The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yup Jag.... it's only a tool some are good others not so good. My TW is a 1994 with kick start and the magic button. I have a Kawasaki W650, year 2000 and it has a kick start and a button. My Honda ct90 dual range has only a kick start and point ign. I can fix it almost anywhere. It ain't fast but it will go anywhere and I can pick it up even if it's upside down. hahaha My old 1972 Bultaco Alpina is of course kick start only but it has a capacitor discharge ign.
    Now both of my Goldwings the 1994 sidecar rig and my 2002 gl1800 two wheeler are of course button only. So on the bikes that could cause me problems the anti gravity jump started goes with me.

And Randy, if you are reading this I do think the xp-1 would be all you need based on what you have been saying. I bought the xp-10 because I use for my autos as well and when on the road I charge my computer and cell phones and gps with it. :-)
    JagLite likes this.
  2. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I got my DG V2 exhaust installed this afternoon. Haven't had a chance to really test it while riding yet, but here's a short video clip comparing the sound between the two. It was filmed on my iPhone so don't expect too much. Camera was placed in a tripod positioned 3 feet from exhaust exit and at about a 30 degree angle offset to the right. This is with the stock DG V2 setup although I do have the 1.25" quiet insert coming. But, honestly, with just this simple test, the DG doesn't appear to be too terribly loud as is...

I also installed a new UNI airfilter and a Procycle jet kit using the supplied 34 pilot, supplied needle with two shim washers, and a 130 main. Oddly enough, when I pulled the anti-tamper plug from the fuel screw, I found it already set at 2.5 turns out. I left it as is until I get a chance to start testing and fine tuning the jetting. If all goes well, I hope to get the kick start kit, new clutch plates, and high fender installed tomorrow, as well as check the valve lash.
  3. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:

I have the same pipe (and a Uni filter) on my DR250 and love it. I run the 1" dB reducer (the most corked-up tip they offer). Running the pipe wide open ended up being too loud for me (or maybe I'm just too old?), and the 1.25" dB reducer really didn't make much of a difference to my ear. Either/both tips fit with the spark arrestor installed. Here are some pics comparing the two tips:

IMG_4629.JPG IMG_4630.JPG IMG_4632.JPG
    JagLite and frog13 like this.
  4. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds good Randy.
  5. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    Just curious, how fast will a TW200 go? And now big of rider is too big? Thanks
  6. assquatch20

assquatch20 Hosscat

Oddometer:
    There are some really large fellas on TW's but its max rated load is just under 400lbs I think. As far as speed, 70mph is about it and it feels like you're re-entering the atmosphere a little bit.
  7. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    ^^@assquatch20 Thank you. I'm 6' and over 200#. The older I get, the more I think something like a TW200 in the back of PU Truck is a good way to go.
    JagLite, cateyetech and Padilen like this.
  8. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My TW is a fun bike but nothing I'd want as a primary motorcycle. So far, I've used mine for jaunts to the store and relatively short rides close to home. After getting past the breakin miles, I intend to do some trail riding in the nearby national forest. The terrain there is flat and very sandy and should be quite suitable for the TW. I don't see any reason that a 6', 200# person would be uncomfortable for this kind of use.
    Bucho, JagLite, frog13 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'd heard the stock pipe was too loud and I debated between the 1.25" and 1". Guess, I'm getting old too... I was afraid the 1" would be TOO corked up. I'd read a post somewhere where an owner of that setup for the TW complained that it hardly sounded different than stock. So, I settled on the 1.25" with the thought that if it was still too loud I could weld a plate over the end, drill a few holes, and have a 1/25" version of the factory 1" version.

Still have to actually ride it to see how it sounds in use. But, judging by the little test in the garage, the DG didn't sound all that loud to me. Definitely deeper and throatier sounding. And of course that difference in tone may make a bigger difference in the real world. While an iPhone recording, playing through a computer, via youtube, isn't a great way to know how something sounds, and while to my ear it was different, the comparison video is a good indicator of the difference in volume that my ear detected. And this was shot inside my garage, with all of the reverberation that entails. My Sportster for example, sound MUCH louder in my garage than it does once I pull out onto the driveway.
    JagLite and frog13 like this.
  10. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My TW will do an indicated 70 mph on level ground. But it takes a while to get there, and it's not something I'd want to do beyond just checking. It seems most comfortable tooling around at 45-55 and 60 is easily sustainable when I'm trying to get somewhere. No problem.

I'm a scrawny little thing of 5'7" and ~140#, 55 years old, and have been riding since getting my first bike at age 11. I've had bigger, faster dual sports (still have a KTM 640) that while very competent and fun bikes, are TALL and heavy. As I've gotten older, I don't ride as aggressive as I once did, so I don't need 10-12" of suspension travel and all that power and speed. I wanted the TW because it's small and easy to handle pretty much anywhere. I like being able to get my feet down in a tricky situation, and be able to maneuver the bike easily. I bought it for just simple relaxing rides on the back roads and exploring places that I'd be afraid to try on a big heavy tall bike. It's definitely not fast. But, it is fun as hell in its environment. I won't be making the road trip on the bike as I've done on others over the years, but I soon hope to trailer the TW up to N Georgia for camping. I think it would be awesome up there with all the twisty roads and miles upon miles of gravel roads and Jeep trails.
  11. Orthodoc

Orthodoc Cowboy Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might want to consider using an xt225 tank (after market Clarke)
    Got mine from pro cycle
    Does require some reworking brackets, adjusting the side panels, And it’s tight, but holds 4.1 gallons! 66E38490-1934-4E62-8B1C-F5F4BA3252DE.jpeg
    ReverendRev, Bucho, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  12. rwebell

rwebell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_0316.JPG IMG_0315.JPG IMG_0314.JPG

Canadian Thanksgiving ride with my sons. Beautiful fall foliage and no bugs. What more could a guy ask for
    Bucho, JagLite, Ride Now and 6 others like this.
  13. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    With the stock gearing I have never been able to get my TW any where near 70 mph........ Maybe mine is just slow. lol I think 70 is pushing it ?
    JagLite likes this.
  14. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still breaking mine in. But, I'd be quite surprised if it will be able to hit anything over 60...unless I try the mine shaft speed test.:-)
    JagLite and Cyclepath like this.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had mine to 70 several times with stock gearing. That's as indicated by the stock speedo, so I don't know how accurate that is. Haven't tried since the switch to the 47 tooth rear. Then again, my size doesn't present as large of an amount of wind resistance as someone larger. And pushing the wind is the main thing that limits speeds.
    JagLite and CharlestonADV like this.
  16. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey Randy. You think like I do when it comes to riding the TW.
    Come on out to Death Valley with me in the spring and lets ride. Only problem with that is you might never go back home. hahaha
    I'm going to try and post some pics for ya.

IMG_0452.JPG IMG_0436.JPG IMG_0472.JPG IMG_0475.JPG IMG_0413.JPG IMG_0571.JPG IMG_0648.JPG
    WECSOG, JagLite, Ride Now and 4 others like this.
  17. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    More.

IMG_2563.JPG IMG_2592-2.JPG IMG_2608-2.JPG IMG_2612-2.JPG 20160404_150314.jpg 20160404_165324-1.jpg 20160404_165441.jpg 20160405_114711.jpg 20160405_150605.jpg P_20160404_142628.jpg
    Bucho, potski, MYUMPH and 7 others like this.
  18. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    still more.....

IMG_2875-2.JPG IMG_2876-2.JPG IMG_2878-2.JPG IMG_2881-2.JPG IMG_2886-2.JPG IMG_2959.JPG IMG_2962.JPG IMG_2978.JPG IMG_2988-1.JPG IMG_2991-1.JPG

Ok, enough teasers :-) I have many more......if you want to see desert wild flowers let me know. Now, LETS RIDE.... anyone want to join me ?
    Bucho, potski, MYUMPH and 9 others like this.
  19. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    RE: Speed

I had mine at a GPD speed of 74MPH, speedo was showing around 82ish. It was done coming off the Bighorn Mountains running down an 8.5% grade with the throttle pinned and laying on the tank. When I shut it down to fuel up my tiny tach showed a max RPM of 9,100RPM

I'd say the realistic useable top speed is more around 60MPH with anything more relying on ideal conditions, tail wind, downhill, etc.
    JagLite and CampCowan like this.
  20. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll have to GPS mine next time I take it out, just to see how accurate or inaccurate the speedo is...
    JagLite likes this.