1. eNewsletter Sign Up

The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the tw200forum.com, there is explanation of how wing nuts are used for simplicity.
    JagLite and turbodieseli4i6 like this.
  2. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on how your TW is utilized, a rack can be quite helpful......if not down right essential.
    turbodieseli4i6 likes this.
  3. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1...I installed a Happy Trails rear rack and Harbor Freight top box. Great for running errands. Also, a one gallon Rotopax fits perfectly. The Happy Trails rack is quite sturdy and provides a very good handhold for lifting the bike.
    JagLite and frog13 like this.
  4. Mi0

Mi0 Distilled potato connoisseur

Oddometer:
    Yes, I agree. But for myself I was thinking of a rear pack to wrap around the back of the seat, just personal preference. I don't carry much.
    JagLite likes this.
  5. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly.....personal preference, outfit the TW too how YOU need it to be.....not what the cyber world says it should be......Ride on.
    Mi0, Ride Now and JagLite like this.
  6. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I posted there that I am using Velcro to mount the seat and so far (2 years?) it holds great and is so much easier to remove for pulling the battery for winter storage. :thumb
  7. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forgot about your velcro option, apologies Jag......thinking out of the box !. That's the TW way. :)
    WECSOG and JagLite like this.
  8. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Velcro is a popular option among KLR riders. The KLR's seat requires removal of four side panel bolts and two seat bolts. Going to give it a try on the TW.
    frog13, WECSOG and JagLite like this.
  9. Toshito

Toshito Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My XT250 was less stable on the highway at 60mph than my TW200. While loaded up the front wheel of the XT was wobbling a little, and the high mounted front fender was sensible to wind. The TW feels more planted to me, even all loaded up with a top case, panniers and stuff on the passenger seat.

But even if the TW can do 60mph all day I prefer slower roads, between 40 and 50mph it's much more relaxed. I have a 47 tooth rear sprocket.
    Cyclepath, WECSOG, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  10. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    I've owned a couple of motorcycles that encouraged me to ride considerably above my ability. The 'white knuckle rides' were never as much FUN as the TW.
    Nobade, JagLite and frog13 like this.
  11. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an update from my previous posts, I had an exhaust laying around from a 2008 CRF150F that looked like it may fit and it does with very little modification. Here are a few pics I'm sure a CRF150F exhaust is easier and cheaper to find than a TW200. All it took was extending the CRF pipe about 1" with a scrap piece of 1 1/2" pipe and an adapter down from 1 1/2" to 1 3/8". There was no mods done to the header pipe the 1 3/8" slips right over it then you can throw a clamp on it. The only thing that didn't line up was the middle mount, I will make a bracket for it. I think the CRF looks better and sounds the same as stock and weighs about the same. 20190928_175102.jpg 20190928_180634.jpg 20190928_180629.jpg 20190928_175102.jpg 20190928_180634.jpg 20190928_180629.jpg
    juno, Nobade, frog13 and 2 others like this.
  12. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a great ass find! Good job
    afordableperformance and frog13 like this.
  13. afordableperformance

Oddometer:
    Thanks I'll post a couple more pics when I get the seat back on it probably tomorrow. Don't know why they double posted but I'll try to avoid that next time.
  14. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    cateyetech likes this.
  15. afordableperformance

Oddometer:
    Here's a couple pics with it installed seat in place. Again I am using the stock TW header pipe and a stock 2008 CRF150F muffler. Only mod was to lengthen the 150 pipe about an inch then install a reducer from 1 1/2" to 1 3/8" which I got at Autozone for $3. I used the stock Honda CRF150F clamp in front to attach it to the original TW header pipe which you can see in the 2nd pic 20190929_161021.jpg 20190929_161033.jpg . Still need to make a mid mount bracket but that is easy too. Just thought if someone has a rusted out TW exhaust this might be a cheaper solution. Thanks for looking!
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  16. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Got a nice ride in today, it was hot in the sunny parts but cooler in the thick woods.
    It had rained a lot last night, but not for long, so no dust, the mud holes were not over flowing.
    I went on some new trails, after 40 years I still find new trails...
    Most I would only do on the TW, and it was a workout even on the TW...
    The temps are still high but some fall color is starting:
    [​IMG]

Easy to get around this stuff...
    [​IMG]
    Old log house...
    [​IMG]

Batstow river...
    [​IMG]
    The mighty T dub goes down and up the cliff...
    [​IMG]
    Endless this stuff:
    [​IMG]

It was a very nice ride.
    Red Sand, juno, Bucho and 9 others like this.
  17. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many of your posts have me wanting to move to NJ. And for a Virginian, that's saying something.
    frog13 likes this.
  18. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have a smart ass comment. :beer
    frog13 likes this.
  19. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Well, if you like riding anyplace you want (almost) then South Jersey is nice, as long as you don't mind sand.
    The woods are always open, and if you have a tag, you are good.
    Lots of lakes, single track, dirt roads, whatever you want as long as its not mountains or rocks.
    In most places, if you keep going in one direction, you will come out to some road after 50 miles or so.

I have explored about half of the area in the last 40 years, there is a lot to the East I have not explored.
    Even so, I went down a trail that I have passed 1000 times but never went down, I did not know it went anyplace.
    It T'd into the trail from hell as I call it, very thick sand, big ruts, giant mud holes, detours off trail to get around things.
    Lots of side trails to explore off that one, and another trail I went down ended in a swamp.
    Not trying that solo, maybe if it dries out....
    Most rides I see very few people, sometimes some jeeps, a bike or two, almost never a ranger, often no one at all.

North East Jersey sucks unless you like New York City, central West Jersey sucks unless you like Philadelphia, but the North West is fantastic as is most of South Jersey.
    Taxes are high, but the schools are great, crime is low, the medical situation is fantastic (hospitals) and there are many good places to work.
    We have the shore, Philadelphia is very close, as is the Pocono mountains, Washington is 3 hours away, New York the same.
    Loads of great places to eat, no earthquakes, mud slides and the weather is moderate.
    We get 4 seasons but winter is getting shorter, summer wetter, and we still get some snow for the TW to play in...
    Weldman, ryder1, cateyetech and 2 others like this.
  20. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing place to ride /explore Brett.....ride on.