The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    I'm fortunate to have a mate who is a suspension guru. He's been in the game since the early '70s and has many championships to his name as a rider and tuner here in Oz at up to and including national level, but he also understands what the average rider needs. I've got an Ohlins up back with the right spring for me that he's revalved a couple of times, and lengthened a bit too. Up front, he ported the stock valve bodies and shimmed them to his spec. They were then further tuned based on my feedback. the longer shock adds travel, and improves steering, without sacrificing stability.

The comparison between good suspension and the stock S10s is chalk and cheese. I ride my S10 on all sorts of roads, from sealed twisty mountain roads, to moderately technical fire trails and it soaks it all up.

The trick is to find a tuner that wants to work with your input, and can set things up to suit you, not get something off the shelf, that might be better than stock, but is unlikely to be as good as it can be.

FWIW, the harshness in the forks is due to too much high speed compression damping, the rebound isn't too bad as is, and dual rate springs suck. Dual rate springs seem like a good idea at face value, but damping needs to be configured for a particular spring rate, and when the spring rate changes, the damping can't follow.
    Stomp347 and russell44 like this.
  2. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    So with those thoughts it seems the rebound may be good for off road but the compression does flow enough to for high speed compression. The short stroke high speed stuff. So the Toltec fork valves may be a good way to go? Not sure what the other offer, may just be a revalve which still leaves the restive valve in that could present harshness/ traction issue in studded bumps. Just doesn’t seem to be a lot of options on the forks.
  3. russell44

russell44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know why you think that?
    It depends what you route you want to take, but as bergdonk mentioned he had good luck revalving the stock pistons if you want to go that way. If you want to spend a bit more you can replace the stock valves with several different valves. Ohlins, Ktech, elka, GP suspension, Racetech, Penske all make high flow pistons for the stock 20mm cartridge.
    You may not see them listed specifically for the S10, but there are only 2 or maybe 3 different valves for most KYB 20mm cartridges.
    Racetech compression valves are a S2040 Type 1, rebound FRGV-S02. All you need to do is cross reference this part to the other makers and find the valve they make that will fit the S10. Now picking a stack for that valve is more of an issue, but there are lots of options.

For example a 2006 Yamaha R1 uses the same race tech comp and rebound valves as our S10. Any aftermarket 20mm valve available for the R1 will work in our cartridge as well.

Stoltech has tested and decided on valving for the Penske valves in our Super tenere and a very good reason to go that route. Price is good, and Penske valves are top notch. But if I was in California near GP suspension I would visit them and probably get their valves in my cartridges.

Here is a pic of the stock compression piston and the race tech piston. The tiny holes are the compression ports.

I

Attached Files:

4. Mondo Endo

Mondo Endo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im sure this has been answered many times but a friend just bought a new Tenere 1200 and and wants to know who to use to do a refresh.
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Where are you located?
  6. worncog

worncog YBNormal Supporter

Oddometer:
    Remember... The T7 is going to need similar work to get it to perform well. As in fork revalve/shimstack and shock respring/revalve, in addition to the usual farkle/armor.
    russell44 likes this.
  7. russell44

russell44 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I fully expect that. Love working on suspension and look forward to it if I break down and buy one.

Last year when they were bringing the T7 around to dealers trying to setup preorders they had a special night. 20-30 people after regular hours with the big reveal etc etc. Everyone looked at me funny when I cranked the rear preload to the max, pulled out a tape measure and started measuring the sag.
    But they all wanted the numbers when I was done.
  8. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easy to respring an ES shock? Assume that using the spacer and collar that come with the RaceTech spring it's pretty basic. Any tips or gotchas? May end up doing this over the Winter.
  9. elricfate

elricfate '15 S10 ES

Oddometer:
    It's no different than any other respring, really. It does require patience. They still make a series that you can reuse your oem collar with.

20200614_194840.jpg
    20200614_201118.jpg
    20200614_201124.jpg
    20200616_140657.jpg
    20200616_140643.jpg
    20200616_191035.jpg
    20200616_191049.jpg
    russell44 and Liberator like this.
  10. Jdhuff

Jdhuff RAT BRAIN

Oddometer:
    I had my stock gen1 shock rebuilt and resprung by Norwest Suspension. Night and day difference from stock which I didn't think was too bad. He's the only one I found that would make a stocker rebuildable. Cost is a fraction of the Big name shocks. MY forks work fine for me with just a respring. YMMV
  11. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of recommendations for Norwest suspension. I'll need to check them out. Thanks.
  12. Dons1911

Dons1911 Long timer

Oddometer:
    His name is Terry, great guy!
    Achtung likes this.
  13. Speedtrap

Speedtrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I takes some fiddling to get the shock to come out the top on the right side but it is doable. You will have to twist it some and also move the swing arm up to free up some space at the bottom. Some people take the rear wheel off, but I used a fellow inmate's tip and just used a small ratchet strap from one luggage mount draped through the top of the wheel over to the other luggage mount (or something close) and raised the rear end up that way.

From what I read, most use the Tusk spring compressor. There are two in a package and most said it was doable but scary using just the two. I already had a set one from changing out some lighter springs on a different bike but opted to buy a second set. Glad I did. I used three to take the spring off and that went very well, but found it was best using all four to compress the new spring (9.0 kg) which did the trick and without worry of injury.
    Stomp347, Jdhuff, Liberator and 2 others like this.
  14. Liberator

Liberator Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. pnw-rider

pnw-rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took the honey badger (my white and black tenere) out for a jaunt tonight.

God i love this bike.

I dont care that yamaha is about to retire it, they will have to pry this one from my cold, dead hands.

I have owned many bikes of all mechanical configurations, and the tenere is the one bike that is just *perfect* for me and the way i like to ride.

I have always enjoyed riding heavy bikes hard.

I had a yamaha roadstar warrior and it was a joy to ride fast and drag hard bits.

I had a harley sportster that i massively upgraded the suspension and rode the piss out of too. Another heavy bike i adored.

And the tenere. Yeah shes 600lbs, but she can *dance* like a much lighter girl.
  16. Achtung

Achtung Wicked Pisssah Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Retiring? Says who? I did a quick search and found some news that maybe they weren't being Euro 5 tested but nothing saying that Yamaha were discontinuing the platform.
    I'm sure whatever happens the tuning forks will be attached to some large displacement dual sport bike.
  17. elricfate

elricfate '15 S10 ES

Oddometer:
    That's the rumor every year, they're discontinuing the model because it doesn't see a lot of support. It's never seen a lot of support, but people still snap them up. As long as it continues to make money, especially in the face of the 700 finally being released here, they'll keep making it. No one wants to re-gear an entire line if you can help it.
    Jdhuff likes this.
  18. Big Gav

Big Gav Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My local dealer (UK) said they are indeed being retired . According to him he can't order any new UK spec s10s. There is a 2021 model for the US market but.......
  19. Killacurb

Killacurb Dad

Oddometer:
    I have read this online as well but wasn’t sure the source was reliable so was hoping not. Hopefully Yamaha will replace it with something as good, with maybe a bit more HP :babe
  20. pnw-rider

pnw-rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah its official in Europe.

For the us we get a color change for 2021, but thats it. My guess is that they will sell the remaining stock in 2021 and then no 2022 model.

I hope they just go dark for a bit and then unveil a reboot....but i am biased.
    Jdhuff and Killacurb like this.