The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Knute Dunrvnyet

Knute Dunrvnyet Padawan

Oddometer:
    They are for sale, somewhere, in Unobtainium Land... I'd love a set, simply because of our family's DT background; but, ultimately, on our gravel/dirt roads around here; there's no point.
  2. Mi0

Mi0 Rock or something

Oddometer:
    You should have seen him working the tire spoons, he said it was ruff. He works cheap though--all he wants is treats.
    MYUMPH, frog13, WECSOG and 5 others like this.
  3. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    frog13 likes this.
  4. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    :jack :lol2
    frog13 likes this.
  5. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    MiO......nice sense of humor.....always appreciated. :)
    WECSOG and JagLite like this.
  6. heirhead

heirhead worlds worst mechanic

Oddometer:
    57FF7B5B-5B2B-499A-8DE8-2BA46E3A784F.jpeg
    Have used 3 xt225 Clarke tanks on my T-Dubs an 4 on my xt225s.
    Am a good customer.
    Trim the seat, trim the side panel,(right), move the pucks up and back, cut rear mounting bolt off, move it back just a little and fill tank and go. 4.1 ga!
    Pic with 4.1 Clarke and Cyclerack with bike rack and bike.
    NO, it did NOT handle well.

hh
    wwm
  7. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    FB Marketplace shows several in Pennsylvania. Get a move on.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...rch/?query=tw200&vertical=C2C&sort=BEST_MATCH

*edit*

I've heard the FB search can be wonky and it seems that the link above proves it. Try for yourself. There had to be a dozen of them. Good luck!
    frog13 likes this.
  8. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A little wonky is an understatement.

When I click on a bike I get a blank screen on the phone.
  9. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi heirhead. I'm looking at the 4.1 gallon tank on your TW and it looks like the lowest part of the tank up toward the front is quite a bit lower then the entrance to the pet cock. If so there would be a lot of fuel that you can't use. Seems to me that the pet cock should be installed at the lowest part of the tank. Or am I just not seeing it right in the pic ?
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  10. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is the 4.1 on an XT225 (from ProCycle website)

[​IMG]

Looking at the fuel lever through the tank I see you are correct.
    Just need to wheelie to the next gas stop. :ricky

The right side has a step in the bottom that would trap some fuel behind it.
    If there is a step on the left side also, the rider could rock the bike with the front brake locked to slosh fuel from the lower front back to the rear pocket area.
    I haven't see the tank in person so I don't know if that is the case but the potential is there.

Edit:
    Yes, the left side has the same shape:

[​IMG]
    Cyclepath, Ride Now and frog13 like this.
  11. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi Jag , thank you for posting that pic of the tank on a xt225. If you go back to that pic of the tw200 it looks like the front of the tank is much lower then on the xt225. So maybe it is just the way the tank got mounted on the TW. Also in that lower part of the 4.1 gallon tank how do you get the fuel from the right side to the left side without doing a wheelie like you said, hahaha
    It may be just the angle of the picture we are looking at but it appears to me that there would be quite a bit of fuel not being used? Back in the good old days, he he, there used to be a fuel crossover tube located at the lowest part of the fuel tank which was usually back near the petcock so you would draw fuel from both sides of the tank. I guess the manufacturers today are just not as smart as they used to be. Hahaha
    I wonder if the stock xt225 tank is built the same way as the plastic one? It would be pretty easy 2 modify the metal tank for a crossover tube with a quick disconnect line 4 easy tank removal without slobbering gas all over the place. I need to do some searches for the metal tank to see what it looks like. If I had a 4.1 gallon fuel tank I would not have to carry my rotopac. Maybe just a couple of small fuel canisters just in case.
    JagLite likes this.
  12. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I haven't noticed a tank with a cross over in many, many years... :scratch
    When I run really low on fuel I stop and lean my bike way over to the left to get the gas on the right side to flow to to the left side.
    No wheelie required! :ricky
    Not ideal but it does remind you that you need to get fuel soon. :yikes
    I would think there is probably a thread or three on the TW forum about installing different tanks on the TW.
    What is required to modify and how each works.

I still have the stock tank on mine but if I was going to be traveling farther I would go with the 4.1 gallon.
    WECSOG likes this.
  13. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm prolly dating my self talking about such things as cross over lines :-) Like I had on my 1963 Triumph Bonneville and others......yikes..... that was a long time ago :gerg hahaha
    I have the Clarke tank on mine and it wasn't enough fuel on a 187 mile loop ride in Death Valley. Had to use my rotopack. So I have been just snooping around for an xt225 4.1 gallon metal tank. I would add a crossover line or maybe a second petcock on the other side of the tank.
    You know..... all of the different Triumphs I owned through the years had two petcocks and a crossover line. Today I guess that would raise the price of the bike another dollar.hahaha :deal
    JagLite likes this.
  14. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The OEM XT225 tank is metal with a capacity of 2.3 gallons. Clarke makes an aftermarket plastic tank with a capacity of 4.1 gallons. I’m not aware of 4.1 gallon metal tank that is used on the XT225. If a metal tank is your requirement then your max capacity will be 2.3 gallons. If 4.1 gallons is your requirement then you’re likely going to have to settle for a plastic tank.
  15. JagLite

Oddometer:
    I "think" I read a thread over on the TW forum where some have used the stock metal tank from some bike or other that was around 4 gallons...
    If you can weld or know somebody, any big stock steel tank could be modified to fit.
    I have a slightly dented stock BMW GS tank that I laugh at putting on the TW some day.
    It is humongous!
  16. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    XT350 tank is steel and quite a bit bigger than the TW tank. Don't remember how much though.
    JagLite likes this.
  17. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    I have a steel XT tank, either a 500 or 600. Late '80s. I don't remember any more than that for certain, but I bought it to put on my TW. I might actually get around to it one of these days.
    I'm thinking it's an '87 XT600 tank. The Internet says the XT500 tank is only 2.3 gallons, and I'm quite sure it's bigger than that. But the Internet also says the XT600 had a 30 liter tank, or about 8 gallons. I don't think it's that big.
    JagLite and frog13 like this.
  18. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Here it is:
    XT600Tank.jpg
    No way is that 8 gallons. More like 3, maybe 3-1/2.
    frog13 likes this.
  19. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Edited post above.
  20. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    frog13 likes this.