The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I finally came to the realization that I’m to old and fragile and it’s too expensive to fix my body to be thrashing around and dinging myself up. :lol3
    twinrider, Cuttin and Madman4049 like this.
  2. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Good, but pricey choice of tire. My favorite streety tire is the Pirelli... 92CC343D-2188-4E41-BB49-D070C7133E50.jpeg
    No False Enthusiasm likes this.
  3. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^This.
    the days of picking up falling bikes or dragging them out of mud holes are long gone for me (never mind ~600 lb beasts). I do use 705’s though. I find them better for dirt/gravel than a straight street tire, and there are lots of fun dirt roads round these parts. They work fine in wet/dry stuff as 1)I don’t push them too hard and 2) the beasts weight helps in the traction dept I think.
    WVhillbilly, MVI and DirtyRoadie like this.
  4. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Front: Even though I'm all street, I've run Shinko 705s for the front, did 14,448 miles on the first one.

For the rear, the 705 didnt last (only 5,378 miles) so I replaced it with a Mich Road Commander II in 160/70/17. The Road Commander in the back lasted 15,854 miles! I had two almost new but used rear tires in my garage, so I spooned the first of those on. I'm sold on the Road Commander.

Dirt: Ok, I do have some dirt tires I bought but never mounted, guess I'll need to try those out sometime. Bought them for a trip that got COVID cancelled.
    No False Enthusiasm likes this.
  5. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    15,854 miles , holy crap I may have to try one of those! How's it grip? I can drag pegs pretty easily on the 705's. Haven't gotten the chance to push the Trailsmarts yet.

6. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had shitco 705`s and while yes they last an eternity they were hard and didn't grip well at all. Went to Pirelli whatever they're called then Conti TA3 which I like so much I just went back to from Tkc80.
  7. Madscrapper85

Madscrapper85 There's a chance I just sharted

Oddometer:
    Must be riding different 705s mine didn't last 6k and had grip on road for days.
    DirtyRoadie and eemsreno like this.
  8. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Grip is fine, I dont drag pegs but think its a super hard compound in the center and softer near the edges. I am not particular about tires, I just dislike changing them so long wear is big for me.
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  9. CounterSprocket

CounterSprocket n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello to my fellow Super Tenere riders. I am having a small issue and would like to see if anyone else is experiencing (or has in the past) the same thing.

Background...2018 Super Tenere ES, purchased as leftover early 2020, only 3,000 miles on the bike. My bike has started to stall out at random times. It has happened a few times when the engine was cold and a few times while up-to-temperature. The one thing that seems to be common about the stall is that the throttle has always been closed. Either just started and idling or slowing down with the throttle closed and clutch pulled. Seems like a strange fueling issue but I am not used to anything like this with my past Yamahas. Probably going to take it to the dealer to get it documented under warranty. Just wanted to check around to see if this is somewhat common among these bikes.

Thanks for any input that can be offered.
    Milechaser likes this.
  10. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2015 88,000 plus miles. It has stalled a few times but it was never something consistently happening.
    Definitely make the dealer figure it out. Warranty.
  11. eemsreno

eemsreno Super Tenere Rider.

Oddometer:
    I have a 17 and it would stall when newer, dealer called Mother Yamaha about it and they had the dealer set the CO up to +45 and that fixed it. No charge.
    Milechaser likes this.
  12. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    There's a few folks on ST Forums including myself who have had this happen occasionally, if I remember right fix was CO like stated above I messed with mine and haven't had an issue since. Ok now I gotta go find some wood to knock on.
  13. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    I would presume you have a 12 or 13.
    They can be adjusted by the owner through the dash. 14 and newer can only be adjusted at a Yamaha dealer.
    Milechaser likes this.
  14. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a 2018 ES , 14000 mi, also and it has done this a few times. Same thing, when the throttle is completely closed and at slow speeds it would just stall as if it was just shut off. Most often at stops. Hit the start and it fires right back up. It hasn’t done it in a long while and not very frequently. Hasn’t happened in about 5000mi.
  15. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    140,000 miles ???
  16. Madman4049

Oddometer:
    12 is correct, through the dash after using a jumper if I recall
    eemsreno likes this.
  17. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2016 stalled when cold. Not much, maybe 3 times. Since the flash, it never happened again.
  18. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't usually ride with 90/10 tires but I spooned on the Trailsmarts too for a trip to Arkansas last week. I also put on 1000 miles with two dry days and 1 1/2 days of rain. No problems in either situation. I got'em from Chaparral as well and for $130 a set, I don't see how you can go wrong.

19. CounterSprocket

CounterSprocket n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all of the responses on this. I feel a little bit better knowing that I am not the only one suffering with this issue. Just to be clear, adjusting the "CO" is a slight modification to the fueling? Are they taking measurements from the exhaust gases at the dealer or is it just an adjustment?

Either way, I am setting up an appointment with the dealer just to be on the safe side. Thanks again! :super
  20. eemsreno

Oddometer:
    I think Yamaha wants the dealer to have a Gas Analyzer in their shop to make these adjustments.