing for sure is that I don’t ride like a gramma and never will and surely will not ride to see how many miles I can get out of a set of tires or will I ride until they are bald or close to being bald.
    Hack'dTiger likes this.
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    CJBDRdude, Watson1970 and Milechaser like this.
  11. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A09D4313-76D4-4E03-851F-806714C1AF4F.jpeg

I guess I was due for an air filter. 17,000 miles
    NewEnglander and fpalbrecht like this.
  12. NightWatcher

NightWatcher n00b

Oddometer:
    Full synthetic 10-40 / 10-50
    Or Semi Synthetic 10-40 ?
  13. K Michael Kadinger

K Michael Kadinger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response I am currently running the Shinko's
  14. K Michael Kadinger

K Michael Kadinger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried my first set of Motoz Tractionators on my trip out west, and I like the Rear tire, but the front tire. While the tread lasted quite well at 8500 miles, I developed catastrophic cracks in the front tire sidewall.
  15. NewEnglander

Oddometer:
    Yuck! Here is my air filter after finishing the NEBDR in extremely dusty conditions and never leading the group. Engine side of the air box was squeaky clean, just some oil. There was a bit of oil in the little drain plug. My face looked about the same as the filter at the end of the day.

DDB9F3C6-2275-4A70-8CE5-DAC34A3364E7.jpeg
    StanBo, Jdhuff, strommonster and 2 others like this.
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I ran them on my AT, good on tarmac and off. Reasonable life span.
  17. DanijelTodic

DanijelTodic n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys!

First of all let me introduce myself: My name is Danijel, 34 year old teacher based in Amsterdam. I ride a 2015 S10 with 62.000km on the clock.

Love the bike! I just keep riding when i get on it. Drove more in a year since i have the bike then i have done in 10 years riding motorcycles.

I do have one problem that i am not able to solve. It's oke to live with but i need to know what it is and what the logic behind it is. I do all the maintenance and repairs myself and can say i am pretty knowledgeable regarding motorcycles and how they work but this i can't seem to figure this out.

The problem: The bike accelerates really slowly around 4000 RPM in 2nd gear when i give it full throttle without slowly rolling on. It does this only in 2nd gear and 4000 RPM. The bike accelerates better from 3500 RPM then it does from 4000. The same goes for 4100 RPM and up. It pulls hard.

The ECU mapping has been checked and different mappings have been tested, including stock and flashed. No difference.

TPS/APS/Ignition/plugs doesn't make sense because it seems only to happen in 2nd gear.

I made a video showing the problem. You can see that when i accelerate from 4000 RPM that the revs increase really slowly. The bike feels sluggish and slow. Like it's being choked.

I hope somebody can help me with this problem or point me in the right direction. Who and where to ask.

Thanks!
    Milechaser likes this.
  18. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting problem, I dont know but am watching to see if others know!
    DanijelTodic likes this.
  19. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Typical. It was so dusty on the NVBDR that we spaced out for at least a half mile. A local rancher told us it had not rained in 7 months.

Masks are controversial, but I think I may start wearing one on dusty group rides just to keep my nasal passages clear of the 4 pounds of dust I usually inhale.
    StanBo and strommonster like this.
  20. NewEnglander

Oddometer:
    I was dropping back a lot to keep some distance but we tend to stop at each turn to make sure the guy behind is ok and doesn’t miss the turn. This causes the slinky effect and I can’t seem to keep a steady distance. There wasn’t much wind and the dust just hung in the air for most of the days riding.
    It was great riding in Alaska with a group and we spaced apart so we would rarely even see each other. This works great up there when few had 60+ miles between any turns!
    I was really contemplating wearing my mask while riding. Probably should have . Blowing a pound of dirt out of my nose was no fun.