The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Its not like out West, it sure would be nice to have some hills to climb, but you could keep the rocks...
    I am lucky its so close...
    JagLite, frog13 and WECSOG like this.
  2. Orthodoc

Orthodoc Cowboy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Padilen, wallydude440, frog13 and 2 others like this.
  3. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Orthodoc, I read your RR, and I'll follow along more as you add more. I'm planning some West Coast BDRs on my TW. They are perfect for these types of rides. Ride well. Be well.
    Orthodoc likes this.
  4. ReverendRev

ReverendRev n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Orthodoc. Nice work in the UP. Maybe we should ride sometime. I'm in GR too.
    frog13 likes this.
  5. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Changed the oil on the bikes and hit the trails before it got too hot (90F).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A lot of riding in a new area, it was very nice if a bit overgrown.
    The last picture was a large sandy open area, not sure what causes such stuff...

Talked with a few guys on race bikes, they liked the Tdub, I let one guy try it and he liked it.
    They do shorter slower rides and are shorter guys, so a tall 2 stroke race type bike with a small thin hard seat and suspension designed for 10 foot jumps seems like the wrong tool for the job!
    WECSOG, JagLite, Cyclepath and 2 others like this.
  6. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a TW200 locally yesterday. Seems to be in pretty good shape overall but someone gutted the stock muffler and lost the kick starter. Does anyone here have either spare for a decent price? I looked online and have not found any reasonably priced yet. Thanks, here's a picture of the little beast! imagejpeg_0_2.jpg
    WECSOG, JagLite and frog13 like this.
  7. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tdubskid has a DG V2 on his TW, I have one on my DR250 and love it. Prolly easier and cheaper to find than the original, and with the 1" dB reducer I'd call it pretty close to stock (better deeper sound, but not loud). Congrats on your TW!
    JagLite likes this.
  8. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost the Kickstart.......just the lever part , or internals as well?. Good purchase on your part !.
  9. nihil

nihil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the kick lever, 54G-15620-00-00 (old) or 54G-15620-01-00 (new), and https://www.boats.net/ had some in stock last I checked. If you need the full kit, there's a good post over on tw200forum with the list.
  10. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys got a kickstarter located it is the entire thing like it had fallen off. I really want a stock exhaust to keep it quiet just the back half don't need the header pipe mines fine.
  11. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out what mentolio advised on.
  12. Nobade

Nobade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want a trip meter on my '95 TW. Does anybody here know if the newer speedo will work on the older bike? I see you can get one from Yamaha for about $250 or one on aliexpress for about $20.
  13. nihil

nihil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't know the older bikes lacked a trip odometer. I'd bounce off the reserve constantly without that. Have you looked at the Trail Tech stuff? They make some neat looking gauge clusters and the price isn't horrible (definitely competitive with the $250 unit).

https://www.trailtech.net/
    Nobade and frog13 like this.
  14. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in setting up a Trail Tech Vapor dash on my TW, but it looks to be a bit more of a challenge with the front drum brake.
  15. Year1911

Year1911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spent Saturday and Sunday riding a TW on and off road and enjoyed the hell out of it, to the point that I am thinking about buying one.

Question: Can you go to a 15 tooth front sprocket (my understanding is that stock is a 14 tooth) without any other changes (chain or rear sprocket)? 47 tooth on the rear without any other changes (chain or front sprocket)? One preferable over the other?

Thanks.
  16. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Year1911.......are these changes for street only use , or a combination of on / off road ?.
  17. Year1911

Year1911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Combination. Currently it would be 80/20 street/dirt. Eventually (hopefully) it would be 60/40 street/dirt.

In either case, frequent runs on back country highways and occasional commutes to work would be the norm.

Just looking to lower the RPMs a little when on the highway. I found myself leaving from a stop in 2nd gear more often than not when I had the TW over the weekend, seemed to me the bike could pull slightly taller gearing fairly easily.
  18. assquatch20

assquatch20 Hoss Cat

Oddometer:
    Either sprocket will work without a change of chain but the stock chain isn't the greatest. The 47 tooth would be easier than changing the front sprocket and has less prime factors in common with 14 than 15 does with 50, so theoretically less chain wear, or more even chain wear I guess?
    Year1911 likes this.
  19. assquatch20

assquatch20 Hoss Cat

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the quality of the Chinese (are they Chinese?) ones, maybe just fine. I think someone in the TW Facebook group mentioned them before. Pretty sure the newer stock speedo will work just fine on an older model though.
    Nobade likes this.
  20. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Because it was easy, I went 2 teeth off the rear sprocket.
    Its better to go larger on the front, but you need a gasket.
    A larger front sprocket bends the chain less and has more teeth to share the wear, but one tooth on the front is like 3 off the back,
    maybe a bit much for dirt work.
    My bike can hit over 70 mph on the street, 60 is nice to run at, for really tight single track, 1st gear is too low, 2nd is too tall.
    I do not do a lot of tight single track...maybe when it cools off...

I put an O ring chain on as a non O ring chain wears VERY fast in the dirt.
    JagLite and Year1911 like this.