The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll admit that that does look like a great place to ride!

Not on the subject of TWs, but on beautiful places to ride... My cousin has been looking at the RE Himalayan and sent me this video the other day. I was instantly captivated by the views and beauty of the area!

The whole time I was watching it, I kept thinking that I'd rather be on a TW than either of those bikes if riding that area. :thumb

:ricky
    Cyclepath, JagLite and frog13 like this.
  2. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    Randy: while my bike ain't your bike, I think you will find the volume of that pipe will hit very near obnoxious after you're ridden it awhile and the packing shifts/compresses a bit. Keep us posted.

Cyclepath: great pics, thanks for posting them! You've got some beautiful country to ride in.
    Cyclepath, JagLite and CharlestonADV like this.
  3. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice day for a 102 mile ride. Who says, you can't do that on a stock seat. IMG_20191019_150913323.jpg
  4. CampCowan

CampCowan Wabi Sabi

Oddometer:
  5. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'09".....225 lbs. ....no issues. I've read of riders at ~ 300 lbs....no issues. If jetted properly , 60 mph is easily achieved, after that rpm's move up drastically. Your good.
    JagLite likes this.
  6. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    CampCowan likes this.
  7. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cyclepath, if I ever get the chance , I'll head west and ride with ya for sure......notification in advance of course. :)
    Cyclepath likes this.
  8. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cyclepath - I love your pics showing the combination of Tdub and Honda CT. My wife and I ride a similar combination. I ride a XT225 and my wife rides a CT110. Pic below taken earlier today during our ride just outside Flagstaff, AZ.
    IMG_0100.JPG
    Cyclepath, frog13, cateyetech and 4 others like this.
  9. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sad day today... :2cry

Time to put the TW in the shed for the winter :dirtdog

I pulled the battery and added Startron fuel stabilizer then realized I should have run the engine with the stabilizer before pulling the battery. :baldy

So I slid the battery back in place and held the wires to the terminals with my fingers and started it up.
    After running for a while I wondered if it would run without the battery. :hmmmmm
    I let one wire, then the other off the battery and there was no change.

So now I know the TW does NOT need a battery to run... once it is started.
    Will it start without a battery either by pushing or with the kicker?
    I don't think so, I think the electronic ignition needs voltage to fire until the engine is running and providing power.

So, that means it is another possibility for starting a bike with a dead battery, even if no has jumper cables or a small jumper box, if you have another bike with a battery, you could remove the good battery and use it to start the TW, then install the good battery back in the other bike and continue on.
    Of course, if I did that, as soon as the other bike is back together and ready to go I would accidentally kill the TW engine. :becca:devildog

I just thought I would pass that on in case it helps anyone some day.:dunno
    frog13, potski and WYO George like this.
  10. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very possible. I haven't had the can apart yet as I just put it on last night. But, I will look at the packing. Some cans use too little, and too cheap of a packing material. And, sometimes a repack with quality material can make a world of difference in sound. I'll have to check it out. In any event, I have a quiet core coming in the next few day. It won't be the first exhaust I've modified, so I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it with a little tuning... :thumb
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    And, in other news... It was a rainy day in Georgia. What better way to spend a rainy day than working on a bike in the garage?

All of my parts for the kick start retrofit had arrived, so that's how I spent the day...

[​IMG]

Doing this by trying to piece it all together from various bits and pieces from different posts on TW200forum, and online microfiches was kind of a PITA. But, in the end, I figured out how all of the pieces were supposed to fit and got all of the new parts in there....

[​IMG]

And then, my clutch holding tool that I had ordered, and which was "guaranteed" by Amazon to arrive today, didn't. :dirtdog So, I improvised... Yeah, it looks janky...

[​IMG]

But, guess what. It worked! And, I finally got everything together! :super

[​IMG]

Dealing with my ineptitude was even more of a PITA! I think I pulled the clutch three different times due to stupid shit... But in the end, it all came together. I had also installed a Procycle jet kit last night and hadn't even tried to start it since... Once I had the kick start setup installed,I put the tank back on and turned on the gas. Initially it took a little longer to start than normal. Probably because the float bowl was empty... :doh But, then it fired up and idled right away with no choke. I let it run for less than 30 seconds, then killed it. Turned the ignition back on, and tried the kick start. It fired right up on the first kick! :drink Repeated that test a few times to the same result, so I'm guessing that I at least somehow managed to get it together correctly. Hopefully I'll get to ride tomorrow and see how my jetting changes work out.

But, in the meantime, I also decided to install the high fender bracket from Procycle, along with a UFO version 1 supermoto fender. I know this is subjective and debatable, but, I'm happy with the way it turned out. The standard low front fender is ok, but I guess I just prefer the more "dirt bike" look that the higher fender gives the bike...

[​IMG]

About the only thing left, other than fine tuning the jetting, is the tank. I ordered a Clarke natural tank and still waiting for a shipping notification. Yeah, I know... But, so far things have been going my way, so maybe I'll get lucky and get one that actually fits. If not, I have a couple of ideas of how to make it work for my needs. We'll see....

In the meantime... :ricky
    WECSOG, Allucaneat, Bucho and 7 others like this.
  12. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

One kick start from cold (56 degrees) with no choke. :thumb
    WECSOG, Bucho, wallydude440 and 3 others like this.
  13. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    My old TW will work just fine with a dead battery. The turn signals and horn don't work quite right but it starts with the kicker and runs normally. I actually went about a year with a bad battery until I happened to try the turn signals and realized they didn't work.
    JagLite likes this.
  14. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    IIRC, Walter Colebatch did that on one of his rides across Mongolia/Russia.
  15. x32792

x32792 Cracker American

Oddometer:
    @Aguaski That's a Tall Seat Concept on your XT225?
  16. CampCowan

CampCowan Wabi Sabi

Oddometer:
    It’s 4 inches of foam directly on top of the worn out stock cover and pad. The foam is way too soft but it is what I had on hand. It’s an improvement but could still be improved.
  17. potski

potski Wiley Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    Been enjoying seeing others TW photos, so here's a few from me DSCN2108 (2).JPG DSCN2163 (2).JPG DSCN2061[2305843009219282752].jpg from last week in the Pyrenees.

Cheers
    Potski
    WECSOG, Bucho, Ride Now and 8 others like this.
  18. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish it was tall. I asked about a tall option when I ordered my seat and was told that only a standard option is available.
    x32792 likes this.
  19. twodogs257

twodogs257 2008 KLR650 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Potski, those are some awesome pictures. I'm digging the mods on the TW. My son has a 2004 and I'd love to know specifics on the following: rear rack, mirrors and windshield. We're going to England, France, Spain, and Italy next summer....hopefully I can find a train that goes through there between Paris and Barcelona.
    potski likes this.
  20. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Randy......way to think out of the box for the clutch basket .
    If i've asked this before , apologies in advance. But , what tail bag is that ?.