The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depending on the group, we sometimes do the stop and wait for the guy behind you, then go pattern. All route and group dependent.

I am toying with the idea of a single layer material to catch most of the airborne dust particles. Hell, it works for the air filters, why not our air intake? I already have sinus issues on a normal day without adding in a couple pounds of dust.
    NewEnglander likes this.
  2. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody riding street tires on your S10? Fitment seems to limit selection. Which choices are preferred?

My days of pounding over the rocks have ended.

NFE
  3. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like the new Michelin adventure tires. Yes not totally street. Last a lot of miles and great on dirt roads. Great feeling tire. Might be worth checking into.
    No False Enthusiasm likes this.
  4. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I second the Michelins. I'm running Pilot Road Trails on my Tenner and they stick great, also excellent in the wet. I've got about 6,000 miles on them now and they've prob got another one or two thousand miles in them before they're down to the wear bar.

@No False Enthusiasm Here are some more choices, you'll need to do a little game of back and forth to make sure they're available in both sizes.
    The American Motorcycle Tire site is a little tricky to navigate but it is the BEST place to get tires in my opinion. I've bought a dozen tires from them at least and have gotten the best service. Love these guys.
    Front and rear street

And just to confuse things, some of the street tires for this bike are in the dual sport section of the site.
    Front and rear dual sport
    No False Enthusiasm likes this.
  5. elricfate

elricfate '15 S10 ES

Oddometer:
    Having run the BattlAx A41 tires, I can tell you they are EXCELLENT street tires. They stick like crazy even in 30 degree temps and wet, and they're very nimble.
  6. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    8,000 miles before I took them off. Still tread left. I just don’t run to the end. And I bought these to go around the Great Lakes. Very happy with wet pavement feel, at least 60% of tire life they also felt good over those nasty sealed grooves. I honestly believe that these Michelin adventure tires might be the best mostly street and dirt road tires for the super tenere. Just my opinion. Been through many tires in 88,000 miles on my 2015.
    Trip Hammer and Achtung like this.
  7. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll order a new set of tires before the end of the season. I just have to choose between the PR5s and the Avon Angel GTs, which I didn't know were available in the right size for the S 10. My buddy swears by the Angel GTs on his Z1000 and they're 140 bucks less, which is tempting.
  8. CatBehemoth

CatBehemoth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Michelin Pilot Road 5 for commuting and on-pavement trips. Love them
    StanBo, Moto Jimmy, twinrider and 2 others like this.
  9. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chaparral Motorsports has crazy low prices on Dunlop Trailsmarts. Despite being called "Trailsmart" they look to be pure road tires. I've had a set on for about 1000 miles now and like them a lot. Plenty of grip wet or dry and don't seem to be pulled around on grooved concrete. Can't say much about how long they will last since I only have 1000 miles on them.
  10. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You said your days of pounding over rocks has ended that could mean you still ride some dirt roads just nothing difficult or it could mean No dirt at all for you. If that means you ride 100% pavement than why buy an 80/20 tire like the Michelin Adventure; it is an excellent tire and is what I run, but I still ride the occasional dirt/gravel road but nothing wild. If not pounding over rocks means some occasional smooth dirt roads than Michelin Adventure is your tire, but if you are 100% pavement buy a 100% road tire is my advice, unfortunately I have no recommendations on a full road tire.
    Milechaser likes this.
  11. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    One does not need 'trail tires' to ride gravel or dirt roads. I have ridden hundreds of miles on gravel and dirt with my Concours with pure street tires. It is more technique and confidence that keeps the bike moving in the general direction one chooses. YMMV

When I wear out the sets of tires I have on hand, I will be putting street tires on my S10 as I don't plan on riding any more BDR type riding with it for the most part. I have a replacement inbound, not changing my preferences.
    Madman4049 likes this.
  12. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...does anyone like the Metzeler Tourance the bike came with? I did.
  13. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I liked them quite a bit for pavement riding, not so much on dirt and gravel.
  14. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I agree, I meant it in the context of road riding, they gave me a lot of confidence and never "let me down".:D
  15. MikeCMP

MikeCMP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was not a fan, after about 3k they cupped on me. when you would be leaned over the bike would shimmy after the tires were cupped.

Never had another tire on my S10 wear in that particular way. Also, compared to the Adventurecross AX41 I had on after, the tourances were not as nimble on the street, which I was shocked about. The tourances were pretty quiet though.
    Milechaser likes this.
  16. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bike didn’t come with metzeler tourances.
    Came with Bridgestone. 2015.
    Regarding metzeler tourances the last two sets that I have had has been awful awful.
    Handling, grooved pavement, dirt roads, everything. Just awful and I use to really like metzeler tires. Never again!
    If I’m going with that style of tires it will be Michelin adventure tires.
  17. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input... going with PR5.

NFE
    Cantab and Achtung like this.
  18. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    My days of pretending it's a dirt bike are also over. Been running PR5s for a few thousand klicks and love their handling, grip and quietness. They also seem to be lasting well.
  19. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that you mention it I think it was Bridgestone that came as OEM on my 2016. Whatever they were I do remember I liked the OEM’s for on road use.
    I haven’t had a set of Metzler's since my cruiser days.
  20. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly, I actually prefer street tires even on gravel/hard pack dirt for the bike. I've done both extremes TKC-80 and Pirelli/Continental street tires, my favorite and what I just installed a 2nd set of is Continental Trail Attack 3's the feel and life of these tires is amazing both on road and off.

Same, I just came to the same realization and so a while back I took the knobbies and off-road farkle stuff off. I put street tires and the tall windshield back on and treat it like an upright sport tourer for iron butt's and multi-day trips which it excels at, not trying to pretend it's a 450 dual sport. Sure some 6'+ folks who are built like fridges can throw this 600lb bike around but my 5'6" 160lb self cannot and it's frankly too expensive to be thrashing around and dinging up.