The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I always reset the trip meter on all bikes when getting gas, and look at the amount of gas, but never write anything down.
    I know roughly what I get, so I know the range.
    My high point was when I was far away from home in the woods (dirt) and I had under half a tank on the clarke.
    I rode most of the way home very gently and in 5th gear mostly and seemed to use almost no gas and got to the gas station with 1/3 a tank.
    So I used over half getting out, and less then a third of a tank getting back.
    Was not a lot of fun riding gently so I only do it if I have to, the rest of the time I try and get the worst I can get as that equals more fun...
    Cyclepath and JagLite like this.
  2. Fr8dog61

Fr8dog61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
    Nobade likes this.
  3. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope. You are not...

IF I check mileage it's simply for range calculations. My tank range can matter, but economy for economy's sake, nope.

I ride motorcycles strictly for recreation and enjoyment, not basic transportation, and not economy. So when I get an opportunity to spend a rare day just riding for the fun of it, a couple bucks of extra fuel isn't even a blip on the radar screen of things I consider.

For example, if I ride 200 miles on an average day, and one bike gets 50 mpg, I will consume 4 gallons. If another bike gets 75 mpg, I'll consume 2.66 gallons. That's a difference of 1.33 gallons. Currently, the price of gas in Georgia averages $1.85 a gallon. So at that price, the difference in fuel costs between the two bikes is only $2.46 for a pretty full day of entertainment. I waste that much without even knowing I got anything in return, so for a full day of something I'm passionate about, it's inconsequential. But the difference in those two bikes, and how much I enjoy riding them could, in theory at least, be immense.

In places where fuel is more expensive, incomes can be considerably less, and people use motorcycles strictly as a means of inexpensive transportation, I can understand it. But, for the American recreational rider, I just don't get the obsession over fuel economy. :dunno

We may not always agree. But on this point I think we may be like minded. :thumb:ricky
    frog13, mkitchen and JagLite like this.
  4. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Unless you are commuting long distances and your other vehicle is a gas guzzler, the economics of fuel consumption really don't matter. For me it is a measure of how well the bike is running. If I start to see a measurable difference, I should be asking why. Also, knowing how far I can go on a tank - and how much is in reserve in a pinch, IS important. Fortunately, the people I regularly ride with all know how far their bikes can go on a tank. If you've ever been in the middle of nowhere with a nice long stretch of empty, fun road ahead of you and someone suddenly announces that they just ran onto reserve or their low fuel light is flashing - then they act as surprised as you are - it puts a real dampener on the ride. BTDT!
    Cyclepath and JagLite like this.
  5. FEG32

FEG32 Too old and fat for any of this.....

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Northern Michigan next to the Huron National Forest and always wanted to ride the ORV and Snowmobile trails all over the area around my old hometown. Got my trail permits today! Heading up in September for a little nostalgia mixed with TDub silliness. I will likely not get anything better than 50 mpg :-)

Capture2.JPG Capture.JPG
  6. offroadtoys

offroadtoys Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    09AADD8E-15E4-40E5-B767-0C1CB2C8EFB6.jpeg B1FBCA1D-EDCB-482D-A869-5C1CC73EC371.jpeg 8BF1C7AF-555E-4DEE-9D98-D8EE7F8EF2EB.jpeg 4C0400BA-FC1E-4121-B868-1097D4D71251.jpeg
    just got back from Irons and Baldwin Mi area yesterday. My son put on over 400 off-road miles on the T-dub in 5 days!
    frog13, Cyclepath, Ride Now and 8 others like this.
  7. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun, but that front tire looks better in the dirt then on the street!
  8. offroadtoys

Oddometer:
    What is this "street" you speak of?

:jack
    frog13, WECSOG and JagLite like this.
  9. offroadtoys

Oddometer:
    It is DOT if its any consolation.
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Looks viby...hop hop hop...
    JagLite likes this.
  11. mikeped

mikeped Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nope. I open the cap, look in the tank, top it off with a Jerry can in the bike shed, and reset the odometer. If I know I am going away from civilization for a while, I put a 2 gallon rotopax on the rack. Rarely do I hit the reserve, and the trip odometer never seems to be the same when I do.
    JagLite likes this.
  12. Yamasakialo

Yamasakialo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went 100 miles one time before I hit reserve. Then I realized I was on reserve. Lol. Flipped it the wrong way when I started out. Time to get the rotopax out.
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  13. Donttellmywife

Donttellmywife Wheelie nice guy

Oddometer:
    Resized_20200713_180535.jpeg View attachment 2478149 Ok guys, i just picked up a 88 TW with 839 miles on it. It was a little neglected but im gonna save it for my sons first bike. My first impression is this thing is awesome, but it has some very short legs to run the highway. It is screaming with the stock sprocket's at 55mph. Sorry if it has been discussed to death in here, but can yall give some real world insight to a better ratio for a more relaxed 60+ mph. thanks guys.
    JagLite likes this.
  14. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tdub, and relaxed at 60 isnt going to happen. I did the 47 tooth, jetting and my actual gps top was 62mph on the level. Add incline or wind and its outa steam. I bought a wrr. Struggling with the decision to sell the tw though
    JagLite likes this.
  15. sibyrnes

sibyrnes Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    15 front, 47 rear. At 60 Mph you will be revving about 6800 rpm. With that setup I have no problem cruising at 60(if i wanted to).
    JagLite likes this.
  16. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also did the 47T rear and find mine will run 55-60 just fine. Perhaps not "relaxed" but no biggie, IMO. And I've had it up over 70 (GPS) a time or two, although I really didn't like it, and don't plan to repeat it. I just found myself on a 65 mph road running with traffic (not something I normally do with the bike) and decided to see what it would actually do for top speed. For me and my bike 55 is the sweet spot and 60 is about as fast as I feel comfortable going on it for any length of time. I am running a UNI filter, DG exhaust, and have rejetted the bike to suit. I can't say that those mods really increased top end performance, but it sure made the bike spunkier, rev out faster, and seem to accelerate better.

I can't guarantee that a 47T will help you and your bike's speed, but unless you're pulling stumps up steep hills, I find the bike to still have plenty of low end grunt for off-road use, while being better on the street than stock.
    JagLite and Yamasakialo like this.
  17. sibyrnes

sibyrnes Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree 100%! 45 to 50 mph is the “sweet spot” with my gearing for cruising and I can hit 70 if I want to and low gear still has plenty of torque for trails.
    JagLite likes this.
  18. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Question for those with the cheap ebay replacement carburetors . . . is there an air/fuel adjustment screw on there somewhere that I'm missing? New carb just installed and could use a little tuning, but I don't see an adjustment screw on there anywhere.
  19. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Same location as on the stock carb.

pilot screw: 2 1/2 turns out is a good starting point.

[​IMG]

jb
    frog13, JagLite and Krabill like this.
  20. mkitchen

mkitchen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't really understand the issue of mileage for a TW. It's just not a big deal and I don't think it's going to break anyone's wallet filling up your bike.
    When in my youth, I drove British cars and worked hard to get the best mileage from the stock ones. Finally one of my shop teachers gave me the best advice ever. "When you have done everything you can to get the best mileage and still hit below others, just do what they are doing. Lie about it!"
    JagLite, Randy, Nobade and 1 other person like this.