The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    I never met a TW I did not like!

JagLite likes this.
  2. RoadVirus

RoadVirus n00b

Oddometer:
    I never intended to become an owner of a TW but when a screaming deal falls in my lap I grab it. A 2017 with 1700 miles became available for $1500.00 through a friends business . I was once an MSF instructor and one of these was in our stable of student bikes. We would assign it to the tallest rider in class due to the rebel 250s and eliminator 125s being a poor choice for a rider over 6ft. I enjoyed using the TW for demos - always fun to make the big back tire bark under hard braking.

Now that I own one I am finding where it fits in my stable. A friend and I plan to ride the eastern half of the TAT next year and I feel my re-tired CB500x to be a good choice for the trip east. My plans were to pick up a DRZ400 when I get the chance for the western half. Enter the Yamaha farm bike.
    Took off yesterday before the cold weather hit and rode to the nearby ATV park. First time off road on a TW thoughts:
    -Did Yamaha test ride this before selecting the front tire? I understand and agree with the “Deathwing” moniker and ordered a Shinko 241 first.
    -Suspension seems fine for what the intended use of the bike is. If I want to get air I’ll ride my CR250.
    -Brakes work well.
    -Seat sucks , will be exploring options.
    -Handle bars are a good width but way too low for me. Pro tappers and risers will be a future add. Anybody have a favorite bar they have used?
    -Gearing was good for off road and bike settles in nicely around 55mph on the pavement.
    -Engine starts and runs fine.(apron 1000ft above sea level) Plenty of power for what it is. If I want to go faster I’ve other bikes for that.
    This bike hits the bullseye for what it is and is a fun trail bike / low speed transport. Since I’m into difficult and stupid undertakings , I am seriously considering the TW for the western half of the TAT. Thoughts are to carry some smaller jets and install if needed and to change the rear sprocket in Oregon for the trip back to the Plains via two lane pavement. I won’t do the trip until retired so time is not a concern. Thought? Opinions? Any of you ever done this? Thanks tw200 odo.jpg
    Ride Now, Snapper33 and JagLite like this.
  3. nihil

nihil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Score! I'd have bought two of them at that price.

I'm liking the Renthal Fatbar CR-High bend on Rox 7/8"->1-1/8" adapter+risers. I'm only 5'14" though. If you want to compare a few to stock, I wrote a handlebar simulator and have several of the likely aftermarket candidates modeled for comparison:

https://tw200.org/barsim/

If your buddy has any more at that price, let me know.
    RoadVirus, Snapper33 and JagLite like this.
  4. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    2nd dibs. I haven't gotten my first TW yet.
    frog13 likes this.
  5. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    So, fess up: how many of you guys name your TW? :ear
    Mine is named Pygmy Pony. If I ever get another one I'll probably name it Eeyore.
    frog13 likes this.
  6. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    Ours is named “Sweetie”, but in fairness to my manhood; it’s my wife’s bike and she named it
    frog13 and WECSOG like this.
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Here is what I did and found useful on my new 2019 TW:
    Better front tire, pick for terrain you plan to ride,
    Taller handlebars, Renthal cr high bend just because,
    Seat concepts seat kit, much better although the stock seat is better then most dual sports,
    Fork kit from Pro cycle, much less harsh of a ride, springs and emulators,
    Clarke tank, one gallon more, a must have,
    O ring chain and a 2 teeth less rear sprocket, the stock non O ring chain is just dumb,
    Pro cycle carb jet kit, bike runs fantastic with it at all temps, rpm's and throttle openings.

I drilled a hole in the silencer to allow a little less back pressure, and did the carb vent mod to prevent problems in water crossings.

For what I do, I would have no other bike unless they bring back the big wheel 350.
    Sand, swamp, mud, its all fun on the TW.
    If you want to get there, and get back, the TW is a good choice.
    If you want to do it really fast, get a KTM.

JagLite, Ride Now and RoadVirus like this.
  8. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you a dental floss tycoon?
    WECSOG likes this.
  9. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Mental toss flycoon, most likely.
    WECSOG and JagLite like this.
  10. Ride Now

Ride Now Graybeard

Oddometer:
    He'd hafta be from Montana. :lol3
    WECSOG likes this.
  11. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd Rejet the TW so it can run cooler , if needed RoadVirus. TW does quite well off trail
    RoadVirus and JagLite like this.
  12. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've never named a car or bike either but some friends do.
    I named our RV because it was easier to say "Scamper" than "The Motorhome".

My brother sent me another picture of the TW I bought down in Arizona.

[​IMG]

It came with a cover so I don't even have to send him one of mine.
    Clean machine!
    Ride Now, frog13 and ryder1 like this.
  13. Johnny Phoenix

Johnny Phoenix Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't necessarily name my vehicles; more like labels. My primary TW (TransWorld) is "The Police Bike" due to its black and white color scheme. I've literally had people pulling out their trail passes to show me as I've rode up. I haven't labelled the secondary TW (standard TrailWay) and it's mostly stock and I don't ride that one all that much. My Subaru is "The Adventure Car", back-up Subaru is "The Honey Badger" because no matter what you throw at it, it doesn't give a sh!t! The closest to a name is the Dodge truck with the rugby flatbed, and hence "Rugby". Now when there's a problem with any of the vehicles, they all get called "bitch".
    JagLite, frog13 and WECSOG like this.
  14. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Not yet, but ya never know! :lol2
    I was wondering how long it would take for someone to catch the Zappa reference.
    frog13 likes this.
  15. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    That too, probably!
    frog13 likes this.
  16. molochnik

molochnik Anhedonic Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    In my solo TAT thread I think I mentioned wondering what other bike I would possibly use for the western half...while laying on the ground next to my DR, also laying on the ground.
    A Tdub (even though I had not yet ridden one) was the only bike I could really light on. The 650 engine only came in handy for burning down freeways. Considering the routing of the TAT, especially out west, you could choose many, many worse bikes.
    Below Brett's post I'll list my mods and opinions on them.

Mrs. Molochnik and I spent a couple hours out in our super secret testing area of the western Mojave.
    I can say unequivocally that the money and time I spent on the changes to the bike were well worth it...for us.

RT cartridge emulators and .70 springs from Procycle completely transformed the front end from a clacking/bottoming thing I had to tolerate, to a set of forks I never thought about on the short test ride I did. Well worth the money if you're any heavier than 180 or an aggressive rider. I'm 5'10" and around 220 with gear on.
    The 19kg rear spring also made it feel like a proper dirt bike even if the shock valving is a bit light on rebound. However, there isn't much to be done about that without a swap.
    A had a set of high mini bars that have no rise built into the top bar. You can see this in the pics attached. I have no idea what the bars were for anymore but they are better than stock.
    The DG V2 pipe went on with no fuss and the bike runs fine with no jetting issues at all. The carb is an eBay carb the prior owner put on since she left the gas on for a number of years. I have no idea what the eBay carb is actually jetted for but I do intend to revive the stock carb as soon as I feel like it.
    I bought a set of IMS Super Stock pegs for a 2002 YZ250 to graft onto my XS650 frame. With some whittling, I got them to fit the Tdub instead. Yuuuge difference in how the bike feels under you.
    Went with 15/49 gearing and a new x-ring 428 chain. The higher gearing is not troublesome for myself or my wife. It just feels like a regular bike now but with a lowish first gear - not the granny gear it had.
    The stock air filter was growing onto the backfire screen so I had scrub that clean before putting in a new UNI filter. Nothing remarkable except no need to re-jet (I suspect there's a lot of latitude on a detuned 200).
    The front UFO supermoto fender I installed high for looks. The squared off shape suits the dated '80s aesthetic of the bike.
    the Procycle fender eliminator kit obviates the goofy mudflap and replaces the brick of a taillight. My only quibble is that the brake light flashes when the bike hits a bump. I'll need to investigate that, but switch adjustment doesn't cure it.
    The Acerbis handguards finish off the look and provide the expected protection I got from the set on my DR; and they have been tested thoroughly.
    In regard to the top post I quoted, in this configuration (with the new Clarke tank installed) I wouldn't think twice about taking this on a TAT ride. My expectation would be that I could make better time with less exhaustion and injuries presuming the bike will be more suited for the "billy goat" stuff, be easier to pick up, if necessary, and just be a mellower ride.
    The times I had to hammer down interstates were to make up time I wasted on the trail - recovering from getting beat up, recovering from a hangover, recovering from a crash and then recovering from getting the bike back up. If one stays on the trail, you won't really need to do more than 55 even if ours does 70 with throttle left, and that was before the pipe and UNI filter.

Attached Files:

JagLite, Bucho, RoadVirus and 2 others like this.
  17. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Yes, the TW is an EASY bike to ride off road.
    The only thing you have to worry about on REALLY rough trails is ground clearance.
    JagLite and molochnik like this.
  18. RoadVirus

RoadVirus n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies Brett & Molo. The more I research and think it out the TW seems like a suitable TAT ride after a few mods. My Shinko showed up today and might get wrestled into place this weekend. Bars and pegs are on there way also.
    JagLite and molochnik like this.
  19. Snapper33

Snapper33 Globetrotter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Worldwide, home based in the United States
    RoadVirus, the TW will be a great TAT ride. Two New Zealander’s just did it on Groms. (Search You’Tube for “KiwiGrom“) I’m about to ride the BDRs on my TW, I have no doubt it’ll be great. Keep us in the know. Ride well. Be well.
    frog13, JagLite and cateyetech like this.
  20. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a set for the TW I bought Saturday.
    Thanks!