The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    Works now.
    frog13 and TheAdmiral like this.
  2. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see four photos.
    frog13 and TheAdmiral like this.
  3. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can view the photos now Admiral, looks like a desolate area......fun to ride I bet !.
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  4. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Final got to ride, went searching for fall colors. Great ride, poor color.
    Bought my 99 with about 4700 on it today I got to-
    IMG_20191010_164224869.jpg
    Ride Now, frog13, Nobade and 4 others like this.
  5. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, pictures look great now.
    Only one thing missing...

Me!
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  6. wildknits

wildknits Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Missed three days of fantastic fall weather here on the shores of Lake Superior while I was stuck inside working. So, as it was my day off, and the predicted snow is a day or two way, I decided to bundle up and get out for what might be my last ride of 2019. Rain was supposed to hold off until early afternoon....

Headed north to check out the Indian Lake State Forest campground outside of Brimson, MN:
    IMG_2358.JPG
    IMG_2359.JPG

The campground is located at the top right corner of this map. If I remember correctly there is at least one set of rapids on this route.
    IMG_2360.JPG

At this point the mist turned into light rain. I haven't ridden much in the rain before but figured since I was encased in waterproof gear I would be just fine. Temps were holding in the low 50's and with all my layers (wool shirt, wool sweater and down jacket on top, cycling tights and fleece pants on the bottom) under my Aerostich gear I was pretty comfortable. I did add some heat packs to my insulated gloves as I was having a bit of trouble keeping my fingers warm.

I moved on to one of my favorite gravel roads in the area - The Drummond Grade.

IMG_2361.JPG
    The dark overcast enhanced the fall colors, making the trees seem to glow.

IMG_2364.JPG

There are a lot of trails and gravel roads that branch off of the Grade that I am hoping to explore in the future. I made a short foray down one, but turned back as I was solo and the rain was starting to pick up a bit signaling it was time to head for home. But first a stop at one of my favorite spots on the Drummond Grade - Donna Lake. Apparently this is a good spot for trout fishing, as the MN DNR was conducting a survey of fishermen/women (the box on the tree) and also had a camera set up to count folks fishing.

IMG_2365.JPG
    IMG_2367.JPG
    The rain really started to intensify at this point and after leaving the Drummond Grade I meandered my way back to town on various back roads, both to avoid traffic and to continue enjoying the fall colors.

The ride taught me a few things:
    - riding in the rain isn't that scary
    - the new front tire is a great upgrade
    - my waterproof boots are not so waterproof, at least not the left one
    WECSOG, Bucho, cateyetech and 7 others like this.
  7. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
    frog13, wildknits and JagLite like this.
  8. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a few years of thinking about a TW, and off and on looking for one, I finally picked one up at Barber last weekend.:ricky

It's a 2009 with 3700 miles and in my opinion is in very good shape. He was asking $2950. Although, I'd been thinking about buying one for a long time, and even had a Craigslist email notification set up so I'd see what popped up in my area, I wasn't really planning to buy a bike at Barber, and wasn't really looking for a TW at all while there. But, my cousin alerted me to it when he ran across one for sale. While I was looking the bike over, my cousin spoke up and said, "All bullshit aside, what's your real number on the bike?" The guy thought for a second then replied, "I guess I'd take twenty five".

DAMN! :hmmmmm That was the magic number that I had in my head, so I just couldn't pass it up!

It also came with a few add-ons like Pro Taper SE Raptor ATV bars, bar risers, Moose Expedition rack, MSR shift lever, larger pegs, a pair of Acerbis barkbusters, and a factory service manual. The bark busters where in a box with miscellaneous original parts and such. They were pretty beat up so I'm assuming they'd previously been used on another bike as their condition didn't match the rest of this bike. They're not in the photos below as they weren't installed when I bought it, but I sanded the worst of the gouges out and installed them last night. Still not pretty, but serviceable and good enough. :thumb The guy I got it from bought it as a camp bike for the back of his motor home. He didn't use it much as he decided it wasn't what he wanted. He now wants a Big Ruckus for his purposes. The bike must have belonged to a big guy before the guy I bought it from as it has the ATV bars and risers. They were too high for me so I removed the risers after the photos were taken. They're JUST right now. Same with the shifter... it was too long for my feet, so I installed an IMS shifter last night and it's just right.

The bike will do 70 flat out, and will do 60 relatively comfortably. But, it seems happiest between 45 and 55. I have a new 47 tooth sprocket and X-ring chain to install this weekend. Also have a new Uni filter and Procycle jet kit so I'll get around to tinkering with the carb at some point.

The only issue that really bothers me is the clutch. It has to be the worst clutch I've ever experienced! It engages very late in lever travel and has a very short range of effectiveness. It's very difficult to shift smoothly. Especially from first to second. I have it properly adjusted but it just sucks. I thought at first that maybe the PO had just fried it and that I'd need to replace it soon. But it doesn't slip. And I've read a few posts on the subject over on twforum, and it seems to be a common thing with these bikes. :scratch Does anyone have anything contrary to say in that regard? Is there anything that can be done to improve it? :ear

Anyway, here's the bike the night I got it home and gave it a quick bath...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here it is on it's first shakedown ride...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh, and as everyone says, the Deathwing has to go!! Have a new Shinko 241 to install this weekend as well...

[​IMG]

:ricky
    Bucho, Ride Now, frog13 and 4 others like this.
  9. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Sweet bike! :wings
    Excellent price too. :jkam
    It sounds like my clutch is the same as yours, I think it is normal for the TW :ricky
  10. Allucaneat

Allucaneat When do we stop to eat? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, my clutch is about the same, too. I'm only about 20 miles from you - let me know when you want to terrorize the local area on TWs!
    Randy and JagLite like this.
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was afraid that was the case even if I was secretly hoping someone would say, "What? Something's wrong. Check this or that". Or, "Do this little trick and it'll be a great clutch". I can't fathom why the clutch would be that crappy, let alone why Yamaha has produced the bike this long without fixing it. It's almost as if it has two plates and a very steep cam on the actuation arm. It's just weird. :eek7
  12. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check your return spring on the clutch actuator arm, down on the left side at the case. Can't quite tell in the pic but it appears like something metal is just hanging there. They are notorious for popping out of proper position. Otherwise you could get stiffer clutch springs to help with the feel. Very nice looking bike!
  13. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I checked that initially. The spring is properly seated. The issue for me is the very short engagement range that occurs with the lever over half way out from the grip. It "works", and doesn't slip. It's just really weird, and makes it impossible to start off and/or upshift smoothly.

Kinda reminds me of the first time I rode my first bike, a 1976 Honda XL70, and had NO idea of how a clutch worked. I ended up coming to a stop, taking my hands off the bars, and dumping the clutch... Unfortunately, I came to a stop where my parents were waiting by their car... Bike did an awesome wheelie, dumping me off the back in the process. And as I sat there on the ground stunned, the bike rode that wheelie out for about 20 feet until it planted the engine cases right into the driver's door of my mom's brand new Lincoln Mark IV!! Didn't hurt the bike at all, but DAMN! The door had a HOLE in it! :yikes

Of course, I now know how to ride. Just sayin that with this clutch, it makes me almost feel as if I don't... I just can't seem to find the sweet spot of engagement that allows me to start off smoothly, or upshift from first to second...

Been riding for well over 40 years and never felt a clutch like this... :dunno:(

Perhaps I'll adjust, but I was just hoping that someone would know a "trick" to making these clutches work like a normal bike...
    JagLite likes this.
  14. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    My 2019 clutch seems like every other bike clutch I have ever had, fine and normal.
    What oil?
    I once put T6 rotella (diesel) in my TU250 and the clutch was on/off, no slippage at all.
    I run Mobil 1 synthetic 10w40 in my bikes and they shift fantastic and the clutch is everything I could ask for.
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... This clutch is definitely on/off, and with no slippage. I have no idea what oil the previous two owners used. Planning to change oil this weekend and use Mobil 1 10W40 though. Guess I'll see if it improves. And if not, I may throw a new set of friction plates in there that haven't seen unknown oils, and see what happens.
    JagLite likes this.
  16. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    I have six of them in my fleet, five are training bikes that get used every weekend with a lot of time working the clutch in the "friction zone" and none of them have issues with poor clutch engagement. They usually need to be adjusted a tad tighter than on most bikes, with only about 1/16" free play at the lever. Most other bikes I set with the gap around 1/8" or thereabouts. Basically I set it so that you can slip a nickle in the gap, but on the TW I set it so that a dime will almost fit, but not quite. Here's a pic showing the gap, but set it tighter than the 1/8" specified. As long as there is some gap the clutch will be fully engaged, just make damn sure you don't tighten it until there is no freeplay! (YMMV Adjust until you’re happy)
    clutch_adjustment_v700_lever.jpg
    Allucaneat and JagLite like this.
  17. wildknits

wildknits Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! These look pretty similar to what I have on my other "fat bike" (Framed Wolftrax). The pogies make a huge difference in winter biking. Considering what our summers have been like I might get a lot of use out of them! After all, I wear insulated motorcycle gloves all season long.

You are welcome! It is so hard to capture how beautiful this time of year is here. The trees were luminous yesterday.
  18. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks for your reply. I'll tighten up the clutch engagement a bit. If that and an oil change doesn't solve it, it looks like I'll be replacing the clutch pack soon. Oddly enough, I've had various responses from "that's the way they all are" to your and NJ-Brett's replies that implies that mine is not "normal". More investigation is needed obviously. But at least I know that better clutch action is possible, cause the way it is now sucks, IMO.
    JagLite likes this.
  19. Fr8dog61

Fr8dog61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wildknits I see you are in Duluth. I used to work in Duluth occasionally, I flew the airplane with the purple tail. (Not sure if I should say the name) On Superior Ave is Aerostitch who makes some of the finest motorcycle clothing right there in Duluth! It is a little pricey but lasts a long time. It’s fun to visit even if you’re not buying and they are great folks too. You should stop by for a visit. Address is 8 S 18th (18 th and W Superior) No I am not affiliated I just like the gear, it keeps me comfortable when its cold and wet!
    Snapper33, JagLite and WYO George like this.
  20. JagLite

Oddometer:
    Hopefully changing the oil will give you better clutch feel.
    I have several bikes to ride and each one is very different so the first few minutes on each bike requires some mental adjustment.
    After the first minutes everything seems normal to me... for that bike.

Keep us posted on your results. :beer
    frog13 likes this.