The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    Scoob & I on the 441 TW Ride in the Woods

This is one of 6 or 7 trails I rode on the day. This was the only "motorcycle only" of those trails. It appears ATV's try to ride this trail only to come to the narrow single track part and having to turn around. Probably lured in as the start of this trail is an old logging road which is off another old logging road converted to an ATV trail. They probably still should know better right?

SHOW LESS

WECSOG, luftkoph, JB44 and 6 others like this.
  2. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I don't think I would be into cliff riding like that, and I don't think I would do it solo.
    Did you have a recovery system if the bike went off the edge?
    Nice woods, but forget those cliff side trails!
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  3. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is mild. You should have seen what I did (attempted) a couple of weeks earlier on the XT200. Video of that will be shown at a later date although you can see it now on my youtube channel if you want.
    Yeah, there is plenty of sidehill exposure for sure. I go slow but don't close my eyes. My recovery system is telling my wife where I'm riding and a SPOT. If I tumble I can try and figure out a recovery plan should I actually take a little off course adventure.
    P.S. I do prefer the less "exposed" trails but you're almost always gonna get a little sidehill on and Idaho single track. Not always but usually. I'm trying to get used to it!
    JagLite and Jeathrow Bowdean like this.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I lowered the tire pressures during my ride and it seemed better, quite a bit better.
    The tires don't bulge much sitting on the bike, 9 psi front and rear.
    JagLite likes this.
  5. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Maybe its something you get used to, but it looks crazy to me.
    Plus, I generally like a little more speed in my rides.

I could see the bike slipping off the edge, and needing to get it back up on the trail, maybe solo, so some sort of recovery system to haul it back up
    like tdubs kid used....

JagLite likes this.
  6. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I love my trials bike for exploring and looking to see where I can maybe lay out a trail. But, I'm never going very far. Usually staying on 200 acres.

Have you had the opportunity to try a modern 2T bike? The old days of on/off power are gone. They are very tunable.
    Bikes like the KTM Freeride or Beta Xtrainer have great everyday, trail riding power. (Though neither have low enough seat height to match the mighty TW)
    JagLite likes this.
  7. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Sweet Trails. I need to make to out to Idaho w/ my bike

Unfortunately, some riders will never listen to signs/rules. Singletrack trails need to be built so atvs/quads physically can NOT go.
  8. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yuppers...

A more relaxed pace enjoying the day,,, and take in the sights and sounds that our little bikes allow...

We can cover the back road trails with ease at our own pace,,, zip along past the boring stuff,,, tap it kool in the section's that spark our intrests...

Lots of folks in our area are switching back too the lighter and frugal units,,, a chance too do a bit more off road stuff with limited off road skills...

I my world that is...

I was never a good dirt bike dude,,, always struggled too man handle the bigger bikes off road...

I finally switched too the feather weigth units this spring and my off road adventures took off... I can sit back and relax all day long now,,, nill for efforts going places and pilot down the trails while I look around...

Some times I puttz along in first gear as slow as the bike will go as I scout out critter tracks,,, bear scrapes,,, Beavers dam crossings,,, or twist the throttle too sift along at a fairly good pace too the next spot...

Some times I cover 20 or 30 miles in a day,,, other rides might be 80 too 120 mile runs depending on the terrain I'm on...

Stay in 1 zone or staging area,,, load the cup cake bike up and head too the next spot...

Thats what works for me now days,,, I'm pooped out of driving 2 too 3 hours on the bigger bikes,,, struggle all day off roading,,, then spend another 2 too 3 hours too get home,,, id be worn right out at the end of the day...

Now I get too relax in my support unit too and from these riding areas,,, tour around off road since I'm not worn out,,, then return home in total comfort...

Just me that is...

I cant return too the ride ride ride days,,, my body cant do it ,,, countless hours and days sitting in the saddle was too much...
    Now I puttz along on the endless trails with the greatest of ease,,, stuff the little bike into the trees and go out on foot since I'm not worn out...

And idle up any mountain of my choosing with out breaking a sweat...
    I could only dream about this when I had the larger bikes...

Now I can conquer any mountain at any time...
    20200925_150212.jpg

And I get too ride all season long off road in all kinds of weather at my choosing...
    20201021_142545.jpg

The TW or other small units are out there for those of us that want too enjoy the good times...

Either your in or your not,,, it really depends on what works best for each of us...

I get too wrap up my days on 2 wheels as long as I can """"at a pace with in my comfort zone,,,""" thats a great way too add too the quality of life in my books...

Cheers all

J.T.
    WECSOG, Cyclepath, ross and 3 others like this.
  9. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. nicholastanguma

nicholastanguma nicholastanguma Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm always looking for TW specific riding videos on YouTube. You've tentatively gotten yourself a new subscriber. :thumb
    TheAdmiral likes this.
  11. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Long timer

Oddometer:
    I glad you enjoy. There are lots of folks who put together TW Specific Videos besides me. I do enjoy other video channels other than TW channels but here are a few of my favorite TW Youtube channels not in any particular order (I'm sure I'll forget some but it's not on purpose):
    Till Death Dual Us Sport https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxdA3xcSSSfNmh0RkkegTCA
    Dual Dorks https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD41E-l3mKa3BinsVPa6a6A
    ThePhotofred https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8AhmTnZZIjH34bGSIBk1oA
    Leisure Time Larry https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAgaqqVkRYF9U7yZXQ_yU_g
    Mickymarisa https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3pcKV0O7pFLv2mWwAkUfTQ
    TDubsKid https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8mZIezxajWy-M9SQAFZD-g
    Adacasane https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVV25ycu7fhvSQ_cMpEW8tA
  12. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I guess the XT200 would be very good at a lot of that, its the lightest 4 stroke dual sport I ever had by far, something like 200 pounds without the turn signals and battery!
    Motor, frame and wheels, and most of the frame is the rear shock!

TheAdmiral and JagLite like this.
  13. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Thoughts:

This kit would be a great idea for someone riding alone in the woods, where getting your bike stuck off the trail is a real possibility. There are similar systems that also include lightweight lifting frames/props in case you need to lift a bike and there is no overhead anchor or "skyhook" available.

I put together a similar kit of my own - not just for motorcycling but for a whole host of applications where a light-weight pulley system is handy. My bag of lifting gear is based upon commercially available pulleys used in rock climbing and rope rescue, plus a very long spool of dyneema cord. It's not as neat as the Z-drag system for sure, but it's more versatile, considerably lighter and would allow recovery and/or lifting a bike over a much greater distance between bike and anchor point.

For most people, the risk/reward may not be there. It's like carrying tire irons, spare tubes, first aid kits, satellite alert, water, fuel & oil, etc. - all potentially useful but with varying degrees of necessity (depending on what you're doing) and a burden to lug around when not required. E.g. a spare spark plug may be handy very occasionally but you need a tool to install and remove it and now you're carrying another 6 or 8 oz. If you get to the point where you might need a recovery system, you are probably already carrying all the above and more - A lot of heavy, bulky gear.

While the TW is not super light, it is a pretty small bike and not too tough to man-handle around. If you are unable to drag it out of any predicament you could get yourself into, you are probably best accepting the fact that you are pushing the envelope pretty far and might encounter a situation where you end up walking out without the bike. If you are unable to walk then having an easier way to recover the bike might not help much.
    nicholastanguma and JagLite like this.
  14. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Nice morning in the pine barrens.
    [​IMG]

One of my new favorite trails:
    [​IMG]

I walked down this protected area, no motor vehicles, but did not see any reason, maybe I did not go far enough.
    [​IMG]

Camping spot, seemed to be in the middle of noplace:
    [​IMG]

About 70 miles, they have been grading some of the main dirt roads which makes them soft and unpredictable with hidden ruts and soft sports that look like hard spots, very rough going.

I got my Kenda tire today and am fitting it tonight.
  15. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    New and old, new is on the bike.
    The K270 in this size has taller knobs then the smaller sizes and can feel very alarming on the street on bigger heavier bikes as the knobs flex.
    Its a light thin tire.
    Should be good on the front of the TW!
    [​IMG]
  16. wildknits

wildknits Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

ha, no thanks! I like my four seasons; though what the heck happened to fall this year?!? I live in a small city with great access to a lot of outdoor recreation opportunities, both motorized and non-motorized. Besides, if I lived in Southern California I couldn't talk about running outdoors at -20F (air temp) and watching peoples jaws drop. :lol2
    JagLite and nicholastanguma like this.
  17. wildknits

wildknits Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like you took advantage of the snow and had a blast.

Also appears you have about a foot on me in height! I have a bit more trouble getting both feet firmly planted on the ground then it appears you do -which might make winter riding a bit more of a challenge. If this October is any indication, we will have snow for the next 6 months.
  18. Fr8dog61

Fr8dog61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve spent time in SoCal as my wife is from there.
    I’ve spent time in Duluth as I used to work there.
    I’ll take Duluth ANY DAY.

much more my style.
    JagLite and wildknits like this.
  19. ross

ross Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of buying the Harbor Freight HD hitch mounted motorcycle carrier. The dimensions list as 6.5 inches wide. holding a tape measure to my back tire it looks 7 inches. Will this work? Is there another carrier I should consider? Any experiences with hitch mount carriers and TW's would be appreciated
  20. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just be sure the tongue weight on your truck is rated high enough for the bike.

Charles.
    ross likes this.