The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awfully quiet around here, anyone want to talk suspension? Winter is coming and I'm planning to upgrade. I'd say I'm mostly dissatisfied with the forks but I'm wondering if you had around 1,000 bucks to throw at your Tenner's suspension how would you spend it?
    I was thinking sending everything to Traxxion who my friend went to an was very pleased with.
    Any other ideas.
  2. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty happy with the springs and Penske valves I put in a couple months ago. Paired with a second hand Ohlins on the rear, it is on rails now. I do all my own work, and that stuff added up to ~$900.

You can't go wrong upgrading the S10 suspension. Hard part is where to spend the money...
    Achtung likes this.
  3. Achtung

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I do all my own work too normally but I can't valve and charge a rear shock so that's why I was going to send everything to Traxxion.
    There's so many other options though that I can't figure out where to go. I was waffling between Race Tech and Traxxion but the Penske valves sound interesting too.
  4. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had great results with Terry at NorWest Suspensions, he's an inmate here too!. Great guy and very knowledgeable, used to work with RaceTech.
    Jdhuff and Achtung like this.
  5. worncog

Oddometer:
    Ditto on Terry's work.
    Dons1911 and Achtung like this.
  6. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Anyone ever use cogent for the s10 suspension?

what are you guys upgrading for more on road or off road?
  7. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Cogent rear shock on my S10. It's a great shock. Gets used on blacktop and dirt.
    Liberator likes this.
  8. BlueRidgeKat

BlueRidgeKat Daily Commuter

Oddometer:
  9. Achtung

Oddometer:
    Hope you're not ditching the Dyna.
  10. russell44

russell44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In my opinion the rear needs the most work.

My suggestion is to keep an eye out for a quality aftermarket shock that fits your budget. Often you can find a used aftermarket for a fair price or spend some more for a new aftermarket shock if you are willing to spend the cash.
    I found a used Yacugar for around half the cost of new and am happy with the result. With a new or used aftermarket shock you can recover a lot of the cost if you reinstall the stock shock before you sell the bike and then sell the shock separately. For sure you can get over 50% back so this is my argument for going this route.
    Personally if I was buying new I would get a Penske shock over anything else out there.

Do some research before you buy anything and decide on a spring rate before you order anything. Do not just order a shock and tell them to spring for your weight. If you do I almost guarantee you will get a shock that is way under sprung.

I looked at several options before I did my forks and decided to go with race tech valves in the stock cartridge and straight rate spring from Sonic springs. Very happy with the results. Sonic Springs are made the same length as stock so easy install. Other springs are different length than stock so new spacers need to be made for installation.

If I was in the USA I would have went with Penske valves from Stoltec, but I am in Canada and going the race tech route was easier and cheaper. I did the install myself and I am very happy with the result.

Bike is transformed with proper rate springs. Stock bike is so underspung in the rear, you will not believe how much better it is with a quality shock and proper spring rates front and rear.

Spend the money on the rear first and if you have anything left over then do the forks.
    fpalbrecht and BergDonk like this.
  11. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    no that’s a bike I love. It’s a keeper, but I want to get an adv bike with shaft and there’s only 4 I know of. The gs, guzzi, triumph, and the s10. Of those I think the s10 fits the bill for me. The wife has a 2014 model and it’s a great bike, has o er 40,000 on it and has only needed a starter switch housing. If I get into more, like I use to run, then a T7 will fit the bill. For this time in my life though I think the s10 is best. Sent an email in on a 2018 leftover but haven’t heard back yet, plenty of 2019 and 2020s around but I’d prefer a different color. 2017 sand or a 2018 blue would work well.
    Achtung likes this.
  12. Achtung

Oddometer:
    I went through the same decision process and reached the same conclusion. The S10 is the best bike for me.
    johnwesley likes this.
  13. worncog

Oddometer:
    The Penske valves came with a predetermined stack, so it was pretty much a plug and play once you released the retaining nut on the base post.
    Achtung likes this.
  14. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    As someone else asked, you guys that are doing suspension work. Do you ride a lot of off road? The reason I ask is that I have a '14 non-ES and find the stock suspension works excellent for my somewhat spirited riding style. To me it is not harsh, well damped, and I can find a good setting for whatever style or load I'm carrying with the available adjustment. I'm at 30,000 miles and do not venture off road much, just the occasional dirt or seasonal road, but our roads around here suck with many frost heaves and potholes. The only bike I've ever had with better suspension was a KTM 990Adv. and I've had quite a few bikes over the years.
    I should mention that I have a stock Harley Road King that I am comparing the S10 with. That bike is pretty harsh, especially the rear and I will likely be looking for shocks for that bike soon.
  15. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gen-1 S10 owner here. I replaced the rear shock spring with the kit from RaceTech (spring + adapter collar), rebuilt the front forks and the bike is just right for my 220# ass. Sure, it's probably better if you get the emulators, rear shock, etc., but you can't beat a simple spring upgrade to just start with ($135).
    Achtung likes this.
  16. Achtung

Oddometer:
    I use this bike as a big sport touring rig and I've always felt the front rebound was too fast no matter what setting I put it at. Even when I'm not going too aggressively it feels like it's bouncing. I may just do springs and some heavier weight oil in the front at first to see how it helps. I've always thought the rear shock was perfectly adequate but I'm curious what an upgraded unit is like, maybe not thirteen hundred dollars worth of curious though.
    DirtyRoadie likes this.
  17. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have an ES and I thought about redoing the suspension now that I have 30,000 miles on the bike. I see Terry with Norwest suspensions talked about from time to time, does anyone know if he does the electronica suspension to, or just the conventional shock and forks?

I did recently respring the shock with the race tech drop in 9.0 kg. It made a huge positive improvement.
  18. russell44

russell44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A lot depends on your weight. There was a discussion not long ago and the rider was 165lbs and he could not get in the range of proper sag at max preload setting. If you are any more than that I would be looking for a solution.
    Take 10 minutes and measure sag front and rear and see where you are with the preload set to the max setting.
    Stock spring is around 690lbs/inch and doesn't work for 165lbs. For reference if you are north of 210 lbs to get proper sag you need a spring between 900-1000lbs/inch. I am 215lbs and was using a 900lb for a couple of years. Now use a 950lb and honestly have considered trying a 1000lb spring.

I didn't mind the stock fork before I replaced the shock. It wasn't great, but I could live with it. Same feeling as you not enough rebound damping. Part of that is because the bike is sitting so low in the rear there is not enough weight on the front.
    When I did the shock and got the bike at the proper height in the rear I immediately felt the front as harsh. Any small bumps/ ripples the pavement were now more pronounced than before.

The stock compression piston has extremely small ports and does not flow a lot. This is the reason for the harshness. Using thicker oil will certainly help Get a bit more rebound damping, but these small holes in the compression will make it even harsher. At least it did for me when I tried 10wt. I would stay with 5wt.

I think you could get really good results with just a change to a good straight rate fork spring properly sized for your weight. I will never understand why they fit those garbage progressive springs.
    I was going to just do springs, but it's a long winter up here so I decided to spend a bit extra and revalve the cartridge.

Penske double clicker from Stoltec is right around $1000. In four or five years if you sell the bike you can easily get 5-$600 for the used shock. It's pricy but you just need to find a way to justify the purchase.

I really want to get a new T7 but I can't find a way to justify the cost just yet. It's a long winter so I might find a way by spring time.
    Speedtrap and Achtung like this.
  19. Achtung

Oddometer:
    Really great information and advice, I'll measure the sag next chance I get.
    Thanks!
  20. Stomp347

Stomp347 I'll do anything fun Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great discussion. I went with the RT front springs and the Ohlins rear shock. Best money I've spent besides the reflash. Once you get it sorted it will be a hoot to ride fast, on or off-road. Good luck whatever you decide.
    Achtung likes this.