The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have the new style cv carb. On 2000 and prior it is the float bowl vents that get routed with a T. Previous descriptions were accurate.
  2. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought another TW today!

upload_2019-11-9_20-46-3.png

I have a watch on CL for TW's in Arizona where my brother moved to this past summer when he retired.
    He likes riding my TW more than my other bikes so I talked with him about getting a couple TW's down there and I can visit him in the winter so we can go exploring.
    I saw this one on CL and he contacted the owner and made arrangements to check it out today.

He called to tell me that I bought it and that it is like new.
    2007 completely stock with very low miles.
    $2,300.

Unfortunately I don't know when I can go down to AZ or even if I will be able to before it gets too hot...

He will ride it for me in the meantime...
  3. molochnik

molochnik Anhedonic Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Congrats my friend! I’ve been recommending one to young guy for his first bike.
    I wish I hadn’t waited so long myself
    JagLite and frog13 like this.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I never heard of an issue with the vent on manual slide carbs.
    I have had many bikes and do not think I ever had an issue with that, 2 and 4 stokes.
    I had an old XT200 a few years ago that I flooded out a number of times and only had problems when the carb was well under water!

JagLite likes this.
  5. offroadtoys

Oddometer:
    I’ve never actually had an issue either. I just figured while I was I there rejetting and replacing lines anyway it was a good time. I don’t spend a lot of time in the water anyway but I liked the idea of raising the vent point a little higher.
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  6. offroadtoys

Oddometer:
    I don’t think any of these mods are absolutely required. The bike can be plenty enjoyed completely stock. BUT, like anyone else, I enjoy tinkering anyway
    JagLite likes this.
  7. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is very hard for me to NOT modify my bikes.
    I have never had a bike I didn't personalize to work better for me and usually I do all kinds of things.
    Necessary? Nope, just to make it a little better in one way or another.
    I'm already planning a Seat Concepts new seat, a jet kit from ProCycle, bar risers, and a Shinko 244 front tire.
    For a bike I won't get to ride for months.

When I rent a bike I think while riding it of what changes I would do if it was mine....
    WECSOG, frog13, Cyclepath and 2 others like this.
  8. Aguaski

Aguaski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This. Sometimes I wish I could mod less and enjoy stock more, but that has proven futile.
    Cyclepath, offroadtoys and JagLite like this.
  9. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Well, I do not want the bike to run like crap (or not run at all) if I go through some water.

I got 50 miles in today, was glorious, 50F and dry.
    [​IMG]

I followed this old firebreak for quite a while, going around down trees:
    [​IMG]

There was a large area just before this that was quite open and I had fun chasing deer across the forest floor.
    They won as they can jump over downed trees and I have to go around.
    A very nice 50 miles.
    about 6 horseback riders, a few groups of 4 wheel drive vehicles and quite a few hikers with dogs on the main roads.

No deep water this ride...
    Bucho, WECSOG, cateyetech and 6 others like this.
  10. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    Thanks for this clarification. My TW is a 2017, so I’ll adjust to this photo and description.
  11. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    I never met a TW I did not like!

JagLite likes this.
  12. RoadVirus

RoadVirus n00b

Oddometer:
    I never intended to become an owner of a TW but when a screaming deal falls in my lap I grab it. A 2017 with 1700 miles became available for $1500.00 through a friends business . I was once an MSF instructor and one of these was in our stable of student bikes. We would assign it to the tallest rider in class due to the rebel 250s and eliminator 125s being a poor choice for a rider over 6ft. I enjoyed using the TW for demos - always fun to make the big back tire bark under hard braking.

Now that I own one I am finding where it fits in my stable. A friend and I plan to ride the eastern half of the TAT next year and I feel my re-tired CB500x to be a good choice for the trip east. My plans were to pick up a DRZ400 when I get the chance for the western half. Enter the Yamaha farm bike.
    Took off yesterday before the cold weather hit and rode to the nearby ATV park. First time off road on a TW thoughts:
    -Did Yamaha test ride this before selecting the front tire? I understand and agree with the “Deathwing” moniker and ordered a Shinko 241 first.
    -Suspension seems fine for what the intended use of the bike is. If I want to get air I’ll ride my CR250.
    -Brakes work well.
    -Seat sucks , will be exploring options.
    -Handle bars are a good width but way too low for me. Pro tappers and risers will be a future add. Anybody have a favorite bar they have used?
    -Gearing was good for off road and bike settles in nicely around 55mph on the pavement.
    -Engine starts and runs fine.(apron 1000ft above sea level) Plenty of power for what it is. If I want to go faster I’ve other bikes for that.
    This bike hits the bullseye for what it is and is a fun trail bike / low speed transport. Since I’m into difficult and stupid undertakings , I am seriously considering the TW for the western half of the TAT. Thoughts are to carry some smaller jets and install if needed and to change the rear sprocket in Oregon for the trip back to the Plains via two lane pavement. I won’t do the trip until retired so time is not a concern. Thought? Opinions? Any of you ever done this? Thanks tw200 odo.jpg
    Ride Now, Snapper33 and JagLite like this.
  13. nihil

nihil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Score! I'd have bought two of them at that price.

I'm liking the Renthal Fatbar CR-High bend on Rox 7/8"->1-1/8" adapter+risers. I'm only 5'14" though. If you want to compare a few to stock, I wrote a handlebar simulator and have several of the likely aftermarket candidates modeled for comparison:

https://tw200.org/barsim/

If your buddy has any more at that price, let me know.
    RoadVirus, Snapper33 and JagLite like this.
  14. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2nd dibs. I haven't gotten my first TW yet.
    frog13 likes this.
  15. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    So, fess up: how many of you guys name your TW? :ear
    Mine is named Pygmy Pony. If I ever get another one I'll probably name it Eeyore.
    frog13 likes this.
  16. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    Ours is named “Sweetie”, but in fairness to my manhood; it’s my wife’s bike and she named it
    frog13 and WECSOG like this.
  17. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Here is what I did and found useful on my new 2019 TW:
    Better front tire, pick for terrain you plan to ride,
    Taller handlebars, Renthal cr high bend just because,
    Seat concepts seat kit, much better although the stock seat is better then most dual sports,
    Fork kit from Pro cycle, much less harsh of a ride, springs and emulators,
    Clarke tank, one gallon more, a must have,
    O ring chain and a 2 teeth less rear sprocket, the stock non O ring chain is just dumb,
    Pro cycle carb jet kit, bike runs fantastic with it at all temps, rpm's and throttle openings.

I drilled a hole in the silencer to allow a little less back pressure, and did the carb vent mod to prevent problems in water crossings.

For what I do, I would have no other bike unless they bring back the big wheel 350.
    Sand, swamp, mud, its all fun on the TW.
    If you want to get there, and get back, the TW is a good choice.
    If you want to do it really fast, get a KTM.

JagLite, Ride Now and RoadVirus like this.
  18. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you a dental floss tycoon?
    WECSOG likes this.
  19. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Mental toss flycoon, most likely.
    WECSOG and JagLite like this.
  20. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard