The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Is that the vacuum slide vent?
    If so, stock there is a tube that runs to under the bike. If you go through deep water it hoses up the slide moving and the fix is to install a T or a Y and run the other hose up under the tank so water drains right out.

[​IMG]

No, it looks like the fuel feed to the carb?
  2. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oops, sorry for the confusion, wrong thread, wrong bike. Will delete and repost in the appropriate place...
    frog13 likes this.
  3. assquatch20

assquatch20 Hosscat

Oddometer:
    So I saw this today:

[​IMG]

It's a concept from this fella. Kinda neat but very familiar.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Talk (and pictures) are cheap, the real deal is a bit harder.
    That bike might be 400 pounds and cost $10,000.00.
    Looks like a lot of fun though!
    JagLite and assquatch20 like this.
  5. assquatch20

assquatch20 Hosscat

Oddometer:
    I'd rather it be a TW450. Preferably still air-cooled, but improve the brakes and suspension to some degree. You could probably build it under 300lbs. Keep the seat height fairly low as well as a deep 1st gear for paddling and tractoring. Bring back the kickstart. But whatever you do, don't stop making the 200. It's grandfathered in and too cheap not to build, I'd imagine.

They'd probably never make a TW line but it would be neat. More than likely they'd have to go FI and liquid cooled though, which kinda goes against the ethos of the Tdub, to me. The option to have a tall, well-suspended bike with a fat tire is nice too, but also maybe not what a TW is supposed to be.
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  6. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I think it just needs to be a 350 with a 6 speed.
    A better shock and forks and it would work real well for me.

If you want to go nuts, alloy wheels and swingarm and a light weight exhaust system.
    RoadVirus and JagLite like this.
  7. MotoCamino

MotoCamino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lol at first read, I thought your TW was named Frank... hah I thought hmmm that’s a good honest name for a good honest bike. Anyways I’ve some coffee now, so I should be better now.

Obsessing over finding my first moto(over 49cc) heavily leaning towards TW...what’s your fav couple things about it?
    JagLite and frog13 like this.
  8. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you didn't insert a quote, I'm not sure who you're referring to...

But, for me, some of my favorite things about the TW is the mechanical simplicity, it's tough and rugged, low seat height and overall size, the fact that it's street legal and can go pretty much anywhere as long as you're not in a huge hurry.

Simple in terms of being a basic air cooled, carbureted bike with two valves with screw adjustable tappets. Simple... no computers, no sensors... Just straight forward mechanical device that's easy to service and maintain. The low seat and smaller size means I'm more apt to go places that I might not go on a large, tall, heavy, hard to manage bike. This gives me the sense of exploration and adventure that's been sort of missing from my riding since the days of my youth aboard my very first bike, a 1976 Honda XL70. I've had many larger, faster, "better" bikes over the years. And I couldn't even count the dirt paths that I've passed and thought, "Hmmm... wonder where that goes..." as I rode by because there was no way I was going to risk riding my big mount down there to find out. I don't find myself doing that when I'm aboard the little TW. :D

Besides, can a small bike look any more badass? :wink:

IMG_0620.JPG

:ricky
    FEG32, =retread=, ross and 5 others like this.
  9. MotoCamino

MotoCamino Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for letting me know, total nube to adv and bikes. Yeah your TW is siiiiiick. I have started camping etc on my 49,2t zuma...just did a 300mile trip then a accidentally rode the Dragon... I love my little chubby dual sport tires. So now I feel like the TW will be soulmate once I get one.

That tank is sweet, 2.8? Clear so you always know how much fuel...dig it.

Attached Files:

assquatch20 and JagLite like this.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The big thing about the TW with me is the tires.
    Some think they are a gimick but on tight sandy rough trails they really help.
    You get more traction then any other bike, with a low seat, low center of gravity, and lower weight then most dual sports.
    That makes it safe and easy to go places other bikes would have a hard time or it would be a lot of work on.
    JagLite likes this.
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think the tank is listed to have a 2.7 gallon capacity. It's called "natural" which is opaque. They have colored versions too, but I prefer the "natural" as it allows easy checks on fuel levels at any time. The Clarke TW tank isn't without it's issues, but for aftermarket TW tanks it's the only game in town so I dealt with them. I did a little write-up in this thread a while back when I did my install. If you use the search feature (top right of your screen), check the box for "Search this thread only", then type "Clarke" in the search box you will find all posts concerning the Clarke tanks in this thread. If you also put my name in the username box it'll further refine the search to only my posts on the subject so it'll be easier to find my post on the install.

A 300 mile camping trip on a Zuma sounds like a lot. If you enjoy that sort of thing, the TW may be up your alley. The TW isn't fast, but compared to the Zuma it's probably a rocket! :lol3 But, if you understand the value of taking a slower pace and just enjoying the ride, while still being able to go anywhere you like, the TW is an excellent choice, IMO.

If you spend some time on this thread you'll learn a lot more about the bike. Good luck on your choice. And if you decide a TW is for you, be sure to come back and let us all know about it and your experiences on it. :thumb
    MotoCamino and JagLite like this.
  12. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, you are a future TW rider for sure! :ricky

Since you have fun on your adv-scoot, you have the right mind set for riding the Trail Worthy. :beer

[​IMG]

You Zuma looks fantastic with those tires. :clap
    The KLR caboose shows you are a person who goes out and does things. :thumb
    Many people spend years modifying their dream adv bike but never actually use it. :2cry
    Cyclepath, manx16, frog13 and 2 others like this.
  13. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    And those 2t Zumas are an absolute riot with a big bore kit, pipe, and lightweight pulley sliders!
    Cyclepath and JagLite like this.
  14. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    E719C613-772B-4D7C-9778-3C31E232B870.jpeg Just up the hill and around the corner from home !
    JagLite, wallydude440, Nobade and 8 others like this.
  15. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Nice! A TW-200 in its natural environment :clap
    Yamasakialo and Mike Dirt like this.
  16. gfb_steve

gfb_steve n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone help Identify that rack? Thanks!
  17. nihil

nihil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    gfb_steve likes this.
  18. gfb_steve

gfb_steve n00b

Oddometer:
  19. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a TCI (Turbo city inc) rack. They have been out of business for several years.
    gfb_steve likes this.
  20. gfb_steve

gfb_steve n00b

Oddometer:
    What kind of riding are you doing? I haven’t been able to get anywhere close to that. Thanks!