The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    This one is use a lot on the KLR! and why not the DR, I can say it works 2 ways, first it gives you a better seat, and 2) if you want to be a little taller (maybe +1 in.) it will also do it.

Damasovi
    yellowmike likes this.
  2. DUSTSTROM

DUSTSTROM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm about to get the GF off the back of my bike and teach her how to ride her own, I'm sure the TW200 is a great beginner bike and a fun bike but should I get her learn on a more "conventional" bike like a XT250? I'd like to move her up one day to a 400 or 650, so if one of our bikes has a problem we can ride out two up.
    We found a 09 TW200 with 125 miles on it for $3000, she seems most at ease on it due to the seat height.
    TW200 or a 250, or does it even matter? We'll be rideing on mostly dirt logging roads and maybe 30% on pavement.

Duststrom
  3. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    Buy it! You'll both love the thing.
  4. tommyg

tommyg Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 06 for my girlfriend to learn on It was the right choice over the dr200. We use it on country roads and two tracks and single track. The big tires off road really help her. At 5-4 its a little tall,but not bad. great learning bike and I like it too.
  5. mutt2jeff

mutt2jeff Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer:
    Airing down the tires a lot did wonders for my girlfriends off-road confidence, especially on the really rocky trailer we have here. Riding the TW is a breeze, and even though she has another bike now I dont think she will ever get rid of it.
  6. DUSTSTROM

DUSTSTROM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, we're going today to pick her up.
  7. funster

funster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yea im 67 and i bought a 09 the other day fun to ride but the suspention sucks. put on 45 mi. on forest roads and it beat me up. im starting with the rear shock either change spring or considering changing position of lower mount to put more leverage on the shock. will let you know what i come up with.:eek1
  8. Clint Taurus

Clint Taurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lately I've been reading everything I can find on the web about the TW200.
    I'm starting to think I need to unload my Vespa GTS250ie and get one.
    All I do with the vespa is back and forth to work (2mi one way all residential) and make beer runs to the store and runs to Lowes and Home Depot for little stuff, but I keep seeing all these little pig trails I would like to explore on a small lightweight capable trail bike. I already have a large heavyweight & capable DS bike (BMW R1200GS) but as some of you may know it's just to big to get really jiggy with on the trails.
    Would the TW do well for city riding? I know from reading this forum it will do everything I would ask of it off road but I suspect my use would be more than 70% on road in town riding. My local YamazukiKawaHonda dealer says I can test ride it as long as I want after I give them $4000.
    What pearls of wisdom have y'all got for me?
  9. Streamin' E

Streamin' E Half-assed adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you'd better buy one. :D
  10. StromBoni

StromBoni Hot Dog Captain

Oddometer:
    I live in Chicago, and for most of the year, a DR650 is my only transportation. However, during the winter months, anytime there is snow or ice on the ground, I grab the wife's TW and use it for my commute. It is a great little city bike. The only thing I don't like is when there is an open street with stop signs/lights a block apart. Because the gearing is so short, you end up shifting a lot. Shift up 3 times, down three times, up three times, down three times... over and over and over...
  11. switz

switz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On this and other TW200 commentaries, one find that the engine can get really hot at higher speeds. If the commute has speeds less than 45 mph, I think all will be well. I would not go too long between oil changes.
  12. threerun

threerun Montana'eer!!!

Oddometer:
    I run the piss out of it in town. I put a cycleracks rear on the back, strapped a MOLLE pack to it, and I can load 2 suitcases of beer on it.. If I want to detour and hit the powerlines on the way home from work I can do that too.

I had the same thoughts when diesel was $5 a gallon (and my 'car' is a 98 2500 Ram Cummins 4x4), considering a scooter for putzing to work. I saw the TW200 for sale locally, tried it, bought it, and love it. I'll get a larger bike at some point, but I am NOT selling my dirt-scooter. came close to considering it in the winter, but came to realize this little thing does exactly what I want. Cheap, reliable commuter and go-getter with the ability to explore some back trails. Hell- near 80mpg and fun to boot, what's not to like? I changed the front sprocket from a 14 to a 15 and it really helps around town. Keeps the revs down at 45-55mph roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. funster

funster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have a 09 the throttle response was terrible so i drilled the slide air hole next to where the needle is a little larger and shimed the needle up 20thds. runs great. BILL:clap
  14. Laconic

Laconic Boomer Berserker Nativist Rube

Oddometer:
    Sweet! :D
  15. johnnydanger

johnnydanger Dangerous!

Oddometer:
    I don't own a TW, but I saw a... whacked out one in Shibuya, Tokyo:

[​IMG]
  16. tpar1220

tpar1220 such a pud..

Oddometer:
    i have heard to much of this for it not to be true. my 07 has no throttle response.

shimming the needle, i get that... thats no problem. but drilling the slide? not so much.

help a brutha out, you wouldn't happen to have any pics of this would ya. i wanna do this, but i prolly should know exactly what i am drilling before i drill.

thanks in advance..
  17. Speed Rayzor

Speed Rayzor n00b

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a 700 mile 04' TW200 "for the wife":lol3 last night.

It was a perfect night for a 65 mile ride home and I was really surprised how well that little dude did on the highway.

Pics to come soon.......
  18. peelu

peelu Fantan

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hey guys, Nice to see a TW200 specific forum on ADV rider. Anyways, I just replaced my stock chain with a D.I.D o ring chain and the shifting is really notchy feeling. I did notice that the chain was a whole lot stiffer than the stock chain, so perhaps this is to blame. I have the tension pretty decent, as I know this seems to be pretty important for smooth shifting. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this after replacing the chain?
  19. turbonotch

turbonotch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i haven't owned a TW200 for a few years... but i wrote one of the first reviews on this site about 5 years ago because nobody seemed interested at the time. yet they raved about the Super Sherpa? bah.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40322&highlight=TW200

it was just too quirky of a bike NOT to try :rofl

i sold it to pay for a crosscountry trip - but have been missing it ever since. it is THE ESSENCE of what motorcycling is... basic, instinctual fun :norton

since then, i've watched torturously as you guys continually find new, interesting ways to modify the old T.urkey W.ing 25 years after the fact. I'm loving the ATV tires, wider pegs, carb jetting, and bigger tanks! Cheap, simple, effective upgrades.

I think that combined with the cycleracks rear rack will make it a great tool... for the job of having fun.

like many of you, i been working an angle justifying another purchase. my girlfriend wants to learn to ride and she's pretty short. just so happens many states use the TW200 for rider training courses :evil

seems like a good enough reason for me :clap
  20. threerun

threerun Montana'eer!!!

Oddometer:
    I recently replaced my chain with a DID O ring, new 15t front sprocket and new 50 rear. No notchiness at all. Quite the opposite, actually. Smooth as silk and much better when shifting. Double check and make sure the chain tension is correct.