The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    Yes, go back to the 50 rear and give it a shot. 3 teeth in the rear equals 1 in the front.
  2. Frostbit

Frostbit Is it cold in here?

Oddometer:
    I've been threatening to stud up the TW for months and finally got around to it last weekend. After three hours of putting it to the test on a local lake I have made a few adjustments and will try it out again this weekend.

[​IMG]

Even with the less than perfect stud arrangement the TW is nothing but four season fun. :wings

[​IMG]
    cateyetech likes this.
  3. Surfn54

Surfn54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have finished my bike for now: Nothing too special

Stock Bike except:
    15/50 sprockets
    New dId o-ring chain
    IMS superstock foot pegs
    Roxrisers
    Trailtech 55w Halogen headlight
    Sargent Cycle Saddle

http://s471.photobucket.com/albums/r...view=slideshow

Thanks for all the answering of many a question

Surf
    <!-- / message -->
  4. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Surf,

The tw doesn't have the hp/torque to pull that sprocket combo (15/47) in 5th gear on a steep uphill or in a strong headwind.

I was running a 14/47 with the stock carb, and was really disappointed on uphill highway runs in 5th gear. I was getting ready to change it back to the stock 14/50.

Before I did, I thought I would try a jet change. I put in a 130 jet, and it gave the engine just enough boost for me to keep the 14/47. (the 15/50 is nearly the same ratio as the 14/47).

On the steepest inclines (in NC) I still need to downshift into fourth.

Great looking headlight on your bike.

jb
  5. elkchaser

elkchaser n00b

Oddometer:
    Thats a great looking setup Frostbit.
  6. mutt2jeff

mutt2jeff Keep firing assholes!

Oddometer:
    I figured i should put the GF's bike in here. We added a 3gal aux. tank to the rear rack because she was commuting on the bike and tired of filling up the gas tank every 3 days. The range is almost 400 miles now, depending on the riding. I plan on picking on up, doing the same tank mod so we can go to Alaska on the cheap this coming summer.

[​IMG]
  7. HenryJ

HenryJ S-10CREWCAB.COM

Oddometer:
    Just installed a Maxxis M6006 130/80-18 front tire:

[​IMG]
  8. Macadam Drifter

Macadam Drifter Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer:
    I removed the tools and they are now in the top box and added a circuit panel for
    2 Aux power plugs (yet to be installed), GPS power and engine instrument power.

MkD

[​IMG]
  9. Frostbit

Frostbit Is it cold in here?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:wings :wings :wings
    cateyetech likes this.
  10. Surfn54

Surfn54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    JB44.......Thanks for the tip! I do not mind downshifting on a hill, because the benefits of the lower rpms in 5th on level are great. I will however do the 130 jet.......did you also adjust the needle?
    Anything else?

Thanks, Surf
  11. deadbird

deadbird Very Large Bird

Oddometer:

Oh Crap that looks like fun. Maybe I need to go to Alaska after all.
  12. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    Contact Deadbird and you too can have a very similar headlight on your TW for a lot less $$$...
    [​IMG]
  13. shoco

shoco Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Y'all,

I'm considering downsizing from my current ride, a DR650. I say "considering", because I'm really in love with the DR, but I would like a bike that I can throw in the back of my Honda Odyssey minivan, or on the bumper, and the DR650 is too heavy for that (maybe I should just buy a new car!).

Plus, the DR650 is a little too much for me to handle when the going gets tough in the dirt (unless real dirt tires are installed, which presents its own set of problems).

My short list consists of (in no particular order):

1. TW200
    2. CRF230L
    3. XT250

But I've never ridden the TW. I've read countless threads about it, and I gather that it's "loads of fun", but can you help me out and be a little more descriptive? I'm 5'10, and about 225lbs. The DR650, while not very powerful, is very torquey, and I'm more than a little nervous going to such a small displacement bike.

I'd be using the bike primarily on the dirt, but would also use it to ride it around town just a little (maybe 10-20% of the time).

Thanks.
  14. elkchaser

elkchaser n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm sure some experts will come along and give you all the tech answsers on each bike. I can tell you this, I looked at both the the TW 200 and the Honda CRF230L.
    1) I would give Honda the edge in aftermarket parts and upgrades.
    2) Resale value I would give it to the TW 200, there hard to find under $2000-$2500 used. People love them in the big cities for a commuter.
    3)The kind of riding you sound like you do I would say you couldn't go wrong with the TW200. I'm 5'10 and 215 and the bike fits like a glove.

I do the same kind of riding 80% single track and forest roads and 20% in town on a nice day for fun.

4) And this was the big factor. Every time I sit on the TW 200 I get a big old sh:lol3 tty grin. The bike just makes you want to smile.

I have a 08 with few upgrades and planning some more.

This is a good read:
    Why did you buy your TW?

http://tw200forum.com/forums/63454/ShowPost.aspx

Good luck in your quest,
    Matt
  15. shoco

Oddometer:
    Hey Matt,

Thanks for the input, and for the tw200 forum thread (which I've already read).

I'm hoping to hear from more tw200 owners here.

FWIW, I'm not looking for any info on the other two bikes I mentioned. Just the TW (that's why I posted here in the TW thread).

Thanks again! :D
  16. Surfn54

Surfn54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shoco,
    Your weight is not an issue. Many weigh much more and the bike handles fine due to its low torque and low suspension and handling. You cant really compare to other 225's or dirt bikes.
    It shouldnt be a problem to go test ride one at a dealer. The bike in 09 is the exact same bike since 2001. Just whatever you buy, plan on maybe a grand or less for what are considered by some as needed mods. But that is a personal matter that everyone decides.
    I can only say that after riding lots of fast and more powerful bikes, this tw200 has given me an attitude change for the better. I now ride and have more fun and worry less.

Surf
  17. shoco

Oddometer:
    Is that because of the fat tires, or some other reason?

Awesome. As my wife reminded me this morning, I can use an attitude change.
  18. Surfn54

Surfn54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, and its not as light and so not as nervous as a dirt bike tends to be. Easier to control. More like a tractor, but with some better speed. I hope that helps.

Surf
  19. Lima Tango

Lima Tango Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'2", 250lbs and I have an '07 TW200. For the kind of off road stuff you want to do, its fine. The TW is a little mountain goat. I ride on roads. It is a little slow on uphill grades, but overall, not a big problem. I stick with smaller roads. I don't do freeways, and avoid highways whenever I can. For speeds up to about 50, its ok.

LT
  20. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:
    My 47 tooth replacement rear sprocket just shipped and ...well I'm a pussy and have never swapped a sprocket, any advice on what I need to do aside from taking it to the dealer? :D