The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    How about the Yamaha XTW 250. I'd buy this in a heat beat.

upload_2020-4-7_14-5-17.jpeg

[​IMG]
    Bucho, mentolio, WECSOG and 5 others like this.
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I for one do not want a lot of useless plastic on the bike. Or metal for that matter.
    The TW is fine as is, just add another gear or a wider range trans, 1st a little lower, 5th a little taller, or a 6 speed,
    or another 50cc's.
    Plastic and metal racks all over the bike I do not need.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    To each there own..... Where I ride I can use all the extra racks and space to carry my gear and extra gas and what ever else. I am not confined to a limited amount of miles or distance by a pine forest with lots of other riders to help me out if I get myself in trouble. It sounds like where you ride there are hikers, qruads, 4x4's , horse back riders. I can ride for two or three days straight and never see another soul.
    And the TW does not need a 6th gear. It can't even pull 5th wide open in a head wind or up an incline. It does just fine the way it is. And that Ryoku is a 250 cc engine. Looks like it might be an XT250 The only thing I'd add to the Ryoku I bigger rack above the headlight.
    By the time I get done loading it up with spare gas, water, food, all my camping gear and a rather large tool kit with an air pump and an extra chain for a 3 or 4 day trip through the Mojave desert exploring all the side canyons I find along the way I'd need more storage.
    What useless plastic do you see? I see a nice big yellow gas tank instead of the useless small 1.8 gallon tank on the tw. Also I see a nice front fender and a rear fender.

https://blog.motorcycle.com/2011/12...0-ryoku-concept-at-the-2011-tokyo-motor-show/
    WECSOG and JagLite like this.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    What is with that front fender?
    Is that gas tank all gas or just plastic?
    The TW has big strong racks you can get that look more serviceable, and yes, that does look like the xt250 motor which has a wide ratio trans.
    It just looks to me like more of a style then useful stuff.

Wonder what the weight is...
  5. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    It's a cartoonish cross between a TW and a futuristic adventure bike. Stylized tank lobes protected by unnecessary crash bars is the opposite of the utilitarianism that's at the heart of the TW (or AG) bikes' styling. A few might buy it as an alternative to the Grom, perhaps?
  6. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    A lot of excess metal on the bike, and as an air cooled bike, air flow seems restricted, and no oil cooler.
    Not a fan.
  7. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that front fender is a bit hoaky....Somewhere a while back I read that the gas tank was that big so maybe that tank is all that big, would be nice. I have the clark tank on mine and it still is only 2.9 gallons or something like that. I still need to carry extra gas. I did a 187 mile loop ride over mengle pass and Goler wash in Death Valley and I did not make it on one tank. I had to add fuel to make it back to camp. And that particular trip I did not do a lot of side canyon exploring but stuck to the main route. I could not find a weight figure for the bike. ??
  8. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    There is a cooling fan on the right side of the bike.
  9. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Oh, is that what that is?
    I wonder if its over an oil cooler, or just pulling air past the fins on the motor.
    An XT250 motor in a TW would so rock.

10. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    It looks like those crash bars are protecting the large gas tank. And I like the Grom to.
    JagLite and frog13 like this.
  11. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about an oil cooler ? But to me it looks like the eng. would get enough air on it even without the fan . Looks like enough air could enter through the front behind the front wheel, who knows though. A few years ago I found a bunch of info on the bike but I have no idea where that is now, duhhh, Anyway it was just a concept bike and I don't think it was ever produced ?? And your right about the weight, might make it prohibitive . Especially for this old coot when it comes time to pick it up after it decides to take a nap. hahaha Maybe it has built in hydraulic jacks to push it back up-right. hahaha
    JagLite and frog13 like this.
  12. jlynch

jlynch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    XTW250 right idea way too much crud on the bike. I just want a bit more top end speed out of the tw without reving it. I'm fine with 45 or 50 mph, but at 50 I just think the bike is eating it's guts out. It's not like it's a high tech ktm motocross 4 stroke motor. I also don't ever want to loose the low end on the bike. I picked the TW because it is slow, now I'm contradicting myself, but when you do need to get up and go so you don't get run over a 6th gear would be nice.
    Cyclepath... sounds like you come down from Washington and ride Mojave.. If you want a cohort some trip let me know.
  13. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I did a bit of reading and noted that the XTW 250 was a concept bike, back from 2011. Therefore VERY unlikely to ever go into production and even less likely to be exactly as seen in the photos.
    JagLite likes this.
  14. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    If you go one down on the countershaft sprocket, or a few up on the rear sprocket, 55 to 60 mph is ok.
    Its a small piston not moving far so its not stressing the engine really.
    Power falls off way before engine damage rpm, so a bit wider range on the transmission might help with running at 60 mph.

If I am not wrong, it seemed like Japanese bikes used to be designed for Americans, bigger and geared for speed.
    The old cb350 was built for two, the SL350 was a full size bike, my XL250 was great, etc.
    Now they seem to be built for smaller lighter people with much lower speed limits and range.
    JagLite likes this.
  15. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    yup. I go to Death Valley once a year sometimes twice. I have buddy that I used to race with living in Fullerton. He has an xt250. Sometimes he comes along. Most of the time I go there the last week in March and then stay for 3 weeks or more. This year I went in the middle of Jan. and ended up doing most of my exploring in my 4x4 cuz it was just to dang cold in the morning to be on my bike. Yeah, I R a wimp. hahaha and also the days were to short to do any good lengthy trips.
    I would also like to do the Mojave Road. Take my time camp along the way explore as much as I can but I think I'd like to do it in my 4x4.
    Next time I go I'll hit you up to see if you want to come along.
    Now might be a good time to go now that all the parks are shut down. There would be almost no one there. Come in from the north end at Big Pine down the Death Valley road to the crankshaft junction. Or maybe just outside of Beatty NV. on into Phinney Canyon. You don't find anybody there even during tourist season and there is also a way into Phinney Canyon just outside of Rhyolite but it's a really rough washed out gravel one way road. If you want to call it a road. :-)
    Oh, I am no longer a trail racer..... now I am a trail rider.... take in the sites, take pics, smell the roses.
    JagLite and WECSOG like this.
  16. jlynch

jlynch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cyclepath, Sounds great to me and my friends. No more hare and hound racing for me either. Let me know when you come down. Fr. Crowley of Crowley pass and lake fame was my great uncle.
    I did go down one on the countershaft but it still revs like a mother as far as I'm concerned.
    I love my TW!!! All of this is just fun talk. No bike is going to be perfect unless you really do mods on your own. Most of my dual sport people I know have BMW 1200GS. They go way to fast and don't meet the peoples.
    JagLite likes this.
  17. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Yes, just fun TW talk.
    I think I would rather have mine back then the new klx230 I got, but had to try something new.
    I will likely be back to a TW next spring...
    JagLite, TheHeretic, WECSOG and 2 others like this.
  18. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Holy crap.... tell me about Fr. Crowley. Send me a pm if you think this is getting to far away from TW talk.
    Ok, If you come into Death Valley from Lone Pine on 190 heading east you come to a large white cross on you left. Do you know of this place and have you stopped there. A little history. This was the first stage coach stop crossing death valley. One of the children died at birth and the other made it to age 4.
    So what you say..... well the name on the grave is the same as my last name. If my research is right they came here from Scottland and so did my ancestors . I think they moved on after the infant died. Some long lost relatives ???? I am still doing research. Maybe that is my draw to Death Valley. I am going to post a pic. I always leave a little something for the kids at the grave site when I pass through.

KIMG4225JPG.0.jpg
    KIMG4226JPG.0.jpg
    Bucho, cateyetech, TM1(SS) and 2 others like this.
  19. jlynch

jlynch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never saw that grave but the plaque of Fr. John Crowley is at the top of the pass. My grandfather was from Muckross. Right down the road from Killarney where Crowleys are from. My great grandfather was the games keeper at Muckross Abbey.[​IMG] great Anyway there seems like there could be a connection for sure.
    Bucho and WECSOG like this.
  20. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yup, I have been to that plaque. The fact that he was a great uncle I'd be doing all the research I could on him. I like that kind of history and also the lives of the McKellips and the stage coach stop. Scottish ancestery is hard to trace. Back in the old days there was alot of sur-name changing. If you lived next to some one and didn't like them they would just chang the spelling of there last name.
    JagLite and WECSOG like this.