The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I recently bought a older model TW, 1989 and the kick starter was missing off the bike. Of course everything else is there and the shaft is fine, just not kick starter on it, as if it fell off or was taken off. So, I looked for a kick starter and they seem expensive for a single item. I found a few places selling an aftermarket one saying it was 16mm and fit the TW200 and TTR125, so I bought one cheap, $17. Of course, it does not fit, the splines on the kick starter are too fine to fit the shaft. So, I am still looking for a reasonably priced kick starter. Was your part list from Pro Cycle, I may just buy one from there since it was reasonable, I like the kick start option too if something happens to the battery. Thanks!
  2. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

Most likely that the one you bought was from a Chinese bike. They are known to not fit the TW splines. And no, the list wasn't from Procycle, but from researching the individual parts required to make up a "kit" of my own.

In your case, since you only need the kick start lever itself, I'd recommend eBay. Last I looked there were a couple listed there... Good luck.

Here's one such example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-YAMAH...900641?hash=item3d9224f521:g:AusAAOSwLDddZa8X

Or, for a bit more, you can get a new one as I did:

https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha/54G-15620-00-00

It lists as the part number above, but they actually ship the 54G-15620-01-00 which supersedes the original part number.
    JagLite and turbodieseli4i6 like this.
  3. afordableperformance

Oddometer:
    Thanks Randy! When I searched ebay before I could only find ones over $100, that's how I ended up with the wrong spines. I'll jump on the ebay link you provided after work and hopefully its still there.
  4. assquatch20

assquatch20 Hosscat

Oddometer:
    It was Bay Area Yamaha that pieced together the kits I believe. There was talk that one of the parts from the kit (I don't remember which) was going out of production but I'm not sure if it was true or not.
    frog13 likes this.
  5. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried it yet...but, it seems that it wouldn't be all that difficult to push start a TW. Probably the simplest backup plan.
  6. afordableperformance

Oddometer:
    I can't push start it in when its parked in the back of the shop in the middle of winter with a weak battery, that's my concern, I try to start my bikes a few times off season.
  7. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Battery Tender.
  8. afordableperformance

Oddometer:

Hi Randy, got home and checked that ebay kick starter out, it has worn out splines, but I found another and bought it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-YAMAH...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

thanks, if you didn't provide that one for me I may not have found the other. I have seen many of these used for over $100, that's kind of crazy for what it is. This was the last item I needed, other than fork boots, which are fairly easy to find and mine are only slightly tearing up top so that's not a priority just yet. Just need to decide if I want to pay more for red over black.
  9. afordableperformance

Oddometer:
    I have 6 bikes plus a bunch of other vehicles I start in the winter, its easier to start them occasionally and have a jump box handy than to have a bunch of wires, extension cords or moving a tender around.
  10. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried it either. Well actually I did the other night just for the hell of it. I have a slope going downhill out of my garage. I was pulling it out and already had it in gear so as I'm coasting down the drive I decided to see if it'd bump over. Nope, rear tire just skidded. Admittedly, I had it in first rather than second or third, so it wasn't an honest assessment. Although, if I'd had a dead battery at the time I'd have been SOL as my drive slopes up to the garage, and up to the street, with a low point in the middle. And, from experience with other bikes, it rather difficult to push start one up a hill, or when in a muddy rut, miles back in the woods on a trail, after you've drained a battery restarting a flooded engine once too many times that day... I have had batteries unexpectedly fail. Same with starter relays and buttons. Never had a kick start fail me yet though... Pretty foolproof backup, IMO. :thumb
    Cyclepath and JagLite like this.
  11. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would like a kick starter but not for the money it costs, so I have a jump box.

It works for all my bikes... :ricky
    And other bikes I may be with or come across. :thumb
    I would rather use my jumper than push someone else's bike :knary
    turbodieseli4i6 likes this.
  12. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    Prior to the most recent hurricane that went through my area I bought a small battery pack for charging my phone in the event the electricity went out. It came with a set of miniature jumper cables and is supposed to be able to start a car/truck. I intend to carry it on whichever motorcycle I'm riding when I leave home. On two occasions I've needed jump starts on a motorcycle. One was my fault. Wish I would have had the battery pack then.
    JagLite and frog13 like this.
  13. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had one of those things. My mom gave it to me for Christmas a few years ago. It was great! Saved my ass a couple of times when I left the inverter on in my truck and drained the battery. I was really impressed with how quickly it would turn over a V-8 with a completely flat battery! ANd out of a little tiny box about the size of a paperback book ( does anyone even know that that is these days? Haha)

And then, nothing.... It did nothing. Wouldn't take a charge. Luckily I was at home and could jump my truck off of my Jeep. But, if i'd been out of town for work, I'd have been screwed. I threw it out last week while cleaning the garage. When it first failed, I was going to buy another immediately. Then, as I started reading reviews, I found a LOT of people with similar experiences. The idea is awesome. And mine actually worked awesomely... exactly twice. Mine was the Halo brand. Small and portable. Not a bad thing to have. Not exactly cheap. But cool, when it worked. After my experience and reading reviews, I lost faith in it so didn't replace it. A backup plan has to be 100% for me. And my Halo wasn't. Hopefully others will have better long term results...
    JagLite likes this.
  14. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see you push start my TW with all the gear on it in loose powder sand out in the middle of Death Valley. If you can do that I ain't messin with ya......Hahaha :-)
    JagLite, James Adams and Randy like this.
  15. CharlestonADV

Oddometer:
    In that situation...I'd hookup my handy battery pack to the TW. BTW, we have considerable amounts of sand in South Carolina and it's not limited to the beaches.
    JagLite likes this.
  16. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    The only jump starter on the market worth a crap is the "Anti-gravity" micro start xp-10. or any of the ones they sell. When I bought mine the xp-10 was the top of the line. They now have one up on that. If you buy one buy it direct from them , not from amazon or ebay or any where else. There is a chines knock off that looks just like it right down to the letter and is not worth a shit.
    I bought the biggest one because it has to start my 4x4 dodge ram v-8. as well as all my bikes. When I got it on a cold morning and after I charged it I disconnected the battery on my truck and hooked up the xp-10. It turned it over like it wasn't even cold. I shut it off and did this 20 times and when I checked it it still had 3 charge lites on out of five. I have used it several times and it has always worked. It's biggest test came when I was out in the forest back roads 90 miles from home when the alternator quit on my Goldwing sidecar rig and it quit running. Lucky for me I had the micro start with me. I pulled every fuse on the bike except the ignition and starter and the fuel pump fuse, hooked up the micro start and headed for home. I never thought I'd make all 90 miles of it. Well it did and it still had one charge lite left. I was impressed...... It still works just as good today as it did when I bought about 5 years ago or so. If I ever need to buy another one it will be a micro start. It was not cheap, at the time it was 179.00 dollars. There is no cell service up there and until I get about 10 miles from home. How long would it take you to walk 80 miles if no one came along. and then how much would a tow cost you to get it home. At 179 bucks that was a pretty cheap investment for me. It also goes with me on my dirt bikes especially when I'm down in the Mojave desert. I don't want to walk out if even possable. And TW has a kick start. Just saying, we all things differently.

PS, I forgot to mention there was a guy load testing all of these different battery packs and none of them put out what they claimed except the anti gravity one. It put out more then what it claimed.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/micro-starts/
    Red Sand, JagLite, Randy and 3 others like this.
  17. azgsa

azgsa Dude

Oddometer:
    I've had this jump starter since 2017, has worked great. I've used it to jump-start my Tacoma 4x4 many times, and my Africa Twin DCT a few times too. I take it with me on the AT since you can't bump start a DCT. I made an adaptor cable and also use it to power my LED projector for movies on a big screen while out camping in the boonies (output voltage is selectable). Lasts for about one movie on my small projector.

[​IMG]

DSC00268_Snapseed.jpg
    UncleRandy, Bucho, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  18. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I was unaware that Anti Gravity had these available. As I said, the basic idea is great, and I really did like the idea of having one with me. I was just dubious about the reliability of the ones I'd seen. I'll have to look into these further, and maybe pick one up. They are not cheap. The XP-10 is now $199. But, I beleive the XP-1, at $149 would be fine for my needs and that isn't that much more than the Halo that didn't last very long.

Not to replace the kick starter on the TW. The kicker is just too convenient for me in general.... But to keep in my truck, or throw in the saddle bags of my GS when on a trip, yep, would be great to have one that's actually reliable. :thumb
    Cyclepath and JagLite like this.
  19. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    I rode my TW ('95) to the Yamaha shop last weekend, and the mechanic there was first impressed by the colorful paint job, then amazed by the kick starter. He understood why I said I'd rather keep my old one instead of getting one of the new ones. Now he's looking for an older one too!
    frog13, Cyclepath and JagLite like this.
  20. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A jump box is a tool like any other tool, some are excellent, some aren't worth taking home.
    I wish all my bikes came with kick starters as a backup for the magic button but none do.
    The dirt bikes are kick only, the dual sports and street bikes are electric only.
    Cyclepath and CharlestonADV like this.