The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    I bought some back when somebody pointed them out (maybe you). Still sitting in the garage waiting for what is on there now to wear out. But I got to thinking about how cheap they were and I would need some more someday so yesterday I ordered some more. Hope that doesn't jinx me. By the way how do you like them so far? From the video I would say you like them pretty well.
  2. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think it was a good move to pick up some more. I originally bought two rears and one front since I usually get two rears to one front tire. I'm tempted to buy one more set but I typically run something a little more off road ish.

I like these tires just fine. I haven't had to many tires over the years that didn't perform decently though. As far as these go, no unexpected slips in the wet or dry, I've never low sided or high sided (on pavement) and they turn in nicely. What more can you ask for? I have 1/8" chicken strips on the front and that's it. Man I love riding in Arkansas and Missouri! And the wear looked good for the little I rode them. I don't have a lot of a need for many 90/10 tires, but would buy all I thought I needed at $130 a set. Mine were produced in mid 2017 btw.
  3. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! Thanks for the tip, I just ordered a set. I really like the Michelin tires but for 1/3 the price I'll give these a try. Great deal.
    Speedtrap likes this.
  4. psyfalcon

psyfalcon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone using the Happy Trails nerf bars?

I can not get the left side radiator support to line up to save my life. I can thread the bolt, or the stock bolt just fine. But the second I try to line that long bolt up with the radiator support it wont thread.
  5. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    Now that you mention it I haven’t had any idiopathic stalls since my Anthony flash either. I’ve stalled it once or twice with my own uncoordinated clutch work.
    Madman4049 likes this.
  6. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have them, I recall issues with the front bolts due to the t-rex skidplate but no issues on the side bolts for left or right side. I assume you got all bolts in barely started (super loose) and then tightened the remaining? I know that I did not have to modify any holes on the sides.

Capture.JPG
    pizzaboy likes this.
  7. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went to the garage and took better photos of those two side mounts on the radiator side. Looks like they are at the extreme end of the "slot" for both. On the radiator, bar is as far back as possible. On the upper bolt, the bar is as far down as possible. Conclusion: I was pushing the crash bar down and back towards the rear tire when getting my crash bar holes to line up. Do that only with the front bolt barely started.

20201030_124209_resized.jpg 20201030_124207_resized.jpg
  8. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the Anthony flash also. It stalled a few times before and after. Has happened maybe once in the last year and that was many months ago.
  9. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

Will be seriously looking at a 2016 ES this weekend. Any tips?
  10. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Depends on the mileage. If over 26K miles, has the valves been checked, otherwise, condition and if the maintenance has been done on schedule, how clean...etc

Don't be afraid of higher mileage if the bike has been maintained properly, lots of them still going in the 100K+ mileage, and several over 200K, with nothing but normal maintenance.
    Liberator likes this.
  11. Liberator

Oddometer:
    Seems like there are good records but no mention of valves being checked and it's around 27K. I can certainly do that myself, although the bike is still under warranty until summer 2021 so almost wonder if I should let a dealer do it. I've done Ducati valve clearance checks and adjustment as well as my KLR so it's something I don't mind doing and it makes for a nice winter "bond with the bike" project.
  12. HeliMark

HeliMark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No reason to have a dealer do it, if needed, for warranty purposes. If no one knows about the valve check, then a great bonding thing, but be aware, tight area to work. Not many people have good things to say while doing the check. Rare that you will find any valves out, but two exhaust were on mine. The other Tenere forum has several threads with pretty detailed info on the check and what is involved.

Most dealers are charging around $400-600 to do the check.
    Jdhuff likes this.
  13. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a fun task for sure, just kidding it's not fun. It's not terribly hard but it is meticulous and time consuming as hell, I had a few out on mine I had to shim. The most nerve wracking part was that first start when you know you put everything back in the right timing but you think maybe you didn't, what if it slipped. Then it makes that beautiful rumble and you smile and put the cowling back on and go for a celebratory ride you've just completed successfully one of the most annoying tasks on this bike without killing your bike.

Yes there's a thread on Tenere forums and I believe RTW Paul did a very detailed write-up both make this doable and are very clear.
  14. Liberator

Oddometer:
    I always like to have a winter project. Not super worried about the tight spaces and annoyance after the Ducati. Best part is that when it's a winter job you can do it at your own pace and not be worried about having to get back on the road (well, with COVID that's not as much of an issue but....) I'll just roll her on my lift table and check swingarm bearings, etc. too.
    Jdhuff likes this.
  15. Liberator

Oddometer:
    Oh man, I know that feeling. You have this dread in the back of your mind and when it starts right up and doesn't go BOOM you're the coolest person in the world, lol! Thanks the ref for the write-up. Have the shop manual as well and plenty of time this winter.

And, I DID decide to buy the 2016 ES after Facetiming with the guy and will be picking her up next weekend! Sooooo geeked! Really nice guy. He even called himself anal and I could see that, lol. Pointed out every little thing and was very straightforward.
    5valves, Jdhuff, HeliMark and 4 others like this.
  16. elricfate

elricfate '15 S10 ES

Oddometer:
    Nice. Welcome to the family. I bought one from a dealership near me, found out an inmate here had owned it previously, and it showed in all the quality gear on the bike and proper maintenance done to it. You're going to have a blast once you get used to the higher ride height.
    Liberator likes this.
  17. Liberator

Oddometer:
    Oh I'll be happy with the ride height as I'm 6'1" with a 32 inch inseam. I'm always looking for taller seats and have raised a couple of my bikes a little. Excited to ride this one for years and years.
  18. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Liberator likes this.
  19. sedwards

sedwards I don't post much!

Oddometer:
    New Shoe Day!

7176A7E0-6EE6-4492-9331-4680A6356A24.jpeg

Getting rid of these Mitas E-07’s. I know they are well regarded by many but they were the least grippy tires I’ve ever had. Not sure if it’s because they were 4 years old when I bought them or because they just suck! I had 0 confidence in the corners and the abs kicked in every time I went to the rear brake.

940939B7-DE86-4276-854F-4BCCBC082727.jpeg
    MFP and Liberator like this.
  20. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really don't particularly like my E07s either. Looking forward to mounting up the Dunlop Missions, but it will be quite a few miles down the road as the E07 last a long time and I won't get rid of tires before they are worn out.
    Jdhuff likes this.