The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. sedwards

sedwards I don't post much!

Oddometer:
    I’m the opposite. These only had 2200 miles on them and my safety and enjoyment outweigh any cost concerns. They were really terrible. I’m going with a more street oriented tire. Michelin Annakee Adventure. Taking the Chapmoto video advice.
  2. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the adventures.
  3. sedwards

Oddometer:
    I hate when you buy tires and they are 4-5 years old.

73038EB1-DF8B-4B7B-826E-2626DCCBA1EA.jpeg
  4. sedwards

Oddometer:
    Chaparral just did a pretty comprehensive tire test and they won the 80/20 category irrespective of price or mileage. I haven’t really been riding much real off-road on my Tenere; using my 450l for that. Might as well have a less dirt worth tire.
  5. pnw-rider

pnw-rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anakee adventures are going to be the next tires i run on this bike. I like the battlewings actually, but they are just ok.

I may switch over to a set of TKC80s for the summer if i try to do some of the wabdr, but otherwise an 80/20 suits me really well.
    Liberator likes this.
  6. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This year has been a blight a couple different ways. What is in the news aside, my 2016 Super Tenere was a bit of a maintenance hog like her German cousins. A pinion seal, air filter, and front brake switch were all on the unplanned list. The rear tire puncture early in the season had my confidence shaken. But alas this weekend I got out and laid down a problem free, fun ~300 miles.

This bike is great and the maintenance headaches mean nothing when I can spend a day smiling. Hopefully next year I can put on a few more than 5k miles.
  7. Milechaser

Milechaser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I loved my Michelin adventure tires
  8. sedwards

Oddometer:
    Good to hear! I'm going to stick with TKC-80's for off-road with the Tenere and Michelin or Bridgestone for the street. I've always been amazed at the grip that the TKC's have on-road; if they only lasted a bit longer.....
    Milechaser and Liberator like this.
  9. MFP

MFP Urbaner

Oddometer:
    Is that a sweet & nasty 718 GT4 in your AVATAR pic?
  10. sedwards

Oddometer:
    Yes sir! Had a 981; traded in for this. Probably one of the dumber financial decisions I've made in a while but.... not the last.
    Jdhuff and MFP like this.
  11. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You aren't alone. I tried a set of these when I had my Tenere. I took em off and gave them to a friend who was about to buy some. I'm always the guy who laughs when people talk about how their [insert perfectly fine performing tires here] are terrible, and they slide, and blah blah blah. The -vast- majority of time this is a) due to ham-fisted operation and/or b) fiction. Well, these tires had traction similar to what you'd expect if they were carved out of wood. One finger on the front brake lever was sufficient to engage ABS, I about killed myself the first time I rode on a wet concrete off-ramp, they felt awful, and after about 1.5 miles on my local twisty 2nd and 3rd gear road they were so greasy that I thought I was getting a flat. They were passable on gravel, but that was the only mitigating factor.

I replaced them with Shinko 705's and was never happier.
  12. Madman4049

Madman4049 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a weird thing last night that has me baffled I don't remember experiencing before. I've been adjusting the fuel float to get a smaller reserve reading shooting for a 200 range prior to low fuel light in prep for another much longer Iron Butt, I carry a Rotopax. So last night I'm riding to see how my latest tweak of the float arm fared yay 191.7 looking good, almost there. Anyway low fuel light starts flashing F +1.7 pull into a gas station pop the tank and it vents out, it's a positive pressure not a negative nice little pssshhhh and fuel drops/vapor fly up as I pop the fuel lid. So this is what has me baffled, how is this possible? The Super Tenere fuel system is not a pressurized system it is gravity with electric pump and has two breather vent hoses going down to the ground. Additionally the temperatures were dropping not rising, it was around 7pm and sunset is 5:30pm so fuel in tank would not be expanding like on a sunny day. Can anyone explain this? As a side note I just passed 70,000 miles on the odo I told myself at 100,000 I'm getting an FJR:)
  13. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...tank vent pinched/clogged?
  14. pizzaboy

pizzaboy Been here a little too long

Oddometer:
    Anyone know the size of the crush washers for oil drain plugs ?
  15. WJBertrand

WJBertrand Ventura Highway

Oddometer:
    I think some amount of positive pressure in the tank is normal. There's a relief valve in the cap that should stop it becoming too high though. As pointed out if the pressure seems a lot higher than usual you may have a pinched vent line. There should not be any negative pressure in the tank. First it might cause fuel delivery issues caused by excess vaporization including boiling and it would make it very difficult to open the fuel cap.
    Madman4049 likes this.
  16. Killacurb

Killacurb Dad

Oddometer:
    I believe it’s 12mm for oil drain plugs and 14mm for final drive.
    pizzaboy likes this.
  17. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing like the feeling of getting ready to pick up a new bike :) Adult Christmas.
    talcon, Jdhuff, MFP and 4 others like this.
  18. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, me too!
    Liberator likes this.
  19. Liberator

Oddometer:
    Woo hoo!

IMG_4560.jpg
  20. Liberator

Oddometer:
    Wunderlich not making the extended shifter any longer or is it that there's a particular BMW model shifter that you have to order? Big boots, definitely need an extended shifter and brake pedal.