The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Mi0

Mi0 Recovering from surgery

Oddometer:
    Never got the impression that they were mods. Just hope the lot of them aren't poosays.
    mentolio, frog13 and nihil like this.
  2. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    Yes. The CDI has its own ~200 volt ac power source, straight from the stator. It is completely separate and independent from the battery and all that the battery powers. The ignition only requires 6 wires: two from the ac power source and one each for trigger, coil, ground, and the kill line which also goes to ground. All of the safety switches are just a convoluted path to ground to prevent it firing if certain conditions are not met.
    You could actually rip out the battery, lights, starter, all other accessories and the entire wiring harness except for those six wires and it would still start (with the kick starter) and run just fine.
    JagLite, frog13 and simbaboy like this.
  3. Hacer2

Hacer2 n00b

Oddometer:
    With Snow on the forecast and a TW200 to keep me warm i am looking to stud my Not so Good Ol' Trailwings problem is i only have 5mm of knob in the front and 8mm in the rear. Sadly most studs i can find on Amazon seem to start at 9mm, anyone know the thickness of the tire to see if i can accommodate the 9mm screws? Thanks
  4. ChuckUFarlie

ChuckUFarlie Send lawyers, guns, and money. The SHTF.

Oddometer:
    I went and looked at a nearly new 2018 TW200 today, and test rode it, but didn't make an offer.

A few things seemed off about this one:
    • The bike is stored outside but well tarped. Everything looks as new except for the drive axle -- the portion I could see just in front of the swing arm but behind the front sprocket looked rusty. I didn't like that much, but I've also never had a bike with an exposed drive axle like that.
    • I think the clutch was setup poorly. The cable was adjusted as short as possible at the lever, but the clutch only released when the lever was almost all the way out. I didn't like that at all, I like the clutch to release about an inch or 1.5" from the bar. Are they all like that or was this one not adjusted right?
    • This one did not cold start smoothly -- took a long time to warm up, and the throttle wasn't very responsive. I felt I really needed to wring the throttle to get any reaction from the engine. It likely needs to be jetted, and I'm also not sure if the throttle is not adjusted properly either.
    • Finally, I found the very short first gear hard to get used to. I imagine its because I never rode a TW before, but damn, I was barely moving and I felt I needed to find 2nd. I suppose that would be a bonus off road, but I could only test it on road.
    Overall, and I don't mean to offend anyone here, and I know this is a very low priced bike, but I did not get the impression of high quality with this bike. Little things, as listed above, but also the short-link chain that looks like a wide bicycle chain, the bolt on rear sprocket with bended plate to secure the bolts, the 1/8" thin skid plate... honestly, I got the impression that this was a Chinese built bike, if you know what I mean, at least when I compare it to the DRZ I had or even the Yamaha Kodiak ATV I have.

I think I will have to look at an older model previously enjoyed TW200s and see if the one I saw just was set up all wrong -- or has the quality really dropped off on new bikes in order to keep the price point low?
    JagLite likes this.
  5. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Living in Georgia I have NO experience with things like ice studs... Thank god! Brrrr.... but looking at a few on Amazon just now, it appears that the overall length is 9mm with about half of that being the threaded portion that screws into the tire. Is this correct? With only 5mm of knob height, you may or may not be ok but might be pushing it. I have no idea of the carcass thickness below the knobs, but if it were me, I'd be tempted to spend a few $ and get a Shinko 241 or 244 for the front. Knobs are much taller, and they're also a much better tire overall when running without studs next spring....
    JagLite likes this.
  6. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    T-dubs have been low price point bikes since their inception so yeah they are cheaply made with flimsy sheet metal skid plates, suspension pivots without bearings, shit suspension and cost cutting components everywhere you look. If you're expecting more then you are looking at the wrong bike. They still work though and work just fine. It's a lightweight, very low powered bike so it doesn't need a heavy chain, safety wired components or high end doo-dads.

Carburetor may have a partially plugged pilot jet, usually they do pretty good cold although they still need to warm up a tad. With horsepower barely pushing double digits the throttle response may have been fine and just less than you're used to, it's certainly not in the same realm as your DRZ. Clutch can be adjusted to suit, carb can be dialed in to run great, but it'll still be an under-stressed 200 that likes to loaf along slowly and with such meager power the low first gear is kinda handy off road. On the street you can easily start out in 2nd if you so choose, I often do when I ride my wife's TW200.

One thing I would avoid is equating "low budget components" as being "low quality". The TW is built cheaply, but is a quality bike as compared to other bikes in the same price point. Definitely better than your "average" China bike. I say this as a bike mechanic that maintains a large fleet of small bikes for our state training program.
    Ride Now, JagLite and molochnik like this.
  7. molochnik

molochnik Anhedonic Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I had this supermoto fender sitting around for a chick I sponsored but she preferred MX.
    Made an aluminum bracket that may or may not survive but all I have is 063 and 1/4” angle.
    Cleaned out the forks which appeared to have ATF in them from the factory, by color and smell test. I guess it’s close enough to 10 wt per the book.
    The emulators came with no instructions; I was directed to go online because RT wants to be “green”. There’s no info for a Tdub as far as I could tell...so I just used a generic tech document they offer.
    I opened up the existing compression bleeds to 6mm and added two more.
    Everything else was pretty straightforward but CRIPES are the Moose seal tough to install and this ain’t my first rodeo. I had to modify an existing seal driver and recommend buying one to anyone else swapping seals.
    .70 springs and Maxima 10wt finished things off.
    No time or motivation for a test ride

Attached Files:

Randy, JagLite and frog13 like this.
  8. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll have to expand the quote above to read my replies...
    JagLite likes this.
  9. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^^^.......generally, what Randy said.
    TW200 does have a short throw on the clutch lever......normal. TW200 is an extremely durable / reliable off trail machine......you'll go places most can't !.
    Rust......as Randy said.....could be chain lube fling off or grease ooozed out of a grease zerk ?. 1st gear....unbelievably useful off trail.....just shift sooner. As stated previously, the carb either needs rejetted or simply cleaned.....both are easily done! .
    Ride on.
    Randy and JagLite like this.
  10. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same basic answers, and to mention installing a one tooth larger cs sprocket is a common mod, about the same as going down three teeth on the rear sprocket.
    Makes it a little more bearable on the higher speed roads and still works well on trails. Mine came with the one tooth larger amd I will eventually replace it with the stock size since I have no desire in riding the pokey TW fast. 45 mph is as fast as I enjoy riding mine. Yes it will go faster, but I won't.

The TW is excellent at what it was designed to do, go anywhere slowly.
    If you want a faster, more powerful bike the TW is NOT the bike to buy.

My clutch engages about 3/4 of full out, always has, doesn't bother me at all.
    My Drifter 1500 is the same way and it has a hydraulic clutch and every new owner asks if that is normal, yep.

They are great FUN bikes, not fast, not impressive, not expensive to buy or maintain, they are "ride slow and enjoy the scenery' bikes. :ricky
    WECSOG, frog13 and molochnik like this.
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get it. And agree with 95% of what you said. Although, I think it depends on individual needs and expectations to a degree.... Primarily, due to my local area, I tend to ride mine on the road more than some, I guess. With the 47 tooth rear sprocket, mine seems fine with 55-60 mph speeds. With that said, 45 mph is a really sweet spot for the bike, it seems. And, it excels on gravel roads in this speed range. :thumb But, in between gravel sections, it seems just fine at the higher 55-60 mph speeds I desire, and 65 is doable when necessary.... I just ride it, and the bike seems capable enough. I'd love 10 more hp, but it is what it is... and as such, it gets the job done for me. :ricky
    Bucho, molochnik and JagLite like this.
  12. molochnik

molochnik Anhedonic Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    It is a shame that Yamaha never offered this bike as a 350....a detuned 350; I imagine they would have sold just as many. They would have sold one to me for sure.
    Contemplating the bike in front of me right now, the one change that seems necessary for a stronger engine would be to tie the frame under the engine . A robust skid plate from the front down tube to the lower rear cross member would do the trick.
    In terms of suspension, my 81 XS650 had plastic swing arm bushings. They weren’t optimal, to be sure, but I didn’t see the beloved XS as a downmarket bike. Nowadays we have pretty good plastics available; I’d rather maintain that than the expensive roller bearings.
    The engine size/limited top speed is what held me back for decades. I’ve gotten this one for my wife since she loved the characteristics of her TTR 125, but also wanted a dual sport.
    I’m puzzled as to why these engines don’t seem to respond well to simple enhancement.
    I can only imagine it must be porting.
    As everyone has said, one must be sure of what their boxes are and whether the bike will check them.
    JagLite likes this.
  13. mikeped

mikeped n00b

Oddometer:
    Finally. I have read all of this thread from start to finish.

I bought a 2015 TW200 in March of 2018. About 600 days ago. But as I work week in, week out at a remote site I'm only home half of the time. Throw in a couple of longish overseas vacations and I calculated I have had about 200 days of riding available to me since I bought it. How'd I do? About 3,000kms in that time period. Considering I live on the wettish BC coast, trapped by ferries, and generally ride on nicer days above 8C, without any long trips, I think I did OK.

The TW is the perfect bike for where I live.

Minimalist Touring thread? Check!
    TW200 thread? Check!
    Super Sherpa thread (I have one of those too)? Only half way. :(
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  14. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    I know the hazards of buying a machine with no title but this is still tempting. We have a steep hill in back down to a conservation area that will never be developed. I could probably be happy plonking around there and not go on real roads but would want that capability sooner or later.

https://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/d/glen-allen-yamaha-tw200/7012183779.html

Yamaha tw200 - $1300 (Glen allen)
    [​IMG]

1989 Yamaha

fuel: gas
    odometer: 6300
    transmission: manual

1989 “Black Widow” - No title

Everything works.
    Two new turn signals, new rear brakes, new horn, refurbed Yamaha carb, fresh oil change, a few other new parts that I can’t seem to remember right now....
    Starts, runs and rides great.

8o4. 467- five eight four five
    JagLite and WECSOG like this.
  15. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    My opinion only, but that's a lot of money for a thirty year old bike with no title. I wouldn't think twice about passing on that one.
    turbodieseli4i6 and Bucho like this.
  16. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    One word: Vermont.

Ok, I'll expound on that just a bit. You can run the VIN online to make sure it has never been reported stolen. Then just register it in Vermont. Not only do they not require a title for anything over 15 years old; they also don't require a title for anything under 300cc. So even a 2020 TW would qualify. And the tag they send you is legal in all 50.
    There's an entire huge thread (of mostly people asking the same questions over and over again because they're too lazy to read it for themselves) about the Vermont option, so check it out if you want to know more: https://advrider.com/f/threads/how-to-get-proof-of-ownership-for-a-bike-w-no-title.655441/
    frog13, JagLite and molochnik like this.
  17. mentolio

mentolio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my home state (NJ) walking away would be a no-brainer, but I suppose not every state is as difficult to get a title as mine (read:impossible). Went with a buddy a few years ago to check out a (then) 7 year old DRZ400 for $1000. Looked ok, if a little neglected. As soon as dude said "I don't have a title" we bounced. "No title" basically means stolen or otherwise "unable to get a title, ever" around these parts.
    turbodieseli4i6 and JagLite like this.
  18. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    I'm not seriously tempted, but thanks for the input. I already knew about Vermont, having read most of the associated threads on title wisdom. I'd like to have a TW but am still not ready to buy yet; too many other projects interfering with motorcycle fun even if said motorcycle is not itself a project.
    JagLite likes this.
  19. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Up here that would be a steal of a price, after a VIN check for stolen bike that is. :clap

It is old, but they really haven't changed much over the years.
    I have a search for local TW's on CL always running to let me know when one gets listed just in case one comes up at a great price.

I have one TW, why would I want another one? 'Cause they are fun bikes and just about anyone can ride them so they are great "buddy" bikes.
    Unlike my "buddy" bike DR650 that is too tall, too heavy, and just too MUCH for some of my friends.
    I let them ride my TW and I ride one of my other big bikes, and at times wish I was on the little TW.
    Especially when picking up the heavy bigger bike when I tip over.
    (I don't crash, I tip over. That worries my wife less when I tell her)

This is currently on CL here:

Yamaha TW200 scrambler for sale! - $3500

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2006 Yamaha tw200

condition: excellent
    engine displacement (CC): 200
    fuel: gas
    odometer: 1055
    title status: clean
    transmission: manual

Hello! I have a Yamaha tw200 scrambler build for sale! It only has 1,000 miles on it and has been kept in great condition! It runs and rides great! Amazing off-road and a nice on road bike as well if you want to do that. It’s road legal and has the title! It also has various upgrades to the bike
    Including:
    Custom scrambler gas tank (hold more fuel than stock)
    Flat black seat
    Rear fender delete
    Led rear break lights with integrated turn signals
    Added rear tire fender
    Bar end mirrors
    Dg exaught
    Wrapped exaughst pipe
    Round headlight with mesh cover
    Custom side covers
    Saddlebags
    Front short fender
    Custom front turn signals
    Contact me if interested!! Will consider all offers cash only please!
  20. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like the seat.