The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    While Sargent doesn't list a seat for the TW, have you contacted their Custom Seat Services Division to see what they can do? Perhaps they could reshape the foam from one of their similarly sized models to work with the TW seat pan?
  2. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad it worked for you. Everybody's butt i different. I have never found any of the Aftermarket seats that were comfortable one size does not fit all as most of them seem to think. The worst seat I ever had was a Corbin. It was like sitting on a brick.
    I gave up on Aftermarket seats. There is a seat maker in Albany Oregon called mr. Ed's Moto. The best seats I have ever had made he has done four seats for me now they are like sitting on a pillow. The last thing you're going to think about on a long ride is your butt. He is only about 120 miles south of me so I take my bike there and he builds the seat around my butt while I sit on it and take it for a ride and bring it back and have him modify it until it fits me the way I like it.
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  3. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    No story to tell, I wish I did, it was more like playing a doctor on tv, I do play a minimalist in real life but don't do this as it turns out it sucks to not have toys, I'm currently looking for another bike so I can regain my sanity.
    JagLite and Cyclepath like this.
  4. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. Comfort is very subjective. There's a large variety in asses. Everything from size, pelvic structure, muscle mass, natural "padding", etc. I have a narrow, skinny little bony thing that hardly even qualifies as an "ass". And yet, for the most part I've always just dealt with the stock seats. Even on bikes that many complain mightily about. Maybe I just managed to kill enough nerve cells over the years... Or maybe I'm just tough! IDK... What works for one may not work for another. A true custom seat made by a skilled craftsman and to fit your actual ass definitely has a better chance of working well. Too bad they aren't on every corner.

I've heard of Mr. Ed's before and visited his site a while back. Looks interesting. You're fortunate to have something like that so available to you. If I lived near, I'd likely have been a customer at some point in the past as well. Unfortunately, for most riders it just isn't practical to travel vast distances, and places with that reputation aren't that common. That leaves the "custom" factory options as the only viable choice for many (most). Some get really lucky, some don't get anything at all, and others at least find something livable.

We use some amazing technologies in my industry. One applicable to this situation is Creaform laser scanning. At some point in the future, as technologies of this sort become mainstream and cheap, I could see a lot of custom consumer items becoming more readily available.... True custom seats for example... Laser scan your ass, email the file to a custom seat maker who then plugs that data into his seat contour software and BAM! A laser etched seat foam perfectly contoured to individual ass shapes! The tech is already here! The current Creaform software that we use daily has enough resolution to not only map your ass's shape, but also detect and accurately size every hair and pimple on your ass in about a 30 second scan and a few minutes of processing time. So maybe the riders of the future will have many more options...

Until them, the options available to most of us are pretty slim...
    JagLite, Cyclepath and Nobade like this.
  5. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    The seat on the TW isn't important enough for me to pursue a custom fabrication.
  6. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. I get that totally. It would likely be too expensive for me as well. Your post about using the TW in a more "minimalist" touring role made me think that perhaps it may be important enough to you... And if so, and considering your favorable experiences with Sargent seats in the past, I thought it was an idea worth suggesting... It's probably even something that an enterprising sort could probably accomplish themselves if so inclined... Since they make a few dual sport seats, I'd guess that one could find a used Sargent from a bike with a suitable size to allow for modification to fit the TW seat pan.

Other than that, it's pretty much stock, or Seat Concepts, I guess...
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    For my TU250, I took the seat to a local guy who does all sorts of stuff, cars, furniture, motorcycle seats, and said I wanted it taller and wider and that is what I got.
    Its very comfortable.
    I have more problems with my hips I think, and back, then I do with my butt.
    I used to ride for 12 hours or more a day on trips without problems.
    I use the TW for the dirt and stand often as well as move around and its a lot less painful then driving a car or street riding any bike.
    I can do 100 miles in the dirt without any issue at all, but at 50 miles on the street my body is screaming....

People really like the sterns atv seat pad wall mart sells and also the airhawk thing at minimal pressure.
    Both are a lot less then a new seat.
    JagLite and Cyclepath like this.
  8. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    So how much does a seat concepts seat or sargent cost...... my last seat by Mr. Eds moto was 400.00 dollars and that was for my Goldwing.
  9. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    I paid approximately $400 for the KLR seat. BTW, looks like Mr. Ed took a price increase. Screenshot_20190925-211728_Chrome.jpg
  10. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    Yes, it should work fine.
    Nobade likes this.
  11. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    It's not a big deal. I put a Trail Tech Endurance 2 on my drum braked TW.
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  12. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you have any photos of how you mounted the speedo pickup and magnet?
    frog13 likes this.
  13. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    IMG_20190926_093118.jpg IMG_20190926_093029.jpg
    Mine's pretty ugly, but so is the rest of the bike! :yikes It wouldn't take much more effort to make it look better. But it works, and that's what matters.
    I just JB Welded a button magnet to the hub. Another option would be to drill a 1/8" hole in the same spot and use the smallest threaded magnet that comes with the TT kit. IMG_20190926_093029.jpg IMG_20190926_093118.jpg
    James Adams and JagLite like this.
  14. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    those prices are for full blown complete seat rebuilding. he will charge you for whatever is nessasary to mod your seat to fit you.
    so all I can say is go buy your sargent seat or any other one you choose and be happy
    mr eds moto was only another option I thought you might be interested in seeing as you were looking for a seat, go buy whatever you want !
  15. manx16

manx16 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love my seat concepts TW seat , I also have their seat on a XT250 -DRZ400- CB500X-EXC500 and my 1090. huge improvement on each bike.
    goldenhtr, Eatmore Mudd and JagLite like this.
  16. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    I generally like the utter simplicity of the TW...except for the primitive design in how the seat attaches to the bike.
    juno, frog13, WECSOG and 1 other person like this.
  17. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the tw200forum.com, there is explanation of how wing nuts are used for simplicity.
    JagLite and turbodieseli4i6 like this.
  18. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on how your TW is utilized, a rack can be quite helpful......if not down right essential.
    turbodieseli4i6 likes this.
  19. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    +1...I installed a Happy Trails rear rack and Harbor Freight top box. Great for running errands. Also, a one gallon Rotopax fits perfectly. The Happy Trails rack is quite sturdy and provides a very good handhold for lifting the bike.
    JagLite and frog13 like this.
  20. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly.....personal preference, outfit the TW too how YOU need it to be.....not what the cyber world says it should be......Ride on.
    Mi0, Ride Now and JagLite like this.