The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Yamasakialo

Yamasakialo Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did this mod the first month I had it. Like I say...all the stuff I try works for a few miles. Maybe like 100 miles. Then it feels like didn't do anything.
    UncleRandy, WYO George and Dno like this.
  2. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glazed drum when you check? Sometimes I wonder if road oil gets into brakes when its raining. My disc brake bikes I can put the pattern back in the disc with rotary tools and special methods. Drums I like really course sandpaper and try for a 45° crosshatch. Scrub the shoes with hot dawn. Then sand. Only soapy water no solvents.
    frog13, Yamasakialo and JagLite like this.
  3. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no problem locking up the rear wheels on my 3 TW's either. :dunno

Something's not right if it won't lock up when you want it to. :hmmmmm

I had the drum turned on the TW wheel on my V-Strom project in case I don't do the disc conversion I have planned.
    But the stock drum brakes work fine so I haven't started on the conversion.

Having new shoes arced to match the drum would be something to consider.
    Sanding the drum surface as mentioned by Dno is a good idea.

Glad to know you are experienced with brakes and vehicles, you will find the problem.
    Sometimes the simplest thing is overlooked when we try to find the cause.
    Like pulling and rebuilding a starter motor in your car before finding the ground wire on the battery was loose. :baldy
    Dno, Ride Now, WYO George and 2 others like this.
  4. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good news mine locks no mods. Before and after adjustment. And really like the wing nut adjuster. I guess some bedding in and more foot pressure.
    frog13 and JagLite like this.
  5. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    I checked mine today, I could not lock it up on the street (without standing on it) but I could get the tire to howl.
    I have about 5 psi in the tire, so I suspect its got a huge amount of grip on dry pavement!
    In the dirt I can lock it up, somewhat easy, so in my book, its just about right.

I am on call so I did 40 local miles in the dirt, 65-70F, sunny and breezy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was very nice out there, a bunch of horses, some hunters parked off the dirt roads, bow season?
    Ride Now, WECSOG, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  6. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pine Barrens looks awesome as always. Gun season here in NC. Mostly dogs, trucks and radios with a few still hunters.
    frog13 likes this.
  7. Yamasakialo

Oddometer:
    So today I took the rear wheel off and went through every part of the brakes. 4500 miles and the shoes look new. That is probably a bad thing. I cleaned the drum with brake cleaner. Wiped it down and sanded putting 45° marks in it. Wiped it down again. I just sanded the shoes with some finer sandpaper. 45° marks in them too. Wiped everything off with a dry shop paper towel. All linkages and pivots were working as they should. Put it all back together and took a ride. Gently applying the brake to seat the shoes. After I was satisfied they should be seated, I started doing some easy stops. Then some hard stops. No difference from before. The only way I could lock the rear wheel was on wet grass.

I am ordering aftermarket shoes. If they don't work, look for post of my disk brake conversion.
    JagLite and Dno like this.
  8. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very bad experiences with brake kleen. Has a fast evaporation rate that lifts the oil out of the pores but does not remove. Had many comebacks in drum trailer brakes. Thats why we switched to dawn and water. Big arguments in the shop because no one believed it. Years later alot of mechanics switched over.
  9. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hot soapy water and compressed air on shoes. Nice if ya have wet coarse sand paper. All in one step. Then blow dry
    JagLite and Yamasakialo like this.
  10. Yamasakialo

Oddometer:
    I will try the dawn and water. I did not put brake cleaner on the shoes. Just sanded and wiped.

I really don't have much hope of getting the stock stuff to work. I have done car and truck brakes my whole life. And a few motorcycles thru the years. I put race car brakes on my wife's buick lesabre. (She complained one too many times). Now she loves it. That's what I'm thinking on the tw. Got to get it like I want.
    JagLite and Dno like this.
  11. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok how about EBC. The xt got these parts. Seem to work well outside the issues we all deal with on drum brakes. Little magic going on for or against you. Good luck!
  12. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EBC y503g from tw forum. Interesting it comes with the cuts/ grooves that I suggested in the first post way back. Kinda cool. I stole the groove/cut idea from mopedarmy well over a decade ago. EBC calls em rain grooves. Ok that works. Double check part number
  13. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sidenote I once installed all new brakes on a horse trailer. Came back 1 month later with "no brakes". I pulled the drums to find the assemblies full of glass bead from sand blasting the trailer. We fixed no charge me cussing redoing the job for free. I also repacked the bearings just in case. Blasters could have bagged the brakes!
  14. Yamasakialo

Oddometer:
    I looked up the Y503G. Can only get it from England. The 503G is available in the USA just about everywhere. Wonder what the difference is?
    Dno likes this.
  15. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm.... :hmmmmm

I think your TW heard you mention a disc conversion and now it won't be happy until you do it. :hide

We gotta keep our bikes happy! :ricky

I know I am looking forward to seeing how you decide to do it.
    I've read online how others have converted a drum to disc but there is no clear winner that I have found so far as to how-to.
    A couple scary conversions, a couple heavy conversions, and a few expensive jobs.

I would want excellent engineering, low weight, and reasonable cost.
    Preferably without requiring machining the drum or adapter since that drastically increases the cost for those without a mill and/or lathe.

Yeah, a simple, inexpensive bolt on kit, is that too much to ask? :dunno
    Dno and Yamasakialo like this.
  16. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check procycle description of " lead out chamfer". Im revisting the mod list. Racking my memory. If the friction point of the shoe is in the middle some extra leverage exists. From pivot to, friction point then distance to cam. I always beveled for control but the leverage is a better ratio when away from cam like a pry bar. The grooves are for cleaning and gas/dust dissipation. Crazy stuff but works. On the EBC pads I installed I cut the grooves. Never seen factory grooves till today.

Honestly I almost prefer drum brakes. Calipers work way better when the piston is cleaned every season. Hardly anyone does this.

Try any EBC that fits and mod. Or get crafty at part sourcing and dimensions to make a disck brake conversion. The slickest be in the case where the outboard bearing is. Get a 3.5 to 1 ratio or so. I have an old minibike I crafted a band brake on the centrifugal clutch bell on crankshaft. Has 5to1 gearing and it locks easy till the chain gets derailed. Ha
    JagLite likes this.
  17. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll put this video up. Saw the EBC shoes in the thumbnail. Havnt watched all his tw videos. But I enjoyed the coleman ones. Good channel content with some long offroad coleman mod rides and tw stuff. End of video has the brake shoes.

JagLite likes this.
  18. Yamasakialo

Oddometer:
    Rode about 50 miles yesterday in the NC mountains. All dirt roads and 2 up. After about 20 miles the shoes must have bedded in. Rear brakes were actually slowing us down. When my wife got off to look at a view, I tried it out. I could lock up the rear wheel. It took some effort but it would.

I am still going to try the EBC shoes when they get here. I will give an update when I have thoroughly tested them out.
    Nobade, JagLite and Dno like this.
  19. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good deal. NC swamplands here, kinda dry though. Near the Albemarle Sound and been 2up alot on the tw so far.
    JagLite likes this.
  20. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great to hear!! I see the DDC's are available for TW's on Procycle's site.

Currently job searching, so when everything is stable I plan to upgrade to the DDC's, and hopefully, maybe a shock as well! :thumb