The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Fr8dog61

Fr8dog61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you run a rear tire on the front you need to run it backwards (install With the arrows on the side pointing in the wrong direction).
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The tire on the front now is not really directional, and I have reversed it, more from the wear on the back of the klx.
    It seems fine on the street, but often wants to kick out in braking or turns in the dirt.
    With the big Shinko (5.10x18) I think it was heavy but grippy in most situations.
    Nothing works great on the front in thick sand, maybe a back tire (big wheel).
    Anyway, I have a new Kenda in 4.10x18 that seems very grippy but seems a bit narrow for the front of the TW with its wide rim.
    That tire is quite light, half the weight of the partly worn Shinko.
    I was tempted to try it, but decided to try the 4.60. 5.10 might be heavy, and maybe a wide contact patch makes for more sliding in
    some situations.
    Odd, but I even thought the (new) stock front tire on the TW was better then the one on now, but maybe that was just because the bike was new and the sand was wet at the time....the current tire just seems very slippery off road....
    Fr8dog61 likes this.
  3. RCEMT-P

RCEMT-P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just went for a ride on the tw.... about 35 miles. Must be my vid weight increase but the best I could get today was 62 on the dash so maybe 56 actual. It ran smooth, I took some back roads. I wanted to do a back to back ride but man its freaking cold and wet out today. Kinda sitting dow. And being honest with myself.... the tdub does what I wanna do just fine. I'm comfortable, in control and not afraid. Yes at time bored with the snail like acceleration but I'm not afraid of getting hurt. The wrr, that sucker I dont know. Always on edge on it, waiting to fall. The twitchy throttle drives me crazy. But I could rack up some serious pavement miles on it without a problem. Got a guy offering me 3800 for the tw. I love my set up, no way I'd ever sink that kinda money into another one. I'm kinda like NJ Brett. Except I kept the tw and bought a skinny tire bike for the sand up here. I think if ya had other tws to ride with it would be an easier choice.
    JagLite likes this.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    With the bigger front sprocket, I could see doing some street riding with the TW, but that is not what its really good at.
    I just use that to get to the dirt, where I find the lowish weight and seat height a bonus.
    Its a very good get lost in the woods solo bike for older guys.
    On the street, I want something better, faster and smoother. I have a TU for that. The TW is quite comfortable on the street though.

Other dual sports are good at both, the XT250 is very good overall, enough power, more fuel, reasonable seat height, lots of ground clearance.
    Its pproblem is bad suspension, that can be fixed I suppose.
    The KLX230 is also very good.
    But anytime I try and get one bike that does both street and dirt, it ends up being too much of a compromise for the most part.
    The DR650 was very close and if I was 20 years younger, that is what I would have, with a pumper carb.
    The DR650 IS fun and comfortable on the street and in the dirt.
    I could see riding 100 miles on the street to get to some good dirt on that bike, and buying tires every month...
    Its a handful in the tight sand, but so are most bikes.
    So I have two bikes to do what I do with bikes, the TU for local street rides (maybe 100 mile mostly these days) not involving much interstate, and the TW for the dirt. Both I rate as safe, with a very high fun to cost ratio.
    Loading the TW into a truck or van and going someplace seems like a very good way to go.
    JagLite and nicholastanguma like this.
  5. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think a high performance 300cc with a six speed, 250lbs max, and at least 2.5 gallons might better keep the TW's overall charming diminutive size while giving it the longer legs needed for American roads. The just-a-bit-larger-than-minibike size is an important part of why riders like the TW so much, I think.

Also, I've often wondered how much the rear tire width could be slimmed down without losing its innate TeeDubness. Maybe something like a 130/80 on a 15" rim. Still relatively fat in appearance when on a 15 inch wheel, but much lighter in weight and much more able to dig into the terrain. Everyone knows the stock 180/80's hugely wide footprint is great on a limited kind of terrain, but skids on most others. Plus, a 130/80 on a 15 would afford an inch more suspension travel at the back, and with a one inch longer rear shock to keep the factory 10.5 inches of ground clearance you'd get two full inches of travel increase at the back.

Sigh, dreaming, like every other moto rider in the world... :baldy
  6. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Well, I am sure KTM and other euro companies make bikes with engines like that.
    They seem to be able to make a lot of different size motors, 300, 310, 350, 400, 500, etc.
    They tend to be tall, expensive and need a lot of looking after, which may not be easy.
    If they made a TW type bike it would cost $12,000.00.
    China seems to be moving up to build some interesting bikes.
    So far they tend to be low end very inexpensive bikes, but they do not have to be...
    JagLite likes this.
  7. wildknits

wildknits Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_4244.JPG Well, it seems winter may be here to stay. Wasn't planning to put the TW into storage this early but the forecast is looking grim (another 7+ inches of snow tomorrow and no warm up on the horizon).

I hear the TW can be fun in the snow, but I have trouble staying warm when it's much below 60F so will probably never find out.
  8. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Its all about the gear, I manage to ride year round, on the warmer days.
    If it gets above 40F I can dirt ride in comfort.
    It was about 80F here in South Jersey today and I did a nice street ride on the TU250.
    The TW can be fun in the snow, but falling down is common.
    JagLite and Jeathrow Bowdean like this.
  9. nicholastanguma

Oddometer:

Move to Southern California! 10 - 12 months above 60F every year, and endless paved and unpaved riding opportunities. Even living here in the urban center of Downtown Los Angeles I can reach absolutely fabulous twisty paved roads or deserted mountain trails in thirty minutes or less. I know this is completely opposite of what people imagine when they hear the words "Downtown Los Angeles," but I'm not exaggerating.

This episode of MotoGeo was filmed in Los Angeles, and every one of the roads and trails featured herein I can access from my home in DTLA in thirty minutes or less.

Plus, if you like insanely high taxes, government sanctioned drug addicted homelessness, a Hollywood culture of pedophilia and self righteousness, and the most corrupt of leftist leadership, you'll fit right in! :rofl
  10. nicholastanguma

Oddometer:
    As tall as the aforementioned WR250, completely taking them out of the realm of TeeDub charm. A small lightweight tall moto is still still functionally a "large" moto. :waysad

A more powerful and lighter weight TW with great suspension is what all TeeDubbers want. :bluduh

Also, all TeeDubbers want the Pine Barrens in their backyards, but that's just more pipe dreaming. :umph
  11. sibyrnes

sibyrnes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I want a TW400. I think Yamaha could sell a lot of those!
    Bucho and nicholastanguma like this.
  12. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Checked €0₩'s this morning
    20201021_102205.jpg

Did a ride in the foot-hills... cattle pasture creek crossing needs a few more days too freeze up...
    20201021_142545.jpg

Beautiful day too tour around on the 100 lb bike ,,, roads are in great shape,,, -4c with 60 kpr winds...

I bet I was the only dude in our area out for the day... 2 staging areas,,, 40 miles riding the cut-lines...

Good times for sure,,, a tw-200 would of been awesome in this area

J.T.

20201021_125040.jpg
  13. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE="NJ-Brett, post: 41064707, member: 178815"
    Nothing I know of with two wheels does slow better then a TW.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps you have never ridden a trials bike?
    Randy likes this.
  14. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know, it doesn't have to be THAT modern and high performance. I mean, my SSR Buccaneer has an air-cooled Virago 250 (60* v-twin) motor in it, and it'll do 80 on the highway with my fatass on it. Downhill, mind you, but it will hold mid 70s on straight and level ground. I hate to say it, but in the mountains this weekend I left the TW200s in the dust. Especially uphill. I was hanging with the KLRs and adventure bikes the whole time. The Tee-dubs did pass my ass in the dirt (and embarassingly so, my suspension is made for the street and the rougher the road got the slower I rode).

Beyond the Virago mill, the CSC RX3 has a 250cc thumper that makes 26hp. In a lighter bike, without all the fairing and bags and such it would be a powerhouse. Granted it's water-cooled, but even so the whole bike is $4000 new. The Genuine G400C has about the same from an air-cooled single that would look right at home in a tee-dub. And it's also dirt cheap. So reasonably powerful engines can be designed that would work well in a TW... it's just, Japan doesn't want to do it. It's going to take China to make something interesting, I think.

Charles.
    JagLite likes this.
  15. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    I want my 370 Bultaco Frontera back...... [​IMG]
  16. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Fun in the snow with my TW... :-)
    Snow doesn't last to long around here. this was gone in about 4 days.

DSCF6537.JPG DSCF6539.JPG DSCF6553.JPG
  17. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    No, never had a trials bike.
    On tight sand trails I am unsure there would be any improvement over the TW.
    In a lot of other places yes, due to the very light weight, you could hop the bike around.
    I think they tend to be sucky on the street though, and not much fun for a 100 mile dirt ride.

I grew up on 2 strokes and think they are great, but would not want one for general use today, really bad fuel range.
    Very light weight and lots of power though, great for racing.
    JagLite likes this.
  18. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hey NJ, my Bultaco Alpina 250cc gets around 52 mpg. Not bad for a two smoker trail riding. :-) I have the lites and street legal stuff off of it. Not a race bike, It's a cross between a trials bike and a enduro bike. Way fun...... :-) Misc 023.jpg Misc 024.jpg Misc 028.jpg
    Randy, nicholastanguma, ross and 5 others like this.
  19. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Yes, I think those old bikes were better then people think, partly because of the light weight high power 2 stoke motors and partly because most had big thick seats which was half the suspension....
  20. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    More TW fun, it was HOT out, in late October!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turned over 1000 miles on the bike, maybe time for another oil change and air filter cleaning.
    Still waiting for my pro cycle stuff, almost ordered handlebars someplace else and cancel my order but I want the carb kit.
    I already got the chain and sprocket elsewhere.
    WECSOG, wildknits, JagLite and 6 others like this.