The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    I have been using Ride-On in all 8 of my street bikes and dirt bikes. Since I started using it years ago I have not ever balanced a tire again. For me it works. I use a little more then they recomend .
    I run 17 lbs tire pressure for the street and 13 for dirt riding. At what speeds are you noticing this problem ? I doubt that you are having a balance problem.
    What kind of tires are you using ?
    turbodieseli4i6 and JagLite like this.
  2. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jag.... I use ride on in all my bikes. On a trip a couple years ago with my 1500 Goldwing I stopped for lunch and ran over a bolt about 1/8 inch in diameter and didn't realize it until I came out from lunch. Luckily when I looked the bike over before leaving that bolt was at the back of the tire where I could see it. There was a llittle orange around the bolt from the ride on. The tire was still inflated. I hesitated to pull that bolt out but I put the bike up on the center stand and got the bolt as close to the ground as I could and pulled it out. I thought what the hell, worst thing is I would have to plug it. After pulling the bolt out the tire squirted out ride on for maybe 2 or 3 seconds and sealed the hole. I used the wings on board air pump to re-inflate the tire and went on my way. It held air for the 250 mile trip back home, when I was in my shop I plugged the tire and never had a problem after that.
    Nobade, frog13 and JagLite like this.
  3. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shinko 241 with a Michelin Ultra Heavy Duty Tube. I noticed it at speeds between 30 and 60 with the harmonics being more prevalent around 30-45ish. Having mounted and balanced my own tires for quite a number of years, I've sometimes skipped it. In some cases, I never noticed. In a few others, I did. Some actually need little to no weight. Others take some, with some taking a good bit. A lot of quality street tires need little as they are made for the purpose of higher speeds and the manufacturers maintain good construction and uniformity. Some have balancing dots on the sidewall to line up with the valve stem to aid in balancing. This being a cheap tire designed for trials riding (read slow), I doubt the manufacturer places a high emphasis on weight uniformity in the carcass. Plus, I'm using a heavy tube. I'm fairly sure the front tire needs to be balanced. It isn't horrific, just annoying. Either that, or the tire is out of round enough to cause it. (doubtful) In any event, I plan to pull it off tonight and throw it on my Parnes balancer, so I'll see how it does. Be a good time to check lateral and vertical run-out too.
    Ride Now and JagLite like this.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Went riding with Ed today, a seasoned enduro rider:
    [​IMG]

Some nice riding with some nice views, and some fall color.
    [​IMG]
    But not in that shot.
    I tried his bike, a wr250r (not the street legal one) and it is very nice, runs like a 2 stroke, a very noticeable power band and not much torque.
    Just pin the throttle and work the 6 speed trans and roost all over the place.
    I would get hurt on that bike.

I did well on the TW:
    [​IMG]

65F to 70 or 75F, no dust, firm sand from rain last night, but not enough to fill the mud holes, so a very good 60 mile ride.

I run about 10 psi in my tires.
    A flat in the front would be no problem at all, just ride it out, the Shinko tires are tough and stiff.
    The back tire would be a problem...
    I never balance dual sport tires and never had an issue.
    The heavy duty tubes can make it very hard to balance.
    The one I bought is incredibly heavy and thick.
    I would never use it in the front.
  5. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get it. But we ride in entirely different environments. From what I've seen your primary riding area is of fairly regular elevation, and mostly sand. looks awesome, BTW! But, I live in Georgia and ride in Georgia and Alabama. We have LOTS of elevation changes, with steep hills, and LOTS of rocks, ruts, clay, and mud. Front flats, or any flat for that matter, suck, IMO.

In my road riding experience, punctures are MUCH more common on the rear. In all my years of riding street, (knock wood!) I've never had a front flat, whereas I've picked up my share of nails and screws in the rear. On the other hand, off road, again in my experience, pinch flats are much more common on the front. I can't say that I've ever had a rear flat off road (again KNOCK WOOD!) With that said, If I could get the same tube to fit the oddball TW rear rim, I would.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I usually balance my tires when I mount them. Anything that is apt to see much road use anyway. Admittedly, on a straight dirt bike I've never bothered. Otherwise, on the few occasions that I didn't, it was on a dual sport. Sometimes it was fine, and other times I ended up balancing them after all. Now, for me, with the exception of the TW the other night, I just balance them all and be done with it. I was just tired and in a hurry when I mounted the Shinko. I did the tire first. First I discovered that the axle was such that the bearings were too small to fit the spindle on my tire changing stand. :doh That meant that I couldn't use my Mojo lever. :baldy So, I had to resort to the old school method of doing it on the floor with spoons! :2cry What a PITA! Then I remounted it hurriedly so I could get the new sprocket and chain installed. I wanted to take it for a test spin before the rain moved in, and just didn't think about it until it was too late.

I've never had an issue balancing and I almost always use heavy duty tubes. In fact, I came home tonight, pulled the front wheel off of the tdub and had it balanced in no time. It took 3/4 of an ounce on one spoke to get it close enough for gov't work. But now all is well and the slight wheel hop that I experienced last night is gone. :thumb

Now, I'm debating the pros and cons of adding the Clarke tank... I really like the looks of your natural version. Just concerned about the typical fitment issues, and blemishes that I read about...
    JagLite likes this.
  6. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    My tank fit and works well.
    The right side hole for mounting the side trim does not line up so I cut the nub off and fit a post to stick in the gromet in the tank.
    Its wonderful not having to worry about gas, and while it does not look great to me, checking the level of the gas so easy is worth it.
    I carry fuel bottles for other people with small tanks. I gave one to Ed today after about 50 miles...
    JagLite likes this.
  7. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the right side grommet issue seems to be a major complaint that I've read about on tw200forum. That and the blemish on the front left (I believe that's where it is). Even Clarke now has photos of the blemish on their website and have discounted the tanks as a result. Although, they still don't comment on the fitment issues that so many have experienced.. While the tank isn't "pretty", I think it looks purposeful. And for a bike of this type, I think that's fitting. :thumb The viewable fuel level is a bonus for sure. Seriously considering taking the plunge on one.

Did you get yours direct from Clarke or from Justgastanks? Justgastanks is a bit less expensive, due to free shipping, even with the discounted prices that Clarke is now offering. But, I'm just wondering which company is easier to deal with in the event of an issue. Anyone have advice on this subject?
  8. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I think I got mine from Clark, I was going to get it from procycle but they did not say they included the gas cap.

Tip: I used the gasket, the O ring did not work, it leaked.
  9. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't aware that Procycle carried them. Guess I should have known... Just looked and they now say that it comes with a cap. They also offer vented caps for an additional $11.95, with a note that the stock Clarke cap isn't vented.

Thanks for the tip on the gasket. I had forgotten about that issue as well. I've read reports of poor sealing surfaces on some tanks... :(

On another note, I first became interested in the TW a few years back. When I was looking into them I became aware of the ability to add a kick start, which was something I wanted to do. For whatever reason, I moved on and never purchased a TW back then. Then again, more recently I became interested once more and started looking into them again. I then discovered that the kick start kits were not as viable as they once were. :(:

Them more recently, I picked up my new to me tdub. And naturally, that led me to researching the subject more...

For those that are interested in adding a kick start to your post 2001 TWs, while the "kits" are hard to find and pricey when you do, I recently did some research that led me to a list of individual parts that make up the kick start "kit". I ordered it all today for $276.52 shipped.

If anyone is interested, here's the list of parts needed:

15A-15651-01-00 GEAR,KICK IDLE
    In Stock
    Ordered: 1
    $32.17

15A-15660-01-00 KICK AXLE ASY
    In Stock
    $63.82

15A-15666-00-00 SPACER
    In Stock
    $5.58

36X-15641-00-00 GEAR,KICK
    In Stock
    $36.10

401-15676-00-00 COVER,SPRING
    In Stock
    $2.49

4BE-15462-00-00 GASKET,CRCS CVR 3
    In Stock
    $14.13

54G-15620-01-00 KICK CRANK ASSY
    In Stock
    $86.96

90201-173F4-00 WASHER,PLATE
    In Stock
    $3.39

90201-175F6-00 WASHER,PLATE
    In Stock
    $2.26

90209-17226-00 WASHER,SPECL SHAP
    In Stock
    $3.00

90214-17028-00 WASHER,CLAW
    In Stock
    $2.64

90215-14186-00 WASHER,LOCK
    In Stock
    $4.69

90338-18014-00 PLUG,SPECL SHAPE
    In Stock
    $3.27

90468-26122-00 CLIP
    In Stock
    $3.39

90508-26538-00 SPRING,TORSION
    In Stock
    $4.55

93102-17263-00 OIL SEAL,SD-TYPE
    In Stock
    $4.85

97017-08030-00 BOLT,HEXAGON
    In Stock
    $1.29

99009-17400-00 CIRCLIP
    In Stock
    Ordered: 3
    $1.98
    molochnik, Red Sand, Orthodoc and 5 others like this.
  10. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good info, thanks for taking the time to compile and post.
    JagLite likes this.
  11. TheHeretic

TheHeretic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering if anyone else has seen the latest t-dubs kid video on frame cracks? I know about frame cracks from adding rear rack and heavy loads but was unaware of cracks near foot peg mounts. Has anyone else seen that issue or is it a fluke or just the t-dub beat down he gives his bike...lol.
  12. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Maybe from his thousands of crashes on rocks....
    frog13 likes this.
  13. TheHeretic

TheHeretic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well no argument there. As much as I love T-Dubs, maybe he needs an upgrade for the terrain he rides in.
  14. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I doubt anything would hold up better.
    He puts a lot of hard use on his TW, for years...
    I wonder what pressure he runs in the rear tire, plus I know he carries cargo to camp....
  15. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The kick starter kicks use to be readily available thru a Yamaha dealer in the PNW area.....name of dealer escapes me.....that's where I ordered mine about 4 years ago.
  16. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes but the kits were more like $350 he's saving $75 putting the kit together himself.
  17. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what PNW vendor you're referring to. I know that at one time they were readily available, but from what I've gathered more recently, they supply has dried up as Yamaha stopped producing them a number of years ago. Definitely not the gospel. Just what I've gathered from reading on the subject. Perhaps there are still some places that have them. I know that Placerlode has "a few left" at $369.99, and there's a seller that lists them on eBay from time to time for $389.99.

I was simply supplying the individual part numbers for those that may not be able to find the "kits" but still want to add a kick start to their bike.

BTW, I received all of the parts today. And new clutch friction plates and clutch holder tool should be here Saturday. So, hopefully, if all goes well, I may get it installed this weekend. I'll follow up once it's all together to confirm that the parts list I provided earlier is indeed everything needed. My research indicates it to be so, but since I've never done this install myself, it's yet to be personally determined... Wish me luck!
    JagLite, cateyetech and frog13 like this.
  18. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't Panic!
    Bike has been in production for over 30 years. If frame cracks were the norm, it would be well known. I'm sure there are some but not a common or regular occurrence. And easier to get fixed than aluminum !
    TheHeretic, JagLite and frog13 like this.
  19. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, they really went up in price. Still can't recall the vendors name
  20. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice that you supplied a parts list for riders who want a kicker.
    JagLite and Randy like this.