1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you didn't insert a quote, I'm not sure who you're referring to...

But, for me, some of my favorite things about the TW is the mechanical simplicity, it's tough and rugged, low seat height and overall size, the fact that it's street legal and can go pretty much anywhere as long as you're not in a huge hurry.

Simple in terms of being a basic air cooled, carbureted bike with two valves with screw adjustable tappets. Simple... no computers, no sensors... Just straight forward mechanical device that's easy to service and maintain. The low seat and smaller size means I'm more apt to go places that I might not go on a large, tall, heavy, hard to manage bike. This gives me the sense of exploration and adventure that's been sort of missing from my riding since the days of my youth aboard my very first bike, a 1976 Honda XL70. I've had many larger, faster, "better" bikes over the years. And I couldn't even count the dirt paths that I've passed and thought, "Hmmm... wonder where that goes..." as I rode by because there was no way I was going to risk riding my big mount down there to find out. I don't find myself doing that when I'm aboard the little TW. :D

Besides, can a small bike look any more badass? :wink:

IMG_0620.JPG

:ricky
    FEG32, =retread=, ross and 5 others like this.
  2. MotoCamino

MotoCamino Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for letting me know, total nube to adv and bikes. Yeah your TW is siiiiiick. I have started camping etc on my 49,2t zuma...just did a 300mile trip then a accidentally rode the Dragon... I love my little chubby dual sport tires. So now I feel like the TW will be soulmate once I get one.

That tank is sweet, 2.8? Clear so you always know how much fuel...dig it.

Attached Files:

assquatch20 and JagLite like this.
  3. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The big thing about the TW with me is the tires.
    Some think they are a gimick but on tight sandy rough trails they really help.
    You get more traction then any other bike, with a low seat, low center of gravity, and lower weight then most dual sports.
    That makes it safe and easy to go places other bikes would have a hard time or it would be a lot of work on.
    WECSOG and JagLite like this.
  4. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think the tank is listed to have a 2.7 gallon capacity. It's called "natural" which is opaque. They have colored versions too, but I prefer the "natural" as it allows easy checks on fuel levels at any time. The Clarke TW tank isn't without it's issues, but for aftermarket TW tanks it's the only game in town so I dealt with them. I did a little write-up in this thread a while back when I did my install. If you use the search feature (top right of your screen), check the box for "Search this thread only", then type "Clarke" in the search box you will find all posts concerning the Clarke tanks in this thread. If you also put my name in the username box it'll further refine the search to only my posts on the subject so it'll be easier to find my post on the install.

A 300 mile camping trip on a Zuma sounds like a lot. If you enjoy that sort of thing, the TW may be up your alley. The TW isn't fast, but compared to the Zuma it's probably a rocket! :lol3 But, if you understand the value of taking a slower pace and just enjoying the ride, while still being able to go anywhere you like, the TW is an excellent choice, IMO.

If you spend some time on this thread you'll learn a lot more about the bike. Good luck on your choice. And if you decide a TW is for you, be sure to come back and let us all know about it and your experiences on it. :thumb
    WECSOG, MotoCamino and JagLite like this.
  5. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, you are a future TW rider for sure! :ricky

Since you have fun on your adv-scoot, you have the right mind set for riding the Trail Worthy. :beer

[​IMG]

You Zuma looks fantastic with those tires. :clap
    The KLR caboose shows you are a person who goes out and does things. :thumb
    Many people spend years modifying their dream adv bike but never actually use it. :2cry
    NxtGoRnd, WECSOG, Cyclepath and 4 others like this.
  6. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    And those 2t Zumas are an absolute riot with a big bore kit, pipe, and lightweight pulley sliders!
    Cyclepath and JagLite like this.
  7. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    E719C613-772B-4D7C-9778-3C31E232B870.jpeg Just up the hill and around the corner from home !
    WECSOG, JagLite, wallydude440 and 9 others like this.
  8. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Nice! A TW-200 in its natural environment :clap
    Yamasakialo and Mike Dirt like this.
  9. gfb_steve

gfb_steve n00b

Oddometer:
    Can anyone help Identify that rack? Thanks!
  10. nihil

nihil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    gfb_steve likes this.
  11. gfb_steve

gfb_steve n00b

Oddometer:
  12. Lee Dodge

Lee Dodge Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's a TCI (Turbo city inc) rack. They have been out of business for several years.
    gfb_steve likes this.
  13. gfb_steve

gfb_steve n00b

Oddometer:
    What kind of riding are you doing? I haven’t been able to get anywhere close to that. Thanks!
  14. Dr. John

Dr. John Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lotta downhills
  15. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    My 1987 TW has always been a bit difficult to start. I can usually get it to go after a few seconds of churning over on the starter, while working the choke in and out. I knew the original carb was badly worn so just installed one of the eBay CV carbs (which dropped right in BTW - the engine side of the carb is identical and the air intake side just a couple of mm larger - but the boot stretched over easily.) This made the idle more even but did not make it any less troublesome to start. I can now kickstart it pretty easily, which I could not with the old carb. My GF, however, needs the electric leg.

After getting the carb dialed in last night, it did something it has done a few times before and refused to rev up. Would idle fine but any attempt to add revs, either gently or with a hard wrist, resulted in spitting and backfiring but no rpm increase. I swapped out a spare ignition coil but by then it was back to revving up anyway. Today, it was back to running fine, once I got it started. I put a timing strobe on it and noticed it gives only an occasional spark while spinning on the starter but full spark when kick-starting. I'm therefore suspecting the old ignition module. Being an 87, I don't think there are spares available. Note that the battery is new and it behaved the same with the old battery.

This evening, I decided to check the timing. Is is bang on the "I" (or "H") mark but does not advance when I rev it. Is this normal?

Anyway - I'm thinking the CDI unit is the problem here - especially as it is tightly wrapped in electrical tape, making me think it had an "issue" before I got it. I have a CDI off a DR125 that I could try to fit - would require chopping/splicing some wires but I have figured out the pin-outs of both connectors so it should be possible.
  16. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I had an old XT200 that had a bad cdi, it did not advance.
    I had the carb apart 50 times before I checked it as it ran very well up to about 5000 rpm.

Hard starting cold is an air leak, a choke problem or a plugged port, and maybe a weak spark from something.
  17. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    In this case, it's not hard starting cold, it's hard starting all the time - and swapping the carb made little difference. The 1987 CDI gets power from an AC coil, not the battery, so it should be powered ok regardless whether the engine is spinning over with the kickstart or the electric start. Odd that it kick-starts ok but not electric start - even though the e-start spins it pretty well.
  18. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mostly loaded for camping mountain rides . The photo is at about 6000ft. with many more feet to climb to the pass . Haven’t figured out how to do “ lotta downhill” and still get home ? 991237CE-3584-4148-A709-A3DD9523A0E8.jpeg
  19. Dr. John

Dr. John Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    "]Lotta downhills[/QUOTE] not serious:-)
    Mike Dirt likes this.
  20. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I do not know how you could get 95 mpg.
    Ridden very gently at lower speeds I could get 85 maybe. At sea level.
    Mike Dirt likes this.