The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. xaman

xaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tote my TW on a hitch carrier, thousands of miles logged now, trouble free. I’m not sure what brand mine is, but in fact I’ve used a couple different ones with equal success. The rear tire won’t quite go down inside the carrier rails, but will Sort of sit on top. Just take an extra cam buckle strap and cinch the rear wheel down so that it can’t bounce or “hop” out of the track. (Obviously in addition to the straps holding the front end).
  2. xaman

xaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just measured my current carrier, and it’s 7” wide overall, 5” inside the rails. And my rear tire definitely sits on top, not down inside the rails.
    ross, nicholastanguma and JagLite like this.
  3. Dr. John

Dr. John Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A piece of 1" X 6" trimmed to fit inside the rail will raise it enough to have more contact with the tire. A rag between spokes, and a large, long zip tie around the rim, and carrier will keep the bike well planted , then tie down as usual.
    ross and JagLite like this.
  4. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Did a 30 mile test ride of the new Kenda k270 tire in 4.60x18.
    65F, some light drizzle in spots, then it warmed up.
    I did a wide mix of trails:
    [​IMG]

Old Blue commet trax:
    [​IMG]
    Not doing this solo, and it looks like no one else did as the trail seemed to end.
    [​IMG]
    Sturdy enough though, bet it would still hold a train.
    [​IMG]
    And some singletrack.
    [​IMG]

I think the tire stuck like glue in every situation.
    100% better.
    The old tire seemed like it was on marbles except on the street, don't ask me why it was so bad, I have no idea.
    The Kenda had 15 psi in it and was not soft or bulging, and half way through the ride I let a little more air out.
    Thick sand, hardpack, covered sand, wet sand, all of it was very good and like I remember the TW being, I could even flat track the rear
    wheel around with the throttle a bit, very good grip.

Some parked trucks (hunters) was all I saw out there.
    Its mushroom season, lots all over out there, some of which we used to pick (my father knew 4 kinds to eat).
  5. mentolio

mentolio King of the island of unwanted toys...

Oddometer:
    I have found the Kenda K270 to be a sorely underrated tire. I ran them on both ends of my DR250 for 4000 miles. Wore well (still have a lot of life left to them), and were more than adequate in Pine Barrens sugar sand and the mud encountered there when aired down to sub 15psi.
    WECSOG and JagLite like this.
  6. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I had them on a DR650 when it put me in the hospital for quite a while, maybe not the best front tire for bigger heavier bikes, or maybe nothing
    works great on the front of big heavy bikes in the tight rough sand....
    They also feel like you have a flat on the street, as in no air as the tall soft knobs flex on bigger bikes.
    I did not notice that at all on the TW, not a lot of weight on the front tire and at 4.60 inches, more tire on the road.
    The Shinko version is also good, but the knobs are not quite as tall and its a stiffer heavier tire.
    The 4.10 version of the K270 I have has shorter knobs and is a sturdier tire, not as soft and just as heavy as the 4.60.
    Very different tire with the same tread pattern.
    JagLite and sledrydr like this.
  7. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Kenda 270 is a good tire for the money. I have had a handful of sets with little complaint other than premature rear wear. Likely self induced from excess load on long distance travel.
    On the other hand I would not buy the Shinko version again. The Shinko on front had a terrible whine on pavement. Annoying to say the least.
    Mt 2 cents.
    JagLite likes this.
  8. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm running the Shinko 244, front and rear, on my Himalayan. They do make a little noise on the road. First time I used them I was behind a jeep with mud tires. I thought the Jeep was making the sound, until I noticed that the frequency was matching my speed rather than his. I don't find it particularly annoying, and have gotten used to it, but it is there if it bothers you. I like the tires in all other areas, so it's a nonissue for me.
    JagLite and sledrydr like this.
  9. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't like the Kenda on the rear of my DR 650 but I like the Shinko (244).
    I like the Shinko 244 on the front of my TW.
    Different bikes, opposite ends, probably most tires are better than the stock TW front.
    We put a Tusk DS on the front of my brothers TW and it is excellent for AZ dirt/sand roads.
    Cyclepath likes this.
  10. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I have gotten good service out of the Shinko tires, they can make noise on the street when worn at all, but they are tough stiff (and heavy) inexpensive
    tires that last well.
    I think the Kenda's are softer all around, at least in some sizes. The bigger sizes seem to be lighter also, a lot lighter.
    In the Shinko tires, the larger sizes have bigger knobs with wider separation between them.
    The Kenda may be the same, so the same type tire may be quite different in different sizes.
    I think I would go with the Kenda 4.60 for the low weight around here, in rocks maybe the Shinko as its tougher and you could ride it quite well flat
    I think. The Kenda might be too soft to ride much flat.
    I rode home with a flat Shinko 712 rear tire on my TU250, about 10 miles even doing over 50 mph and it did not hurt the tire at all.
    Tough but heavy...
    Ride Now and JagLite like this.
  11. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that was fun . It doesn't snow like that too much around there. That is in my front yard. I live about 20 miles north of Vancouver Washington and I am at about 1100 FT elevation. That snow stuck around for 3 or 4 days. I am originally from Wisconsin so I know what minus 20° is and lots of snow and I have always hated every minute of it. Where I'm at now it rains a lot and that was fine when I was kayaking and rafting. Now I hate the rain, hahaha. I am in the process of moving to southern Oregon where the temperatures are much warmer and there is very little rain and more back roads and trails to ride then I will ever be able to do in the rest of my life. And most of them are only a couple miles away or so. I am moving on to a 90 acre ranch with a lady friend that has been living there for years and needs help with things. I started riding when I was 15 years old I am now 75 years Young and going on 18. LOL I went on what was supposed to be a short ride about a week ago and it ended up being an all-day affair getting home in the dark because the trails just kept going on and on and on.
  12. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    I had that same kenda on the rear of a xr400 a number of years ago and I really didn't like it at all. I had the narrower kenda on the front end and it was totally miserable. I didn't leave them on there very long.
    JagLite likes this.
  13. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    The ones I had on the DR650 was a 5.60 on the rear and a 3.25 on the front.
    The back was fine in the dirt, the front was not so much.
    Its fun sliding the rear wheel around, the front its not.
    JagLite and Cyclepath like this.
  14. Cliff h

Cliff h [IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer:
    I (like many folks on here) have searched for the "unicorn bike". Something small and light enough to ride off road, with decent power, suspension, seat height. All while having decent enough road manners to get you to the next trail, and is capable of sustained highway speeds enough to not get run over, etc. etc. I think the closest thing offered from a motorcycle manufacturer is this: Beta alp 4.0. Has a DR350 engine (air cooled 350cc engine, 6 speed transmission), has a decent seat height, and many of the features that many of us are looking for. It's not an aesthetically pleasing bike to look at, but I think it checks many of the boxes for features that we are looking for. The only caveat: it's not currently available in the US. I have a friend who is a Beta dealer, and he is unable to get one through his dealer network. Maybe a petition should be started to get these imported to our side of the world?

upload_2020-10-25_11-34-37.jpeg

[​IMG]
    https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/beta/2013-beta-alp-40-ar159706.html

15. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Looks good to me if you are looking for that kind of bike.
    It has to be street legal, imported, and you have to be able to get one and parts at a local dealer.
    Parts you may be able to get on line from someplace, but not many, plus, where is the aftermarket like big gas tanks and racks and so on?

350 air cooled 6 speed is the sweet spot!
  16. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree on the air cooled 350 being the sweet spot. Not a bad looking bike, IMO. For street legality it would have to pass a lot of legislative red tape to be imported and be insurable and tagable. That's pretty much on Beta to decide to spend the money to get it legal to import here. Looks like it could be yet another cool bike that we'll never see stateside. :(
    JagLite likes this.
  17. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sweet!
    Another neat bike I never heard of.

The Beta Cross Trainer is an excellent bike.
    I'd love a Cross Trainer with the 350 4S motor!

A quick Googlefu turned up a thread here on adv for one: 2019 Beta Alp 4.0

Unfortunately we won't have a chance to petition for them because 2019 was the last year they made them.
    The Suzuki engine can't pass the emissions requirements for 2020.
    Seems Suzi stopped building the engines too.
    Bucho and Jeathrow Bowdean like this.
  18. Cliff h

Cliff h [IMG]http://i219.pho

Oddometer:
    The Alp 4.0 is street legal in Europe :y0!
  19. Jeathrow Bowdean

Jeathrow Bowdean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heres a teaser from yesterday's ride...
    20201025_115339.jpg

20201025_121153.jpg

Don't let life pin you down,,, slow is the new norm along with tire chains...
    20201025_135332.jpg

Hill 21 looking West at the vast expanses of endless of the Rocky Mountain Range...
    20201025_162410.jpg

20201025_162757.jpg

20201025_123157.jpg
    WECSOG, ross, Bucho and 3 others like this.
  20. Fr8dog61

Fr8dog61 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful

You must be south of the fires.