The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    After several crosscountry adventures on large touring motorcycles...I decided to try long rides on mid-weight bikes. First with a Kawasaki Versys 650 and then a KLR. Rode the KLR to Alaska. The smaller bikes definitely added a new, more simplified dimension to long distance motorcycle travel that I really enjoyed. I'm now wondering what the TW might offer???
    JagLite, frog13 and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    In what respect?
    In the dirt, its fantastic.
    On the street, not so much.
    Top speed is about 70 mph and it has a very strong buzz at that speed.
    50 is nice, 60 is ok.

Off road, its easy. Its lightish, its low, its got fat tires.
    There is a lot of aftermarket, seats, suspension goodies, racks, etc.
    It will go through about everything with ease, lug the motor or scream it, it does both well.
    Its a simple basic proven design with a long history.
    Its not a race bike but you can go quite fast on one.

If I was touring on the street, I would take my TU250.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you kept your travels to Secondary roads , it would be beyond fantastic.....IMO. Folks get to upset over their perceived over rev ing the TW at 60 mph......your not !.
    cateyetech, JagLite and Aguaski like this.
  4. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Other than Seat Concepts I haven't been able to find a complete replacement seat for my '19 TW. Any suggestions?
  5. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have a Seat Concepts tall seat on our TW. It's nice. Mrs Adams installed it on an eBay-sourced used seat pan without any drama.
    JagLite likes this.
  6. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say that it depends entirely on ones expectations and desires...

In 1903 George Wyman became the first person to travel cross country by motorized vehicle. He made his 3800 mile trip from San Francisco to New York City on a 1.25 hp 90cc California Motorcycle. His trip took 50 days! If you're not familiar with the story, it's an interesting read.

Earlier this year Richard Worsham, co-founder of Janus Motorcycles, completed the IBA sanctioned Wyman Challenge which is intended to somewhat retrace Wyman's route from San Francisco to New York. He completed the trip in six days aboard a Janus Halcyon. This is also an interesting read and can be found in the blog section of the Janus website.

Most of my riding these last few years has just been shorter trips on local back roads. Having ridden different machines over the last 40+ years, I've sort of changed in what I find fun and/or interesting about riding. This mindset, as well as this thread, among others, has piqued my interest in returning to my beginnings on a Honda XL70... A simple, elemental bike... As I've matured I've discovered that for me it's no longer about speed, or the miles I log on a trip, and is almost always just about the experience itself. I'll also note that I've never enjoyed riding a bike on the interstate. While it's the most efficient way to rack up the miles, if that's one's goal, for me it also the most efficient way to waste a lot of otherwise good saddle time.

I'm strongly considering ordering a Janus sometime over the next few months. Plan to see and ride them at Barber in a couple of weeks. At first it was just to have a cool, small bike for my typical short day rides close to home. But, after reading Richard's story I thought, "Why the hell not?" Not that I'd even consider anything as ambitious as Richard's trip. That sounds like torture to me, actually. But, for a ride along the Blue Ridge Parkway and back, over a few days, taking my time and enjoying the scenery... In fact, I suspect that with the lower average speeds of the BRP, a small slow bike may be more fun than my previous trips aboard a Ducati or R1150GS. As I said, it really depends on expectations and perspective.

There is a long running minimalist touring thread around here somewhere. And over on TWforum, there were quite a few stories of guys riding heavily laden TWs vast distances.
    JagLite and Allucaneat like this.
  7. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try.......Corbin, Sargent. I highly doubt they offer seats for the over looked tw200, but , never can tell.
    Sit N Fly has a net type cover as well.
  8. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mature is the key word.......flying around at " Mach 1" ......never been my cup of tea either. Nice post BTW.
    JagLite likes this.
  9. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your suggestions. I've had two Sargent seats and really liked both. Unfortunately, Sargent doesn't have anything for the TW. My one experience with Corbin wasn't favorable.
  10. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Understood.....bummer.
    Sounds like Seat Concepts is the way to go.....perhaps.
  11. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    From what I've read/heard...people are usually very satisfied with their Seat Concepts purchase. Guess I'll go in that direction.
    frog13, James Adams and JagLite like this.
  12. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have Seat Concepts on both my DR and TW and I like them.
    SC offers different material for the top and sides, as well as different foam densities so they can make whatever you want.
    I have the gripper material on the top of my DR seat and like it the best.
    I didn't have it put on the top of the TW seat and I really slide around on it so if I were to do it again I would get the gripper on top.
    Others don't like the gripper at all, some like the gripper material on the sides of the seat.
    Many choices!
  13. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I am with Randy, I enjoy small light fun bikes on more local trips, the TU250 is the most fun bike I think I have ever had.
    The TW200 works in the dirt.
    I did the seat concepts seat, although the stock seat is better then most modern dual sports, I find the seat concepts seat even better.

Running the TW at high rpm on the street is fine as far as the motor goes, although it may use oil, but it vibrates strongly doing that.
    JagLite likes this.
  14. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At 60 mph on my 09 , the engine seems to smooth-out. Folks may want to retorque their engine mounts.....perhaps ?.
  15. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    Or the frequency gets so high that you don't feel it as much?
  16. nihil

nihil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or by the time he actually gets up to 60mph he has been buzzing long enough to be completely numb. :D
    molochnik and Nobade like this.
  17. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    My bike buzzes strongly above about 50.
    I have better handlebars and foam grips which help, but there are much better small light bikes for street work if that is your main use.
    The XT250 was a handful in the sand around here, but it was very nice on the street, very smooth.
    Cyclepath and JagLite like this.
  18. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Go to a custom seat builder and have the TW seat modified to your butt. It's the only way your going to get a seat that fits. In the past on several of my bikes I have tried different seats such as seat concepts , corbin, sargent and others and for me they all suck.
    Fr8dog61 likes this.
  19. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nahhhhh.
  20. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Not to belabor the point...but, I rode a KLR with a Sargent for 41 days covering 10,580 miles. Most comfortable seat I've ever had. Had a similar experience with a Sargent on a BMW RT.
    TheHeretic, frog13 and JagLite like this.