The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Good boots are important. Its nice to have several pair to choose from. I have a pair of Sidi crossfires for full on offroad riding. Great boots, good protection but aren't great for walking around in. Expensive but I've had them since 2011 and still regularly wear them.
    I also have a pair of Aerostich CombatTouring boots (which are also Sidi). They are nice boots that still offer some decent protection but are a bit more comfy/lighter weight. These tend to be my road/light dualsporting boots.

I also sometimes just wear a decent pair of hunting/work type boots. If I'm going to be doing more trailwork than actual riding.
  2. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got a set of mx boots. There a cheap version. There kinda tore up. The tdub does lend itself to just work boots. I'd never ride with just work boots on the klx I had
  3. mysticbus

mysticbus Mysticbus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did a bit of social distancing...

Attached Files:

Bucho, assquatch20, Ride Now and 2 others like this.
  4. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    To far from TW content? .....ha, ha, ha , ol buddy. .....not quite , after all ,TW folk have machines that are made for off trail adventures.......GPS tech , is essential......talk away about such things.....please. I'm one of those older riders who didn't grow up with such gizmos.....lol
    WECSOG and JagLite like this.
  5. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    Congrats and welcome!
    1. Stay loose. Especially offroad. Tensing up causes you to crash. And yes, as others have said, look ahead.
    2. Learn to use your front brake. It's your most important one in most situations.
    3. Power through. If you feel like you drove in over your head, don't grab the brake. Give it throttle instead. Of course if you're at the edge of a cliff like in Admiral's latest video, YMMV...:p3rry
    frog13 likes this.
  6. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi frog.... Yeah..... I'm an old fart as well but going on 18. hahaha I have been using Locus Pro for about 4 years now, it has a rather steep learning curve but it has been well worth it. It is also a OSM off line mapping app. Apps like Locus, Maps.me, orux, Gaia and others have garmin beat all to hell. Makes Garmin look like a toy. I bought a used Kyocera DuraForce Pro E6820 cell phone from ebay to be used just for a gps. I paid 60 bucks for it and it is military spec. Dust proof , kick proof, water proof and it has a setting for taking pics underwater. Stick it on your handle bars and ride and don't worry about it getting rained on or anything. Makes buying one of these way more sensible then paying 4 or 5 hundred bucks for a Garmin toy. And then it's easy to up-load all your points and tracks and routes to the cloud so you never loose them. I have so many points and tracks loaded From Death Valley and the Mojave desert that can not be saved to a garmin because they limit how many you can save.There are a couple of really good threads on adv rider on how to set one up and use it. With Locus I make seperate folders for all the different places I ride and name them so I know what I am looking for when I want to review them.
    If anyone were to buy one of these make sure it is unlocked. And if I had it to do all over again I'd but buy the Verizon model and not the ATT model. Even though they are unlocked they are branded to either ATT or Verizon. The ATT model will not let you use the hotspot unless you sign up with att. You have use an app called "PDAnet" to by pass ATT bulshit. The Verizon one does not do that.
    WECSOG, Ride Now, frog13 and 2 others like this.
  7. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey mio, how long did it take to install that kickstart. I've got two days off coming up before a ride. I've got a list of prep to do. Dont wanna get too wrapped up
    frog13 likes this.
  8. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another ride In the Green Valley, AZ area with my nephew Nick:

[​IMG]

Oak trees and trails make a nice ride. :ricky

Following my gps brought us to a locked gate just before the Forest Road we are on joined another one I wanted to take

[​IMG]

But the gps showed a short connecting road right where we were, and sure enough there it was:

[​IMG]

Even had a sign marking it!

Looks easy, lets go:

[​IMG]

It started off as loose rocks on a slope, then turned into loose rocks on a very steep slope, then came to a 180 switchback of loose rocks on a single track trail...
    Very technical terrain that I was glad we were going down and not up and that we were on low seat height bikes going slowly.

After half an hour we finally joined a slightly smoother and wider trail that ran along the bottom of the valley and all was good.
    We had stopped a couple times and talked about how difficult that trail would be to go up on a bike.

Then we came to the stream crossings as the trail wound back and forth on one side of the stream or the other.
    No problems, none were more than a foot or so deep and only about ten feet across.
    Until...

[​IMG]

Yep, that's the trail straight ahead and notice that the stream appears a bit deeper there?

I found a dead branch to probe the depth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is a good rock bottom but it is deep there!

I had Nick hold the branch next to my bike to compare the depth, can you see the branch is wet all the way up to even with the top triple clamp?

[​IMG]

Yep, it is deeper than the gas cap on the TW.
    (Also notice Nick's riding boots, err, shoes. We went to CycleGear the next day to get him some good boots)

[​IMG]

Maybe we can build a jump ramp and go really fast?

Nah, we found where we could cross close by and we could make our way through the trees back to the trail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a good opportunity to talk about how we could have gotten across if there had been no other option.
    As it worked out it was no problem and added some fun to the ride.
    From here on it was easy trails with only a few challenging rocky areas before we reached a real dirt road.

Eventually we made it out of there and back on another trail that took us to a great lookout spot:

[​IMG]

This is where I realized my camera was taking weird pictures and I tried to reset it :fpalm

[​IMG]

No, that doesn't look right :scratch

[​IMG]

That's better! :thumb
    Yeti2ride, wildknits, WECSOG and 9 others like this.
  9. Mi0

Mi0 :[

Oddometer:
    An hour including oil change. What took the longest was scraping the old gasket off the crankcase cover since I am meticulous about stuff like that. My bike's pretty new too so I didn't inspect the plates and discs, but for older or higher mileage bikes I would, why not.
    WECSOG and frog13 like this.
  10. Mi0

Oddometer:
    Thought you were going for that vintage look. :bmwrider Still neat shots, no matter.
    WECSOG, frog13 and JagLite like this.
  11. Mi0

Oddometer:
    @DeepWater Congrats on your first bike. My 2019 Tdub is also my first motorcycle. Great stepping stone and very forgiving bike to learn on. New riders are probably overwhelmed with information so take it easy at your own pace until you are most comfortable. Your riding habits may change and improve over time but the crazy drivers around you will not--I like to keep that in mind..
    DeepWater, wildknits, WECSOG and 3 others like this.
  12. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not intentionally. :shog
    I don't look at the picture review on my camera so it wasn't until I happened to see one that I realized something was wrong.
    I have no idea how I changed the setting and it took me a while of pushing buttons and going through never-seen-before screen menus that I finally found a way to change it.
    I need an instamatic...
    (if you kids don't know, that was a super simple camera with one button to push, and an easy to load film cartridge that you dropped off at a place that would now be a drive through Java Joint and you came back in a few days to pick up the little pictures and negatives) :gerg

Which makes me ask, any recommendations for an inexpensive, easy shoot, one hand camera that is rugged to keep attached to my jacket or around my neck so I don't have to stop, take off my glove(s), dig out the camera from a pocket, turn it on, wait for it to wake up, then take the picture, put the camera back in my pocket, put my gloves back on, and go... :ear
    Bucho likes this.
  13. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jag, I still have a couple of those old instamatics. I started taking pics with a Brownie star flash way back when. You young enough to remember those. hehehe
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  14. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's for the info on the kick start. Maybe I'll attack it tmrw. Kinda nervous just riding a bike now with the whole virus and hospital overload etc....
    frog13 likes this.
  15. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Cool mini ride report. Sometimes the challenging sections are the most fun and most memorable.

Though I've found the difference between "Wow, this is fun and challenging!" and "OMG, Im exhausted and hating life..." is often only a few degrees.

16. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Ride slow, take caution, wear your gear... I think you can limit risk down to a reasonable amount.

Though I understand some people's decision not to ride during this time and I can respect that.
  17. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Eeeeeeek Cyclepath, always a wealth of knowledge.....I've got alot of catching up to do. Ride on
    Cyclepath and JagLite like this.
  18. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cannon Power Shot ELPH 110 HS best little camera for taking shots on the move, even videos, good quality too had ours for years.
    wildknits, WECSOG, Cyclepath and 2 others like this.
  19. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Canon Power Shot ELPH 110 HS best little camera for taking shots on the move, even videos, good quality too had ours for years.
  20. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, thanks to mios video I was able to get the kickstart installed today. It took longer than an hour but some of that was lack of tools and working outside etc.... after a long winter sleep I kicked her to life in about 6 good kicks. Runs no battery, drives etc.... no leaks. By God I think I might have done it right.
    wildknits, WECSOG, cateyetech and 5 others like this.