The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... Looks like it worked on my end...

Here's the Atlanta to Florida DS route GPX file as well...

Attached Files:

juno and JB44 like this.
  2. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know how those work on a phone, but on a laptop you can hover your cursor over the map and use the scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out on the track for better detail. Pretty cool. :thumb

I guess an old dog can learn a new trick every once in a while... :lol3
    JB44 likes this.
  3. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, Randy.
    I'm an old slow guy too. Rode a TW for many years on the forest service roads in western NC/east TN.

[​IMG]

Will let you know when/if I get to the area again. The wife and I would have been in Lagrange now if it weren't for the virus business.

BTW, l never have been a GPS guy either. Bought a used one of the Kyocera phones too. Slowly trying to figure it out.

jb
    Randy and JagLite like this.
  4. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I hear ya... My plan when I bought the bike was to trailer it north and spend some time riding all the forest service roads in N GA/W NC/E TN on weekend camping trips. MUCH better area than anything around here. But, I still want to ride locally so I'm always looking for new dirt roads to explore. But then just about the time I start planning to go on some of those trips, the virus business hits... And you might know, it would happen when we've had the longest, nicest spring riding season I've ever seen... :(:
    JB44 likes this.
  5. Mi0

Mi0 Rock or something

Oddometer:
    Randy, have you visited Durhamtown yet? I'm also planning to ride the SEAT, before attempting the TAT or parts of it at least.
    assquatch20 likes this.
  6. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not although I've had friends that went there years ago. Sounded like a really cool place for that sort of thing. From your videos you posted here it looks like you enjoy true off-road though. If so, and if you haven't been yet, you'd probably really like it.

I don't really ride woods trails anymore like I used to. Sold off my dirt bikes a few years ago when I decided that I didn't need to get hurt anymore... Been riding mostly street for quite a while, and just recently returned to my DS past and started scratching the "off-road" itch with the TW. But still don't plan to do much single track woods type riding and am mainly focused on forest service/dirt/gravel/ two track type of riding. In the time it takes me to get to Durhamtown from my home, I can be in N GA riding countless miles of great back roads and forest service roads.

I've heard of SEAT before but never really looked into it. I just downloaded the GPX file for it so will look at it more closely. The western part passes pretty closely to my house, and at first glance appears to possibly partially include the Alabama Skyway ride that I've been planning to do soon. I won't do the whole Seat as that's a bit ambitious for me on the little TW, but I may do parts of it at least. And depending on the level of difficulty, I may even do some of it on the Himalayan as well...

Here's the file and a preview of SEAT for those that may be in the area and interested...

EDIT: After posting the GPX file I read the Docs file that is part of the available info. In that file the author asked that the files not be distributed in any way... :(: Not sure why, but out of respect of the author and his/her request, I have removed the file from this post.

The files are readily available right here on ADV. A simple Google search will bring you right to a thread with the required links from which you can download it all. My apologies to the originator for sharing the info without permission. :doh
    JagLite and Mi0 like this.
  7. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    And just for shits and giggles, here's the Alabama Skyway route that I mentioned above. While it looks like some of it is common with the SEAT, the section south of Cheaha Mtn State Park isn't included. I've ridden the Cheaha Mtn paved section many times on many different bikes, and did some of the northern dirt section on my GS in the past. In fact, I was just over there two weekends ago on the Himalayan riding the paved section. Planning to go back to do the southern end on the TW soonish...

Attached Files:

JagLite and WECSOG like this.
  8. Mi0

Mi0 Rock or something

Oddometer:
    Hey I'm glad you like your fork upgrades. For a while I thought you were going back to riding hard haha.
    Oh and I'm going with Eastwood's 2K. Thanks Randy & JagLite.
    JagLite and Randy like this.
  9. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... Speaking of GPS routes, does anyone know of a good online, or phone app, for routing that allows a preference for dirt/gravel/unpaved roads? Looking at a couple of the route maps I posted above, I noticed that the SEAT passes through Roanoke, AL. Roanoke is only 21.6 miles from Franklin, GA based on the fastest route from Google maps. One of my local dirt routes leaves Newnan where I live and ends up just outside of Franklin. If I can find a gravel route link from Franklin to Roanoke, I'll be able to jump on the SEAT from within just a few miles of asphalt from my house! :wings

Then, from there, I can find ways to link up the Atlanta to Florida routes, as well as the Senoia to Juliette routes. That should keep my gravel road riding needs satisfied for a minute or two... :ricky
    WECSOG likes this.
  10. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

Ummmm... Judging by last Sunday's ride, between the forks and the new front tire, maybe a little harder than is prudent... :lol3 Thanks to you and NJ-Brett for the push to dive in and splurge on the Emulators. :thumb
    JagLite likes this.
  11. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have ridden versions of the eastern side of the SEAT to get to the TAT start at Witt road, did the TAT to mid AR and picked up portions of the western part of the SEAT to get back to Florida back in 2015. Not real challenging but a fun and a good warm up and practice for the eastern part of the TAT. Great for a TW!
    Randy likes this.
  12. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    SEAT looks interesting. Not that far from me, either. I might check out at least the western portion of it this summer.:thumbup
    Randy likes this.
  13. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
  14. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'll be checking out at least some of the western part soon. Maybe even this coming weekend if all goes well. :thumb

On my question earlier about a gravel route aid, I did remember this: https://gravelmap.com/#10.39/33.0998/-85.3565

While it won't really make a route, it does show gravel roads in the area of interests. So, using that, I can manually figure out a likely route to take in order to create my own "route". I say "route" because this whole GPS thing is very new to me so I don't yet know anything about making actual custom routes to use on my GPS. But, I can read a map, and I can explore likely "routes" to take. And once I figure out a good way to get there, I do know how to make OsmAnd record a track that I can save and follow later, or share with others so that they can follow it.

AND, if anyone remembers my little tale of my first use of the bike mounted Kyocera DFP, you may remember my mention of getting frustrated late in the day when my battery was getting low, it was getting late, and I decided to just cut and dash for home... AND the damned thing was taking me in all sorts of weird directions that were obviously NOT the most direct route home. I thought I sorta remembered that when I first got the phone and was figuring the app out, that I'd ran across something in the settings about preferred roads. Well, last night I got it out and started playing with it again. And sure enough, it does have a preference for "unpaved roads". And sure enough, that setting was turned on! :lol3 Now, I understand what it was doing a few weeks ago! BUT, now that I know how to enable and disable that unpaved road routing preference, it will be fun to play with. I may use it to plot a route from Newnan to Roanoke, and see how it takes me this weekend. Then once in Roanoke I can just pick up the SEAT track and go from there... :ricky

This is gonna be FUN! :smile6
    WECSOG, JagLite, Nobade and 1 other person like this.
  15. assquatch20

assquatch20 Hosscat

Oddometer:
    One for the bookmarks folder, thanks!
  16. WECSOG

WECSOG Dirt Road Denizen

Oddometer:
    Just past the pavement's end in North Alabama
    Which mapping program on the DFP?
  17. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    OsmAnd. I've installed Locus and OsmAnd but only used OsmAnd so far. Everyone says Locus is a more powerful tool, but that it has a steeper learning curve and as this was my first foray into the world of bike GPS's, I started with OsmAnd's free version to test it out. So far, for what I wanted a GPS for, it's been impressive. Enough so for my needs that I haven't felt compelled to try Locus yet. This DFP has probably been the best 60 bucks I've ever spent on motorcycling. At least in terms of allowing me to find new interesting places to explore. And exploring has ALWAYS been my primary interest in motorcycling.

On my 11th Christmas my parents gave me my first motorcycle, a 1976 Honda XL70 just like this one:

1976 Honda XL70.jpg

I grew up in a small rural town in central LA. So. even though I was only 11-12, since my bike was "street legal" (never had a tag put on it although I think my parents actually got one) I was allowed to ride on the streets. :D I never ventured too far from home, but even still, that sense of freedom and exploration was what got me hooked on motorcycling. Been with me ever since...

Oh yeah, and on the website I mentioned the other day, gravelmap.com, I discovered that it does more than just depict gravel roads on a map. If you hover your cursor over them a name will pop up. And on some of them hovering over different areas of the road will reveal different things. And on some of them, the road will change colors to reveal a route with a name. On those, if you click on them, a side bar will open with even MORE info for the route, INCLUDING a GPX file. Like so:

Gravelmap1.jpg
    Gravelmap2.jpg

As you can see, the one above represents a loop of just over 105 miles, with others in the vicinity. I just discovered this recently and haven't spent a lot of time looking, but I've already found and downloaded a few interesting looking track files in the N GA area. Hoping to head up to explore sometime soonish...

:ricky
  18. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    That XL70 was a very cool bike!
    I started on a Suzuki TC90, maybe a bit faster....
    WECSOG likes this.
  19. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I'm a novice GPS user with the Kyocera.

I'm experimenting with OsmAnd, Google Offline Maps, and Sygic (paid versions of Osmand and Sygic).

All of them work so far for my purposes.

But I don't like that I have to piece together Google Maps to make one state.

OsmAnd and Sygic can download whole states at once.

So far I like the screen display of Sygic.

jb
    WECSOG and Randy like this.
  20. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it was! Of course my parents knew nothing about motorcycles other than that I'd been pestering them about one for years. Haha. I'd been fascinated by them from my earliest memory of seeing one when I was 2 1/2 - 3 yo. And back in those days information about such things wasn't as easy to get as today unless you knew people in the know. So, they took me to the closest dealership to our home town for a look. I liked the XR75 best because it looked more aggressive. One like this was sitting right beside the XL70:

1976 Honda XR75.jpg

I still think that XR75 looks cool as hell! That would have likely been the better bike overall as it was lighter, and came with knobbie tires. The engine is also different as it has a more vertical cylinder. I'm not sure what else was different mechanically, or what the performance differences were, although I would assume it was geared differently and likely made a bit more power. But my parents liked that the XL had full street equipment and was "legal". Kinda odd thing to consider for an 11 year old that was still several years from getting a license. :loco My dad also liked that it was a four-stroke over some of the two stroke models we were shown. So, that's what they (we) picked out. And who was I to complain? And in the end, the fact that it was "street legal" most likely allowed them to somehow justify letting me ride it on the streets around the house, which in turn is what gave me that first taste of freedom and adventure. The rest as they say, is history... Dual sporting has always been in my blood, I guess. :ricky

And while the XL70 would do a touch over an indicated, 55-60mph I'm sure the two stroke TC90 was a bit quicker. Not familiar with them but it looks like it would have been a cool bike! :thumb
    ebbanflood, WECSOG, Nobade and 4 others like this.