The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Therein lies the rub of owning only one bike, for me. I've never found any one bike that satisfies the different types of riding I like to do. I like the TW for it's go anywhere nature as this helps me prevent the "avoiding some places" thing. I had the same issue way too much when I rode bigger bikes. They were great for certain things but I bypassed too many unknown roads/trails due to not wanting to get a harder to handle bike into a sticky situation. While riding the TW I don't have this "fear", which allows me much more freedom to explore.

For example, a while back I discovered what looked like some interesting off-road routes. My plan was to explore them on the TW first so I could see what they were like, then if I felt comfortable, I'd ride them on the Himalayan later on. That was my plan anyway... And to a point it worked out that way. I rode the stretch of the SEAT from Roanoke to Heflin on the TW and had a blast. So, once I knew what to expect, I decided I was comfortable taking the Himalayan over the same route. So, I did, with no issues. :ricky

Then, while in that area and feeling brave, I decided to explore some more... I did a little write-up about the rest of that trip here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/royal-enfield-himalayan-owners-thread.1253460/page-820#post-40161973

The short version is that some of the rest of that ride was WAY more challenging than I anticipated. While the Himalayan did fine, I found myself wishing I was on the TW for a greater portion of the last leg of that ride. I've since gone back and rode those sections on the TW and found it less stressful of a ride in the tougher areas.

So yeah, while some may not be able to financially justify more than one bike, I look at it kind of like shoes... I have different types of footwear because they each serve a different purpose. It sounds like maybe you need two bikes... the KLX for what it does when the conditions and locations are appropriate, and a TW for those other times. Life is too short to feel limited by conditions and equipment.

:ricky
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Well, I do have two bikes at the moment and am looking to get a 3rd for 2 up riding.
    The klx230, the TU250, and the wife wants a newer Bonneville.

I got the 230 so I could do more street to other places to dirt ride, the TW with its limited top speed was a limitation for that.
    Well, I checked the other places out and they suck, or they really call for a TW (REALLY soft sand).

So I will be going back to the TW at some point.
    The 230 motor in the TW would be SO bad ass!
    Its a real gem.
    JagLite likes this.
  3. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. :thumb

And yes, I would be thrilled if I could have a TW with maybe just a bit better suspension, and 24ish hp and a sixth gear. As it is now, mine runs fine for the off-pavement stuff I do. But, it could definitely do with more power along with a bit higher final ratio for the pavement sections of my rides.

I'm still toying with picking up yet another small dual sport. I really like the overall size of the TW, and while an advantage in some places, for the overall area in which I ride the fat tires aren't really an advantage. I've ridden similar stuff many times on much larger dual sport bikes with standard dirt bike wheel and tire sizes. But, as mentioned, they were too big to allow me the freedom that I enjoy now with the smaller bike. Unfortunately there's just nothing on the market currently that fits. Probably the closest to what I think I'd enjoy would be the Honda CRF230L or the Yamaha XT225, neither of which are still available. :( I've considered quite a few other dual sport bikes recently, compared the specs between them all, past and present, and by and large, the majority are just too damn tall for what I want a bike for these days.

The KLX sounds interesting, but just from the specs, it appears to me quite a bit taller than what I'm looking for.

A few years ago, when I first became interested in a smaller bike, I ran across a ride report on another forum about a California to Alabama off-road adventure that a guy did on an XT225. He had his nicely set-up with mods to the suspension, wheels, spokes, tires, tank, etc. He's also a member here so I contacted him a while back trying to find that old thread. Unfortunately, he did't know how to find it any longer... But, I remember enough of it that I could likely replicate it well enough for my needs. I like the simplicity of the bike as it's sorta like a TW's skinny slightly taller sister. If I run across a clean example for decent money, I'll probably pick it up and give it a whirl... Just don't see nice examples around here too often these days... Keeping my eyes out for one though...
    JagLite likes this.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    You can lower bikes you know, I have lowered my 230 a bit because I fit taller tires, but with the stock tires you can lower it about 3 inches.
    I met a guy on the trail with a lowered wr250, lowered a lot, and he loved it.

But, I think the TW is fine, you just have to live with about 60 mph as a top speed to run at.
    That works most places around here.
    Lately though, the police are hiding and people are going nuts, doing 60 or 65 in 40 mph zones and such!
    JagLite likes this.
  5. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Around here they bumped the two main roads to 65. Its not at all common to see 75mph anymore. It's just plain stupid
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  6. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, been reviewing specs and crunching the numbers of a bunch of bikes... things like seat height, weight, ground clearance, front and rear suspension travel, ergo triangle, lowering mods, etc... And then there are a few other factors such as aftermarket support for things like seats, tanks, racks, etc.... Just lots of considerations floating around in my mind. Don't plan to "replace" the TW as it's stayin'. Just thinking about adding something to the stable that will slot into my newfound interest in smaller dual sports and that will be good for doing a few specific sorts of things better than my current two. Kinda bridging the gap between the TW and the Himalayan, you might say... In the meantime I'm enjoying riding what I already have. But, dreaming and planning mods for "my next bike" has always been a big part of the fun of the hobby for me, so... :ricky

And yeah, most all of the areas I tend to ride have limits of 45-55, so the top speed isn't a huge deal. But would like a bit more on top to allow for a bit more relaxed rpm at hwy speeds. Just because a bike will do 75 or more doesn't mean I'll actually go 75 or more. But a bike that will do that easily enough is typically better at 60-65 than a bike that is fairly well topped out at 60-65.
    JagLite likes this.
  7. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    < This is my first motorcycle (bought in '05) street rode for around 9 months, found out about my local track, and the rest is history - mostly stock, and I'm a pretty good/fast rider on it being I generally wear the tires out!

Now, I grew up on 3-wheelers - no fear on them, but I was young & knew the risks.

Bought my TW end of June 2018, and my DR650 end of March 2019. I've put ~3,200 miles on the TW, and probably around 2k on the DR, with both being a mixture of paved & mainly dirt roads, being there aren't really trails or much technical riding near me. Therefore, I consider myself a decent off-roader when it does get slightly challenging (sugar sand, slick mud, etc.).
    Decent as I ride these low & slow, as that's what I find fun.

The TW is all stock, and the DR is well set-up (aftermarket goodies), like TAT ready set-up - it's a Cadillac!! Would think it would be my favorite with it being far more comfortable ergonomically & the ride itself (suspension). But, I find myself wanting to ride the TW 70-80% of the time - mainly to the lower & lighter riding it provides. Now if only on pavement, it's the DR hands down.

If & when I started adding some goodies to the TW, man.....I can only imagine the more fun it will be to ride!! :super
    frog13, JagLite and Randy like this.
  8. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I had a DR650 and loved it, pumper carb and upgraded suspension, what a fun bike.
    I did not mind the weight till it drilled me into the ground and I get the helicopter ride to the hospital, up to that point is was a non issue.
    I would not think about taking one many places I took the TW, that's for sure!
    On the hard stuff and the street, it was a real hoot!

The TW can be improved quite a bit from stock, fork kit, better front tire, carb jets, etc.
    It could use a better shock, but even so, it can go quick in the hands of a good rider.
    JagLite likes this.
  9. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, have considered a modded DR many times. And may still end up with one yet, IDK It's actually set up from the factory to be lowered enough to seem reasonable for me. But it definitely is no TW in true off-road conditions. With that said, I don[t really do woods trails these days and for the most part just enjoy two track where the DR would likely do just fine for my style. It's definitely not off the table if I were to come across the right deal...

And yes! I've done a few mods to my TW, like jet kit, DG exhaust, kick starter, rear sprocket change, yada, yada... And I like everything that I've done to it. If building a replacement I wouldn't change a thing. But by far the best two improvements I've made to the bike have been the Race Tech Emulators and the Tusk DSport front tire. Those two totally transformed the bike off-road! :super
    JagLite likes this.
  10. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    DA854739-C56E-4B9F-9611-C8333710B68B.jpeg
    A few days moto camping . Been getting 95 mpg even all loaded up !
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been contemplating the choice between the TW or my Himalayan for taking a trip on the SEAT and SM500. Both have their advantages and disadvantages for a trip like that for me. Cargo capacity, comfort, and speed/power of the Himalayan obviously. But the TW has the size and confidence that comes along with that when I don't know what I may encounter on the trip. Seeing your photo above makes me really curious to learn more about your luggage setup. Can you share more details and photos of what you're using and how you have your bike set up to carry gear?
    JagLite, frog13, wildknits and 2 others like this.
  12. frog13

frog13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    TW is your choice . The start of your 4th sentence......confidence, tells the tale. Ride on
    JagLite and Mike Dirt like this.
  13. Mike Dirt

Oddometer:
    Rear rack and side racks , the saddle bags are 36 liters, the duffel is 15 liters and the tank bag is 8 liters. Total 59 l.,the bags were not full , probably had 8 to 10 119C6CF6-871F-4315-AC6D-568357963239.jpeg 03187AD1-B9F3-4142-863D-62B695D5FDC5.jpeg liters of wiggle room . The side racks really make the saddle bags mount solid. Total weight was right about 36 lbs. for the luggage and gear.
    Ride Now, Randy and JagLite like this.
  14. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn! I really like those side racks! Somehow those have escaped my attention until just now. And they're not priced bad either. I may have to think about adding those. Thanks for the info and photos. :thumb
    Mike Dirt likes this.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You have a point. While I've taken the Himalayan over the same routes as the TW, on a couple of the really bad areas I'll admit that the TW was a bit less stressful. And there have been a few things I've done on the TW that I wouldn't have tried on the bigger bike.

And after seeing Mike Dirt's post and checking into those racks, it definitely makes it a more practical consideration... Not too sure that my current soft panniers (Nelson Rigg Sierra Dry Saddlebags) would work on the TW. I think they'd be a little large for those racks with they way they sit so far forward. But Manracks mentions the DrySpec D20's as working well. And I was thinking seriously about getting the D20's to go with my D68 set that I already have. But they were out of stock everywhere, and an inmate graciously offered me his Sierras for FREE! So... I like the Sierras for the Himalayan. But... This would give me an excuse to pick up a set of the D20's when they come back in stock... And mixing and matching those with one or even both of the D68 bags would offer a lot of practicality for different bikes and setups....

Hmmmm.... :hmmmmm
    frog13, JagLite and Mike Dirt like this.
  16. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I already have a rear rack that I sorta like for my needs. Looking at the photos on their website, it appears that the side rack mount independently of the rear rack. Is that correct? Unless there's something about their mounting system I can't see, it appears they'd work just fine with my current rear rack. But, I can't really see how they attach at the rear...

They sorta make the TW look a little Rokon-ish... :D
  17. Mike Dirt

Oddometer:
    ^^ Randy , yeah the side rack doesn’t interfere with the rear rack . I think they add a bit of strength to the sub frame via some triangle .
    Randy likes this.
  18. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:

Well, glad I saw this last night. Last night I had the tank and seat off, wiring a relay and circuit to run my GPS charger. I never noticed until I went back out to look at my bike to see if I could tell how the Manracks side racks where mounted... While looking at the area closely I discovered that my top exhaust spring was missing (DG exhaust). I found it caught in between the pipe and the rearmost heat shield. It was just loosely caught in there and I was able to easily fish it out, so I'm guessing it hadn't been there long or it would have fallen out over all the rough stuff I did last weekend. One of the hooked ends had broken. Since the muffler mounts to the frame, and the mid-pipe does as well, the exhaust feels tight so I'm not sure how important the springs are, but I ordered some spares anyway. Probably would have never noticed if not specifically looking at this area closely.

Hard to tell from the photos on their website but I'm not sure the side racks will fit on my setup. It appears that the muffler of the DG exhaust rides a little higher than does the stock unit, so I'm not certain there's clearance for the rear mount on the right side rack.

Is there anyway anyone with the Manracks side racks could maybe take a photo of this area with a ruler or tape measure in this area so maybe I can get a better idea of the scale of things and better judge how much clearance is needed between the muffler and the subframe?
    JagLite likes this.
  19. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:

Jag. I put a small set of LED turn signals on the back of my TW because I did not like how far out the original ones stuck. I did nothing to the stock ones up front I had to buy one of those LED flasher units from Napa. My turn signals work properly both front and rear. Standard turn signals up front and LEDs in the back. I have had no problems with this setup.?????
    JagLite likes this.
  20. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your experience is exactly what I expected as that's been my experience in the past as well, and it seems the same with most everyone else. While I hate wiring, it's far from a foreign thing to me. For whatever reason, I've tried two different solid state flasher units that were supposed to work with LED's. And still no joy. I have no idea why. I can only assume that I somehow either bought something incompatible or ended up with two defective units back to back... :dunno Most part stores do not accept returns on electrical components, so I'm reluctant to keep dumping money trying new flasher units. Still not happy with the flash rate using the stock flasher unit, but at least they work better than they were with either of the other two.
    JagLite likes this.