The Yamaha TW200 Thread...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neepuk, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Macadam Drifter

Macadam Drifter Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer:
    1. Aerostich Mount for Zumo
    2. Vapor Gage for RPM and CHT (CHT in upper left of gage)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. shoco

shoco Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input.

I am planning on going to a fellow ADV member's house tomorrow morning to try her TW200. I will report back with my impression of the bike.
  3. shoco

shoco Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I rode the TW today, and...wow that was fun! First gear was ridiculously short, but otherwise, I couldn't help but smile while riding the thing.

One of these just might be in my future.
  4. Macadam Drifter

Macadam Drifter Explorer of the Backroads

Oddometer:
    Tweated and ready to load up for some spring weather.

MkD

[​IMG]
  5. Laoch

Laoch Am I still here? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, sorry if this is 205.

What is normal handling for the TW?

I rode my SO's around a little today. First time on the road. It doesn't lean in corners and making turns is a bit wierd. The front seems to have a mind of it's own.

Is it wonky because of the big tires?

Any tips?
  6. JB44

JB44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As with all carb work there is a bit of trial and error, even on identical bikes.

The carb tutorial by Centerline I linked to in an earlier post, suggested using 5 (.01) washers as shims under the needle. I ended up using 3. Unfortunately you need to disassemble and reassemble the carb for each trial...can be a pain.

http://tw200forum.com/forums/32778/ShowPost.aspx

If you are careful, you can remove the throttle cables, loosen the carb clamps, and rotate the carb 90 degrees to change the shims without having to fully remove the carb.

jb
  7. dynamos2000

dynamos2000 is boinking your mom

Oddometer:
    Slowly turning into the perfect commuter

Original on left, D2Moto on right, cost less than $25 to my door :D

[​IMG]
  8. Surfn54

Surfn54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey dirtygrunt.........What is a 205? What is an SO?
  9. Bowfin

Bowfin Knobby Shredder

Oddometer:
    What model did you buy the pegs for? I didn't see TW on the list, just like i don't see my '86 XT600 on there. I want to adapt some big pegs and those look pretty similar to mine.
  10. elkchaser

elkchaser n00b

Oddometer:

<INPUT type=hidden value=1013274 name=IID> <INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=sck> <INPUT type=hidden value=0 name=PriceStyle> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=12 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=middle><TD align=middle width=180 height=197 rowSpan=3>[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Enlarge

</TD><TD align=left>YAMAHA PW 50 80 TW 200 Foot Pegs

SKU: FP003
    <!-- AddThis Button BEGIN --><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>addthis_logo = 'http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/23000247/Images/6/d2moto-logo.jpg';addthis_pub = 'd2moto';addthis_options = 'favorites, email, digg, delicious, myspace, facebook, google, live, more';</SCRIPT>[​IMG]<SCRIPT src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/152/addthis_widget.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT> <!-- AddThis Button END -->​

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Price: $22.95
    Now $14.95

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Quantity:<INPUT maxLength=3 size=3 value=1 name=quantity> [​IMG]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

And if you sign up for there gold card you get 15% off.:clap

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle colSpan=4>[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=middle bgColor=gold colSpan=2>Gold Membership Program</TD></TR><TR><TD>
    Become one of our FREE Gold member TODAY, you will receive :
    - Instant 10% off on your first order subtotal
    - SAVE up to 15% on your future orders from our website www.D2moto.com ! (new promotional code will be sent along with your gold membership card)
    -NO Annual Fee, NO Hidden Fee, 100% FREE Lifetime Membership!!
    10% off Promotional code: GHJJJK(use this code during checkout)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  11. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    I bought mine on ebay a few months ago... Look again, they're there. The d2motos are actually pretty rad pegs for 20 bucks. I put some on my DR too.
  12. Laoch

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Sorry, I've been hanging out in JM too much.

205 just means repeat, rehash, old news, etc. SO is my Significant Other. My wifey.:D

So does the TW just steer funny?
    I did find that the tires were under inflated.
  13. Laoch

Oddometer:
    Buncha slackers- I actually ask for moto info and get ignored :deal
  14. Surfn54

Surfn54 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.............. OR THIS BLOG!....... just kiddin

I have personally never felt that the steering was unusal. If the tires were flat, that doesnt help. But with hundreds of different kinds of bikes, and I have ridden my fair share,who knows...only you can decide, and if it steers funny to you, I wouldnt buy one.
    As already stated, its more like a fast tractor, not a dirt bike or a normal fast motorcycle. Thats the appeal to some, but not everyone.
  15. neepuk

neepuk Such a drag...

Oddometer:
    The steering was all jacked up on my 91 when I got it... Needed steering head bearings badly. Don't buy the dealer bearings ever again! Just get a roller bearing set off ebay or your local Tucker Rocky supplier.

Who can tell me what the two different carbs offered on the TW are? I've got the old kind (whatever that is) and I want to swap it out for something more simple... Will a ttr225 carb fit right on there? Any other ideas?
  16. Laoch

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies :thumb

I have, and do, ride many bikes and this one feels weird. I got it for my wife and we have ridden it quite a bit off road, never on the road. I'll double check the head bearings.

I was try to get an idea if other riders thought the TW felt way different than a "regular" bike.
  17. switz

switz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Low and slow is my experience.:D
  18. kj7687

kj7687 KJ - just KJ - okay :)

Oddometer:
    First off let me say that this is an awesome branch of the ADV forums. I have been meaning to come and post some very useful(I think) information reguarding my experiences with my TW, and comparisons of it to other small bikes, etc. However, I have been very busy and haven't had any time, so that will have to wait. For now:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=1 rowSpan=2>
    [​IMG]
    </TD><TD class=txt4 style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top width="100%" colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%" align=left><TBODY><TR><TD class=txt3 vAlign=top align=left>I am looking for a service manual for the TW200 that gives a little bit better (more detailed) instructions than the downloadable .PDF manual that I found from this forum(www.tw200forum.com - copy and pasting here lol...). I am a knob head and I need more precise instructions or I know I'll screw something up when working on the TW. After being royally screwed by the dealer service department, more than once (long and very unfortunate story that I will write up some other time...), I have decided to start doing all of my own maintenance and repair on both my bikes. I have done a few simple things on my cars in the past, and I've changed the oil and filters and adjusted the chain on my TW, but nothing major. It would be an understatement to say that I am NOT mechanically inclined. So I am basically looking for a "repair and maintenance guide: for DUMMIES" kind of thing, for both my TW200 and my 97 Suzuki DR200. With this in mind, can anyone reccomend a service manual for either of my bikes that might best meet my needs? <HR align=left width="25%" SIZE=1></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  19. jetpoweredmonkey

jetpoweredmonkey Copilot: GSD Sharpe

Oddometer:
    Hey dirtygrunt, I just bought a TW. Trust me when I say that it rides like a regular motorcycle - you can tell the tires are a little "different", but it will lean over and wrap around a corner faster than quick, no problem.

However, right before I bought mine, I rode a co-worker's beater. He is, shall we say, a "casual" motorcyclist, and not too focused on maintenance...that bike handled like absolute crap, but I could feel by pushing on them that the tires were way underinflated, so I'm chalking it up to that.

I insisted on test riding my bike before buying it, just in case they all handle that way!
  20. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha Models TW200 1987~2000 Motorcycle - Rear Shock Assy

Date: 13/02/2009

Supplier Name: Yamaha Motor Australia Pty Ltd

Product Make: Yamaha

Product Model: TW200 Motorcycle

Target Number: 713

Model Years From: 1987 ~ 2000

Consequences: If the rider continues to use the vehicle with a cracked rear shock mount, the mounting boss may break off resulting in a loss of control.

Campaign Number:

VIN Range: 3XT-0006101 ~ 0008372. 3XT-0000101 ~ 0004262. 3AW-0002373~0009605. 2KA-0002101~0002379.

Serial Range:

Product Info:

Defect Details: The welded portion of the lower rear shock mount may crack from vibration and impacts generated from bumps while riding.

Consumer action:

Market Coverage: National

Recall Coverage: National

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government has overall policy responsibility for monitoring the conduct and outcomes of motor vehicle safety recalls in Australia.